Best (your thoughts) barrel length

I think there too many variables that cloud the issue in regard to barrel length. The most important factor to me is contour shape and size…
I feel my Kimber rifles have all had long skinny barrels, which were perfectly balanced for the weight of the rifle. The skinny part was not ideal, but for intended purpose of taking shots to 500 or so from proper hunting rests, it worked.
My Sendero II rifles barrel contours are great from a rest, but horrible from offhand in a pinch. Way too heavy for my liking offhand, but perfect from a rest or bags and bi-pod.
My comp rifles ran 32" barrels most of the time, but 28" was the shortest and 30" was a compromise. A barrel like these with a 1.25" straight contour is not really anything but a target rifle, but can be hunted with in the right circumstance. I used to hunt with my 6.5x47 Lapua, it had an F-class stock and a HS-Precision VSSF II stock with the barrel channel altered to suit. That 30" barrel was superb for targets and hunting, especially over a pack…loved hunting with it, hated carrying it, however.
This is my take on barrel length and weight…use the longest barrel and contour that will not make the rifle front heavy, heavy scopes are often the biggest contributor to this fact.

Cheers.

I think there too many variables that cloud the issue in regard to barrel length. The most important factor to me is contour shape and size…
I feel my Kimber rifles have all had long skinny barrels, which were perfectly balanced for the weight of the rifle. The skinny part was not ideal, but for intended purpose of taking shots to 500 or so from proper hunting rests, it worked.
My Sendero II rifles barrel contours are great from a rest, but horrible from offhand in a pinch. Way too heavy for my liking offhand, but perfect from a rest or bags and bi-pod.
My comp rifles ran 32" barrels most of the time, but 28" was the shortest and 30" was a compromise. A barrel like these with a 1.25" straight contour is not really anything but a target rifle, but can be hunted with in the right circumstance. I used to hunt with my 6.5x47 Lapua, it had an F-class stock and a HS-Precision VSSF II stock with the barrel channel altered to suit. That 30" barrel was superb for targets and hunting, especially over a pack…loved hunting with it, hated carrying it, however.
This is my take on barrel length and weight…use the longest barrel and contour that will not make the rifle front heavy, heavy scopes are often the biggest contributor to this fact.

Cheers.
I had LRI spin up a gorgeously deep fluted 7.5T Bartlein M4 contour barrel in 6.5 Sherman at 26 1/2". Great shooter. Terminus LA, ARC MBrace rings, Swarovski Z8, TT Diamond. Still fireforming: 100 done, 100 to go. (Shoots consistently in the .3's with the ff loads Fabulous bench gun, great Antelope truck/tripod gun. BUT Definitely Not a stalking outfit. I'm thinking about the potential balance benefit of a Bartlein Carbon to bring the balance point back towards the grip. If it wasn't so barrel/nose heavy, I wouldn't even mind the weight. Hmmm - decision time: sell and start over?, re-barrel in Carbon, maybe resell the fluted M4 barrel? Any other good ideas I might be missing?

Seems like a textbook application for a CF barrel…

I think everyone could agree that it's personal preference. I hunt spot and stalk. All of my hunting rifles are now 16.5 inch barrels. I use a suppressor too, so that was a big consideration as well. I don't like lugging around heavier than it needs to be and it's been proven that short barrels still have long range capabilities.

I'm glad to hear you're still out there using it after 125 years!!!!! 🍻
I'm glad to hear you're still out there using it after 125 years!!!!! 🍻
Have noticed if the barrel has a roll stamp that reads, Manufactured By The Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New Haven, Connecticut.U.S.A., it was built for a century of use with a bit of basic care.

Have noticed if the barrel has a roll stamp that reads, Manufactured By The Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New Haven, Connecticut.U.S.A., it was built for a century of use with a bit of basic care.
What year did that come to an end? I have my dad's pre'64 (serial states '61) that's probably from there, but the '16 isn't? I never understood the difference between the pre and post until I bought the '16.

My 7SAUM long range rifle has a 28" HV barrel. If I had to do it again I would use 28" again. Heavy bullets for caliber, easier to get back velocity without putting the stress on the brass, and a longer throat also helps achieve achieve my goals. The HV is a bit front heavy but it holds nicely.

If you use Quickload or GRT, and it shows more than 5k psi at the muzzle for your given combination, it needs more barrel. Excess muzzle pressure means wasted potential. Obviously there are tradeoffs, but you see my point.

I just recently won an auction for a lightly used 32 inch bartlein .257" barrel (don't even know the twist, still need to pick it up).

It's presently chambered in 25-06AI.

I'm strongly considering making it a .257 wby (I already have tons of brass and dies for that cartridge).

If I do that someday I'll resurrect this thread and let you know how it compared to my 24 inch vanguard performance wise.

I have both New Haven made and Portuguese made Model 70's.
The Portugal made rifles are tighter in tolerance than the New Haven models, don't read into this that the New Haven is bad, it's not.
I was very fortunate to be able to order a Classic Stainless in 375 H&H back in the 1990's, it was 1of 2 in the country (Australia) and the other one was paid for, so I bought it and shipped it across the country, had my dealers license back then. As soon as I received it I took the Tupperware stock off, bedded a HS-Precision Sporter stock to it, ripped the barrel off and re-chambered it to 375 Weatherby.
Absolute stonker of a rifle, gets 3.000fps from a 260g Accubonds and 2890fps from 300g pills…love it actually!

Cheers.

If you use Quickload or GRT, and it shows more than 5k psi at the muzzle for your given combination, it needs more barrel. Excess muzzle pressure means wasted potential. Obviously there are tradeoffs, but you see my point.
When the excessive muzzle pressure shows on QL I'll do changes too the powder and coal. This of course isn't from a proven load. I try for exit pressure between 6,500-8,500k or at least below 10k when possible? I'm working on a charge that doesn't use carbon for an explosive that saves on heat and makes no need for a longer oal cartridge. I'm not a chemist, but do talk with chemist and getting closer to an end result. So many things in and about nature that helps arrive at my idea.

Lately I've been thinking about an 8mm on a .338 Lapua Improved. I heard the improved case holds about 113 grains of water. Maybe someone can correct me.
My 338 NMI holds ~111 grains of water after fireforming with Peterson brass.

I had mine built with a 28" barrel. Shooting 300 grain Berger mid-high 2700fps while fireforming with H1000 powder.

Last edited: