Best Way to Trim

R.Ph. 380

I'm using the Hornady case trimmer with a power adapter so I can use my drill for power.What is the best way to measure the proper length so I am not trying and adjusting interminably?

Calipers?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your question here.

Yes, there will be some back-n-forth measure-trim-measure-trim-some-more-measure-dammit-cut-too-much-grab-another-measure-trim-measure... :rolleyes:

Once you get is set, if the trimmer is worth what it costs as scrap metal, it should be set until you're done trimming - barring anything coming loose, etc.

Calipers?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your question here.

Yes, there will be some back-n-forth measure-trim-measure-trim-some-more-measure-dammit-cut-too-much-grab-another-measure-trim-measure... :rolleyes:

Once you get is set, if the trimmer is worth what it costs as scrap metal, it should be set until you're done trimming - barring anything coming loose, etc.
Ok, thought that was correct. Just not another way to measure once, cut once. Just get tired of that ooops, grab another one.:D

Bill

Trim die and a file for me. I've also used a Lee case trim tool. I like those pretty well.

Last edited:
Trim die and a file for me. I've also used a Lee case trim tool. I like those pretty well.

One thing I like about the Lee trimmers, They might be a couple .01 short, but they all come out the same, and there is no adjustment, to come loose.

Does Lee have custom trim pilots?

Does Lee have custom trim pilots?
I found this in their catalog.

Case Length Gauges

Custom case length gauges can be made for cartridges that fit an existing shell holder. A list of calibers and their corresponding shell holders can be found in our catalog (page 15) or on the FAQ portion of our website under "Case Preparation" and then "Shell holders and calibers." While there is really no maximum caliber, the smallest we can make is .22.

We need:

Payment of $20.00 ($15.00 + $5.00 processing fee)
Desired trim length
Bullet diameter or a couple sized sample cases
Shellholder number

I have a RCBS AND A Redding micro, which you set and go back to #'s. On my RCBS, once I set it correct by case trim length, I would save a case and use it as a gauge later to set up, throw them in a old bullet box, saves set up time.

I used a Hornady case trimmer for a while and then moved up to the Wilson case trimmer with the Sinclair stand and it is the best case trimmer I have ever used. I will never use another trimmer.

I use the sinclair ultimate trimmer.Which is a wilson trimmer that sinclair installs a micrometer for length adjustment and secures it to a metal stand to elevate it and secure it to a table if you pefer. Its a little pricy but its night and day difference between the lyman universal that I had before. I really like it. Very well made also.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.