Best way to pull bullets without damaging them?

+ 1 for the collet type. Only time I damage the bullet is when they are stuck, which isn't common. There are suggestion above for unsticking. I think my most common cause of sticking has been in my early days when I didn't always run an expanded through new brass and the neck tension was too high.

If you want to reuse the bullets, you want as much contact surface on the bullet. Concentric forces are also better. I use the Hornady collet and it works for most cases. Small bullets like 204 or light 22s get damaged and I have to toss them. They just don't have enough surface area sticking above the case to get a good enough grip.

I don't know what the case diameter is on the 28 Nosler but when I started to pull some mis-loaded 338 bullets, using the old hammer style puller was not as easy as using it on pistol bullets. I had purchased an RCBS collet puller years ago but only had the collet for 22 caliber. Bought the collets for all the calibers I load for and have never looked back. Bullets come out of the case easily with little to no visible damage. I have seen any loss in accuracy but I don't shoot at the three mile range either.

I tried the inertial puller and I must be too lazy to have liked it.

I have a hammer, put a piece of cotton ball in the end so the tips of the bullets don't get messed up. Works.

Edit to add - might have to try the Hornady collet puller....

I've used the hammer and RCBS collet. Both work well. If I'm only pulling one or two bullets I go with the hammer. If I'm pulling 20+ bullets, I'm setting up the Collet. I've had the same experience as JRock on collet on small diameter bullets that have minimal bullet sticking out of the case. There just isn't much to grip, so they aren't as easy to pull with the collet.
I have not seen any significant loss in accuracy from bullets, brass, powder and primers reloaded from pulled cartridges. I'm still cautious and use those cartridges as practice loads instead of primary hunting loads. Just shot 3 cartridges last week that were pulled and put back together and they still shot 1/2 MOA.

Hornady's Cam Lok bullet puller is the best. Grip and pull types may or may not work, depends.
I've used the Hornady can lock puller for awhile now. Just had to pull 40 bullets. It doesn't put any marks on the bullet. I have used the RCBS puller for many years before that. The collets always left marks on the bullets .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts