RCBS hand priming tool.

IdahoJoe

I have an RCBS hand priming tool. The one that requires shell holders. On certain brands of brass it seets the primer high and I have to finish with the press. Would the redding competition shell holders let me adjust this.

thanks

Not sure about the Competition shell holders, but I doubt it. If you are using the older RCBS shell holders and a newer primer tool, you might need the newer RCBS shell holders with the beveled bottom. Also, be sure you have the correct punch and insert for the primer you're using. If your brass is new, you may need to use a pocket uniforming tool to make sure all pockets are equal depths. This tool will cut the radius, at the bottom of the primer pocket, to an even depth and make seating much more consistent.

I'm pretty certain it won't help. The Redding comp shell holders are the same dimension from the bottom to the base the shell. The added height is essentially on the top rim of the shell holder.

That's interesting that your priming tool isn't setting them deep enough. I have the exact same tool and it works fine with any brass I have used in it. Maybe call RCBS and talk to them. If you get the right person they are pretty helpful.

I have an RCBS hand priming tool. The one that requires shell holders. On certain brands of brass it seets the primer high and I have to finish with the press. Would the redding competition shell holders let me adjust this.

thanks
If you have the instruction primer Rod assembly, the part that has the spring screw into primer rod and you have to push sleeve down you see hole, use paper clip to tighten but don't over tighten. Only warning they give is don't use RCBS SH with center hole larger than .270

thanks

How often does this occur? I have used priming tools from RCBS, Lee, and Hornady to prime thousands of rifle cases over the last 25+ years and don't ever recall any of them not fully seating a primer, BUT I do use a K&M primer pocket uniforming tool on every new piece of brass before it's 1st loading.
Before I spent any money on any new anything, I would first try to figure out why this is happening.

I have an rcbs hand primer that I bought about 20 yrs ago when I started loading 40s&w and it worked just fine. A few years later I started loading my 7RM and that hand tool would not seat the primers fully. I recently purchased a used lot of reloading equipment that included the same tool. The new to me tool works well on any rifle caliber. I have tried interchanging parts to see what the problem is to no avail. Now I just use one for rifle and one for handgun.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.