Best (your thoughts) barrel length

I have both New Haven made and Portuguese made Model 70's.
The Portugal made rifles are tighter in tolerance than the New Haven models, don't read into this that the New Haven is bad, it's not.
I was very fortunate to be able to order a Classic Stainless in 375 H&H back in the 1990's, it was 1of 2 in the country (Australia) and the other one was paid for, so I bought it and shipped it across the country, had my dealers license back then. As soon as I received it I took the Tupperware stock off, bedded a HS-Precision Sporter stock to it, ripped the barrel off and re-chambered it to 375 Weatherby.
Absolute stonker of a rifle, gets 3.000fps from a 260g Accubonds and 2890fps from 300g pills…love it actually!

Cheers.
Wow, who'd a thought, made in Portugal address on a Winchester barrel was an upgrade from the New Haven, CT works rifles. Thought Winchester took the brand down quite a bit with that move to another country. Have never bought a Winchester, with Portugal as country of origin on the barrel. Sounds like You made Your rifle work, that is a good thing.

Are you saying you have a 338lm Improved, and it only holds 111grn of h2o? I hope not, because regular Lapua 338 brass holds 114.3 from my chamber, and gets 2910 fps from a 28" barrel with N570.

Great way to absolutely chop the nuts off a 300wm. 😂😂

I have two other 300WMs, both with 26, and another with 24. The 26 inch Bartlein CF runs the 215s at 3023. Interesting part, the 18 inch one with the can attached is still shorter that any of the 300WMs. Accomplished what I wanted.

I understand what you were trying to do, just could have done it with a 300 saum and 13grns less powder. Ultimately, it's yours and you're the one that has to be happy, that's all that matters.

Have lots of 300WM ammo, and components. Plus, it is just the cost of the barrel

Performance FIRST, Convenience Distant Second is the crowd that I like to roll with.

I never had trouble swinging 30" 870s on coyotes or ducks coming in at warp speed, and neither did the Ithaca 10g Auto. with its 32" full choke.

Barrel length is such a personal thing, hard to tell another man or woman what is right for them because of the different ways that people hunt. I have used 30" barrels out of Box stands.

I like my rifles to be just a tad muzzle-heavy, which helps the muzzle flip.

If I were selling guns, I would be pushing light and short with all the appropriate marketing buzzwords.

Last edited:
What year did that come to an end? I have my dad's pre'64 (serial states '61) that's probably from there, but the '16 isn't? I never understood the difference between the pre and post until I bought the '16.
They were always changing barrel roll marks over the years to reflect changes, Nickel Steel, just one of the cool things to look for on the barrel of those old rigs.

Performance FIRST, Convenience Distant Second is the crowd that I like to roll with.

I never had trouble swinging 30" 870s on coyotes coming in at warp speed, and neither did the Ithaca 10g Auto. with its 32" full choke.

Barrel length is such a personal thing, hard to tell another man or woman what is right for them because of the different ways that people hunt. I have used 30" barrels out of Box stands.

I like my rifles to be just a tad muzzle-heavy, which helps the muzzle flip.

If I were selling guns, I would be pushing light and short with all the appropriate marketing buzzwords.
That's why I'm fast at adjusting direction............more body change for faster acquisition. Like bending knees, rotating at hips and adjusting shoulders while having your eyes on target 1st.