Best way to pull bullets without damaging them?

Bigeclipse

I loaded up quite a few 28nosler rounds and need to pull all the bullets. I have the hammer Style bullet puller but I would like to try and save the bullets (if possible) or are they already toast from simply being seated?

774560F7-34D7-4516-ADBF-9C48BB13F556.jpeg

Rcbs collet, the wack a mole are ok for one or two or deep in round bullets like in pistol rounds. I have used the old type wire strippers in a pinch to.

I have an RCBS hammer style bullet puller. It has a rubber piece in bottom that bullet hits. Used this a few times. The bullets look good, no damage, some lite scratches on them.
Ditto I use ear plug for a soft landing, quick and fast no damage to bullets. Will always be some seating scratches, but haven't found them to effect accuracy. Lot of ways to accomplish as seen in responses.

Tried most of them on the market - grip n pull, inertia hammer, etc. I ended up with the RCBS collet style pictured above. It does not leave any marks - in some minor cases you may see a faint mark if the Bullet was stubborn to pull - however I have not seen any problems with accuracy.

The 2nd best for me was grip n pull. Those work well if your in a hurry.

I've had a grip n pull for years I don't understand how it may or may not work or what it depends on

You can use the RCBS type collet die without doing any "damage" to the bullet if you don't really crank down on it. The hammer type also works for most rounds. It takes a lot of whacking to get light bullets out in rounds like 223 though. I have pulled and reused many bullets with both and I can see no real difference between them and a new bullet.

Bill, you are correct, and I made my own. In some loads, the grip on the bullet is tremendous. The further you are out on the handle away from center, the less grip you get on your bullet.

Hornady Cam Loc trumps the RCBS in spades. Lap the surface of your collets with a bullet in a drill, and fine valve grinding compound.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts