Best Scope For the Best Price

mnasif19

I've just recently started long range shooting and I am trying to get the necessary equipment. I was wondering what scope I should put on my R700 .270 that will help with 700+ yard shots for the best price. As a college student I'm on a budget. Also any advice will much appreciated on practicing and what not. I'm still learning about MOAs and ballistic calculators and all that stuff but have a basic idea. Any advice will help. Thanks and happy shooting.

I've just recently started long range shooting and I am trying to get the necessary equipment. I was wondering what scope I should put on my R700 .270 that will help with 700+ yard shots for the best price. As a college student I'm on a budget. Also any advice will much appreciated on practicing and what not. I'm still learning about MOAs and ballistic calculators and all that stuff but have a basic idea. Any advice will help. Thanks and happy shooting.
A used Leupold VX-III or Mark 4 in the 6-20x50mm or 4.5-14x50 wold be the best you can get for the money. They can usually be had in the 700-800.00 range and Leupold's lifetime warranty applies no matter how often the scope changes hands.

Inside of 700yds the VXIII 3.5-10x50 would be my choice (again used) and they can be had for under 600.00.

Other than them the Zeiss Conquests would be my next choice again, in the same power and objective ranges.

I was looking at a Vortex Viper PST at a gun show the other day, looks really good and has a sweet reticle. $699.

I have a Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44 UCC with fine crosshairs, I think it's a great scope for out to 1000 yards, they don't make the model anymore but if you can find one they should be in the $300 range.

What features are you looking for in a scope? It will be much easier to give you some good options if we know exactly what you are looking for.

Are you looking for a BDC or graduated reticle?
Are you going to dial the turrets for various shots?
Power range? Objective size?
MOA or MIL?
Are special features like zero stops, etc important?

Some things to think about.

It doesn't take much power to be very successful at the distance you mentioned. So don't feel like you have to go with a high mag scope.

If you are thinking about using the reticle I would suggest that you at least look at FFP scopes. They keep the subtensions the same throughout the power range which eliminates a lot of error.

Scot E.

In addition to what Scot says, answering the question is meaningless without knowing your budget. There are "best" scopes at the $200 price point, and "best" scopes at the $2000 price point. I suspect you'd prefer the former to the latter. :D

I'd suggest searching here as well as in the Optics section of the forum:
Long Range Scopes and Other Optics - LongRangeHunting Online Magazine

Asking "What scope should I get" is a twice a week question so there is plenty of info for you to read.

I think Doc Vette nailed it, your budget is usually the biggest factor. Don't feel bad about it and be honest. We all can't afford high dollar scopes on all our set ups. I have one scope I consider high dollar, but it can get double duty as a scope I can take to combat. If it was just for hunting I would have went with a Sightron or the likes. I also have a Nitrex TR2 that cost under $200 that I am very impressed with. I also just ordered a mil/mil 6x super sniper, it meets my needs for the rifle it's going on and is within my budget.
Don't get too wrapped up in all the gadgets like a zero stop. Keep it simple, and simple is usually cheaper...and easier to learn.

Vortex PST. Most options for your money. Zero stop, 15MOA per revolution (i think), illuminated reticule, MOA/MOA reticule-turrets, good glass, enough adjustment for 1k without a canted base, top notch warranty.
I think that the mark 4's are better, but if your buying new they're alot more money.

vortex pst or votex viper hs lr are the best bange for the buck out. I have a lot of different scopes and now I'm going to vortex( plus they have one of the best warrantys now). The viper hs lr in a 4-16x44 has 1/2 moa turret on top and 24 moa per rotation at $530 or less

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts