jlvandersnick

I want to build a hunting rifle and shoot 115 VLD's
Thinking about Proof Research carbon
sendero light
24 inch with break
7 twist

the other option is 7.85 and they do make a 26 inch

any thoughts on barrel length and twist

I shoot 3 different 6mm Competition Match barrels, 2 are Krieger's and they are 1-7.5 and the third is a Lawton that is 1-7.65 twist. I shoot the 115 DTAC in all 3, they shoot great. I have some vld's but have not shot them yet, but sure they will shoot well. I have been told by Joe Hendricks that the 7.85 is the minimal you would want to use with a 115 grain 6mm bullet, he has shot them both. Robert Whitley the fellow that developed the 6SLR stated the same thing.

I shoot 3 different 6mm Competition Match barrels, 2 are Krieger's and they are 1-7.5 and the third is a Lawton that is 1-7.65 twist. I shoot the 115 DTAC in all 3, they shoot great. I have some vld's but have not shot them yet, but sure they will shoot well. I have been told by Joe Hendricks that the 7.85 is the minimal you would want to use with a 115 grain 6mm bullet, he has shot them both. Robert Whitley the fellow that developed the 6SLR stated the same thing.

what velocities are you shooting?

My first 6mm Competition Match chronographed when nearly new was 3153 fps when I settled on my load. 27" barrel .237 bore, H1000 powder. The speed has dropped drastically in this barrel, between a slower lot of H1000 and a round count of 4205. I chronoed it recent and it has dropped 200 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.