best western US hunting round

The rangefinder works well in areas with good reflective objects, its in the woods that it gets weak. Leupold says that they will not replace anymore. I have already been through a few of them. I had a savage 10FP in 308 but the stock it came with was not worth a **** and the rifle could not group an MOA. I had to get a stock from bells and carlson to get that rifle to group a 1/2 MOA. Ill personally never buy a savage again. I liked the sendero because it feels like the M-24, all I did was up the magnification and caliber. I do not even shoot handloads or matchgrade and ill put that sendero up against an M24 or an M40 any day. I get where you are coming from on your view. But no matter how you argue it at those ranges you do not have a good amount of energy.
A good amount of energy? Compared to what? There is a sizable group on this site that shoot large mags @ LR. Furthermore, elk or moose are the target. Lets just say 1000 as a number since you think 650 is long in genral. My 16 yr. old has taken 11 game from 350-800 yrds. My rifle, which is on the small end of large mags has 3046 E @ 650 and 2291@ 1000.I was shooting elk 20 yrs. ago with a lesser cartridge @ 500-850 with no problem

non vld bullets you have no energy. Vld handloads and its another matter. Course I shoot an edge at everthing so Im a tad jaded.

A good amount of energy? Compared to what? There is a sizable group on this site that shoot large mags @ LR. Furthermore, elk or moose are the target. Lets just say 1000 as a number since you think 650 is long in genral. My 16 yr. old has taken 11 game from 350-800 yrds. My rifle, which is on the small end of large mags has 3046 E @ 650 and 2291@ 1000.I was shooting elk 20 yrs. ago with a lesser cartridge @ 500-850 with no problem

Yeah I think my lowly savage edge at 650 might pack a tad more wallop than a 30-06 at 100 yds + better sd+ frontal area+++++a lotta other advantages.

Congradulations on your accomplishments, I refer mostly to those that needlessly shoot at animals that are outside of their capabilities. Personally I have never shot anything at 800 yards except for sand people. I never shot at an animal that far cause my 300 has less knockdown power than a 30-30 at those long distances. That just does not seem practical to me for elk. Its just one of those things called personal ethics that people have. Its not intended to offend anyone its just there for conversation purposes. I usually also take peoples long range claims with a grain of salt. Some people will take a 200 yard shot and swear it was much further. Sorry for offending you

Congradulations on your accomplishments, I refer mostly to those that needlessly shoot at animals that are outside of their capabilities. Personally I have never shot anything at 800 yards except for sand people. I never shot at an animal that far cause my 300 has less knockdown power than a 30-30 at those long distances. That just does not seem practical to me for elk. Its just one of those things called personal ethics that people have. Its not intended to offend anyone its just there for conversation purposes. I usually also take peoples long range claims with a grain of salt. Some people will take a 200 yard shot and swear it was much further. Sorry for offending you
Yeah there are a lotta morons out there shooting factory ammo and guns they dont clean, and they only shoot 10 rds a year. I have been a member here a long time but never posted and this place doesnt have many spray and pray guys. LR takes $$$ time and brains. Also your 300 being weak at 800 is why most of us shoot the highest bc we can find with a milk bottle behind it. An edge at 800 is a sledgehammer. At 5000 elev its running over 3k in energy. 338 300smks do damage at 800 that make a 300 at the muzzle with STOCK ammo seem inadequate. And most of the range bs 'ing seems light around here. Guys without $3k rangefinders and .2moa guns.....not so much. And 800 is plenty close for a 300 win BUT...long barrel and real bullets.

A 300 win mag has right at 1000 ft/lbs energy at 900 yards with a hornady factory 180 BTSP. More than plenty for a white tail. That is with a 24 inch barrel. Assuming 3100 FPS MV. Used to be the heavy mag stuff, now I believe they are achieving the same with superformance. But you said you do not have as much energy as a 30-30, that doesn't make sense. Elk have been killed with the 30-30 for years until someone came along and told the hunters doing it that it wouldn't work anymore and they needed a 30-06 then 300 win mag then RUMs. No not at long range, but at 100+, and that bullet is only carrying about 800 ft/lbs at 100 yards. You got that at 1000. But true, not the velocity for expansion. Either way there are better bullets out there that will hold out that far.

A 300 win mag has right at 1000 ft/lbs energy at 900 yards with a hornady factory 180 BTSP. More than plenty for a white tail.

With it being a western question I'm guessing its aimed more at elk etc. But a pro can kill anything at 900 with a 300. Mo better with a 338 tho.

A 300 win mag has right at 1000 ft/lbs energy at 900 yards with a hornady factory 180 BTSP. More than plenty for a white tail. That is with a 24 inch barrel. Assuming 3100 FPS MV. Used to be the heavy mag stuff, now I believe they are achieving the same with superformance. But you said you do not have as much energy as a 30-30, that doesn't make sense. Elk have been killed with the 30-30 for years until someone came along and told the hunters doing it that it wouldn't work anymore and they needed a 30-06 then 300 win mag then RUMs. No not at long range, but at 100+, and that bullet is only carrying about 800 ft/lbs at 100 yards. You got that at 1000. But true, not the velocity for expansion. Either way there are better bullets out there that will hold out that far.
Oh I hear you, lots have animals have fallen to lighter calibers. As I have said before, Jerimiah Johnson was not worried about accubonds and sectional density when he shot that bull. I enjoy shooting my sendero at long range, but not shooting at a bull beyond 650 is just a choice I make because I do not feel comfortable with it. An elk is huge target, and an 18 inch vital area is pretty big for that range too but that is far enough for me

Oh I hear you, lots have animals have fallen to lighter calibers. As I have said before, Jerimiah Johnson was not worried about accubonds and sectional density when he shot that bull. I enjoy shooting my sendero at long range, but not shooting at a bull beyond 650 is just a choice I make because I do not feel comfortable with it. An elk is huge target, and an 18 inch vital area is pretty big for that range too but that is far enough for me
Refreshing to hear someone not bashing those who do things they refuse to do. For the record I wouldnt shoot an elk past 650 with a 300 either. Of course since I got a 338-408 I consider my edge marginally adequate.

cfvickers,

Your dope for 900 is inconstant with anything I can find. My 300 throws a 180 gr accubond out the muzzle at 3050. My elevation I practice at is 5600 and I am in a very dry climate. I am not seeing the same energy levels you are. But I have seen some information does conflict. Hornady makes good ammo, but neither of my 700s like the SST. That is a hot round but it just does not group well. Both my rifles group better at lower velocities, mostly right at 2900 or so with a 180

cfvickers,

Your dope for 900 is inconstant with anything I can find. My 300 throws a 180 gr accubond out the muzzle at 3050. My elevation I practice at is 5600 and I am in a very dry climate. I am not seeing the same energy levels you are. But I have seen some information does conflict. Hornady makes good ammo, but neither of my 700s like the SST. That is a hot round but it just does not group well. Both my rifles group better at lower velocities, mostly right at 2900 or so with a 180

@3050 energy should be @ 1200 at 900.

Refreshing to hear someone not bashing those who do things they refuse to do. For the record I wouldnt shoot an elk past 650 with a 300 either. Of course since I got a 338-408 I consider my edge marginally adequate.

I went back a few times on the entire thread, unless I am blind I didn't really see any bashing. lightbulb

I went back a few times on the entire thread, unless I am blind I didn't really see any bashing. lightbulb

Thats what I said. The net in general is so conducive to people who dont do something labeling those who do as immoral idjits. Garcia was very cordial in making his point which I find very refreshing in these days. This is probably the most cordial website out there. Kinda hyard to bitch about LR when your a MEMBER of an LR site lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.