Best (your thoughts) barrel length

ARlife4me

What (in your mind) is an optimum length or cartridge is best? Some barrel lengths don't fo certain cartridges justice (ie, 20" 338lm). I'm sure some of the length per cartridges you've chosen are fine.

I think 18-22" in 308win is more in the best/optimum range. Al though I do have a 26" in the same cartridge.
264wm/300wm is good at 24-26".
338lm @ 24" doesn't do it justice and better suited 26-28", especially in the heavy sided bullets.
5.56/223 is good from 16"-20.

My next one will most likely be 28". I used one for many years with no trouble in woods or sagebrush. Presently I have a 24" 8mm and a 26" 7mm.

I am running 28 on my 30-06. 2830 with 215 Bergers ain't bad. Confirmed drop at 1200 with 9.5 from 200

Last edited:
Nothing matters but intended use. Would you pick a 9 lb, 26" 28 nosler for a prairie dog hunt? Unlikely. Would you pick a 16 lb, 32" barrel .338 Lapua intended to be ran suppressed as a pack in back country mule deer gun? Unlikely. Would you pick a 8.5 lb, 20" .308 cal magnum of some flavor for an open country pronghorn rifle that stays close to the truck? Unlikely. I WOULD use all three of those rifles in certain circumstances, but not for the specific purposes listed. There simply isn't a "best" barrel length. However, there is appropriate choices for intended uses. It will vary based upon intended use.

Nothing matters but intended use. Would you pick a 9 lb, 26" 28 nosler for a prairie dog hunt? Unlikely. Would you pick a 16 lb, 32" barrel .338 Lapua intended to be ran suppressed as a pack in back country mule deer gun? Unlikely. Would you pick a 8.5 lb, 20" .308 cal magnum of some flavor for an open country pronghorn rifle that stays close to the truck? Unlikely. I WOULD use all three of those rifles in certain circumstances, but not for the specific purposes listed. There simply isn't a "best" barrel length. However, there is appropriate choices for intended uses. It will vary based upon intended use.
Nothing was questioned about "use", only about optimum length per cartridge. Not twist rate, action, contour or stock.

For me it depends on the bullet per given cartridge. I usually choose heavy for cal (high BC) bullets.
I run what-ifs in QuickLoad for fastest velocity powder, providing 104% fill at SAAMI max pressure, and muzzle pressure below 8Kpsi, for a given bullet weight, and barrel length to get there.
A lot of times that puts me an inch or two longer than factory common.

I also consider weight and balance. At some point, every inch of barrel added means adding more weight in the buttstock, further raising overall gun weight. Otherwise I can get extra hop off bags or bipod.
If I put myself there, it can lead to a lot of trial & error efforts to gain optimum balance.

And I don't want a big fireball at the muzzle. I want a very clean muzzle release, and less disturbing of the gun (and my nerves).

How long is a piece of rope?

"Optimal" seems open ended to me.

My buddy has an 18" 300WSM that shoot copper solids and crushes everything from Nilgai on down inside 400yrds

Opposite of that...

Lots of 308 FTR shooters run 30"-32" barrels to maximize velocity with 200gr and up bullets.

How long is a piece of rope?

"Optimal" seems open ended to me.

My buddy has an 18" 300WSM that shoot copper solids and crushes everything from Nilgai on down inside 400yrds

Opposite of that...

Lots of 308 FTR shooters run 30"-32" barrels to maximize velocity with 200gr and up bullets.
Would you have a 50bmg with a snub barrel? Probably not. Some choices are made by experience..........makes sense! Even if you were shooting bench would you have a 40" 20cal barrel? Probably not! Seems like some cartridges (regardless of bullet weight and non-factory standard) do better performance (not bullet performance) wise? Although it does take certain powders and amount also too hurl/push bullets down and out the barrel without lodging inside? Trying to get complete use of the powder in the cartridge for the barrel length to be optimum length. Like a 14" barrel on a 264wm..............losing performance on such a cartridge better suited for something longer as not to waste.

Recent Posts