Best Twist For 300 Rum?

JOSE A. MARINE

I own a pre 64 model 70 that I want to get customized, its already in 300 H&H mag, but I found a shilen match select barrel in my basement, but has a 1:12" twist. would it be O.K. in a 300 rem ultra mag? even if I stay away from the heavy bullets?

how about max bullet weight?, what would it be, a 150, 165, 180 grainers?

barrel is in contour 7... for long range shooting...
please help, as the twist thing is spooky for me...

thanks
JOE

I had SG&Y build a 300 Jarret for me several years ago, I wanted a 10 twist but Speedy talked me into a 12. My bad for listening. When it's in the 90's it'll shoot the 190 SMK's but, when it cools off, during hunting season, the accuracy goes away. I've been able to shoot the 175 SMK's in the 90's and 50's just fine, 1/4 MOA to 330 yards. A friend of mine had Terry Cross build him a 300 RUM with a 10 twist, his rifle shoots everything up to the 210 VLD's like a house a fire. The Jarret and RUM are pretty close ballisticly but, I should have built a 10 twist to shoot the heavier bullets. I would strongly suggest that you choose the 10 also unless you're only shooting the lighter bullets. My 175's are being shot at 3,415 fps, the RUM that my friend has is shooting the 210's at around 3,250 fps. I think that's a much better choice. Just my .02 worth, good luck.

The 1-12 will work fine for bullets up to the 180-190class match bullets , I have a buddy that shoots a 300win mag with a 1-12 and shoots the 180gr ballistic tips for deer and 190 Sierra Match Kings for long range targets out to 1200+ yds.

With the higher speeds from the RUM you might get the 200gr accubond to stabilize out of it.

but if your wanting a real long range wind bucking rig I'd sell your barrel and get a 1-10 or 1-9 and shoot the 240+gr VLD and ULD style bullets

Thanks

for sharing your experiences/wisdom.

I`ve a friend who has a hammerli tanner match rifle in 308 win that has an 1:8.5 twist and shoots everything ok, and its supperb with 168`s at 2500-2600 ft/s.

but I also found that a 308 win likes the 1:12 twist, that why I was confused..

I rather buy another barrel and keep that 1:12 for a 308 win...

thanks
JOE

I use a 12x barrel in my 300 RUM and shoot the Nosler AB 200's just fine. I dont get a high BC with them in that barrel though but the 178 AMAX is off the chart. 155's through any of the 190's will work just fine and a few 200's will work. Some with marginal performance and others with good. Is the 12x best for the 300 RUM? That is a subjective question and answer. Will you be happy with it? Yes IF you stay with 155's to 190's and everything in between and be very selective with the 200's.

for sharing your experiences/wisdom.

I`ve a friend who has a hammerli tanner match rifle in 308 win that has an 1:8.5 twist and shoots everything ok, and its supperb with 168`s at 2500-2600 ft/s.

but I also found that a 308 win likes the 1:12 twist, that why I was confused..

I rather buy another barrel and keep that 1:12 for a 308 win...

thanks
JOE

8.5 is very steep for a 308 even for 240 SMK's. The 11.25 to 12x is about as good as it gets for the 308 unless youre using ultra heavy/long bullets. A barrel that fast with 190's and lighter will destroy the bullet's BC in a hurry.

I would not do a 1:12. IMHO a 300 RUM is wasted with such light bullets. The 208, 210's, etc from a 1:10 will kill the lighter bullets at long range. The only flaw I've seen from my 1:9 so far is Bergers are a no-go. But if/when I ever get some aluminum tipped Wildcats, it'll have a much greater potential than a 1:10. And even a 1:10 lets you use the 240 SMK, which is not the best ballistically but it's the best terminally I've seen so far--a devistating and deep penetrating game bullet. With a 1:11 or 1:12, forget it.

If you want to shoot light bullets with a 1:12 twist, use a WSM. Just my opinion, of course. :D

I found this board when I was looking for info on the big 30's (OK, maybe the mid 30's). I couldn't understand the draw to the 300RUM when it only gave a couple hundred feet over the WM with a 180gr bullet; I could get thet with a longer barrel. I was schooled by the more knowledgable mambers here that the bigger cases shouldn't be compared with the same weight bullet, but with the more efficient bullets weights for their capacity (apples-to-apples). If you want to shoot lighter bullets got with a 300WM or WSM. If you are going to burn the powder, in the big case you should push the bigger, more efficient bullets. Just my thoughts.

I agree with Jon A, With a 12 turn barrel have it made into a WSM and shoot the lighter bullets. It's kind of like vehicles; you don't need a semi to haul your groceries. It will work, but it sure is a waste of fuel (powder). There are better/smaller tools for that job.

On the other hand, you have the barrel and it will cost the same getting it put together; make a lazer out of it and have fun. Won't last as long but it will be a fun ride.

I'm having a 300RUM made right now and it will have a 9 turn barrel. I was looking for a 10 but the smith had a MUCH better 9 twist in the shop for the same cost so I went with that; same cost, , better quality, better turn around time, and it will stabilize the 200-220gr bullets I wanted to shoot.

If you want to make a 300RUM out of it GO FOR IT!!! But it probably won't be the best/most effective use of the barrel.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.