Best Sub-$300 3-9x40?

Thanks yall. Ill look into burris. On a seperate note, does anyone know where i can find an aftermarket stock for a savage model 10? Id like a bell and carlson sporter but can only find them for the 110 long actions? Im wanting a sporter/ monte carlo style. Not anything tacticool.

This. Sub-$300 & a 3-9x40 screams Leupold VX2. Great scope with great optics, the improvement from the VX1 to the 2 is well worth the extra $. If you want a turret later them send it to leupold for a M1.

I wouldn't touch a low end vortex like the diamondback. You won't find a better value than the leupold VX2.

Yes, the VX2 is going to be your best bet!

What about the Zeis Terra? I can get the 3-9x40 just barely under 300 not counting tax. This i am assuming is Zeis' bottom line scopes, so im wondering if i would be getting the same as bottom line vortex?

I recently purchased a Burris E1 3-9x40 and a leupold VX-2 3-9x40 CDS from Cabelas. The Burris was $149 on sale and the Leupold was $249 on sale. After getting them in and taking them out of the box and looking through them, the Burris went back in the box and I sold it localy and ordered another Leupold. The Leupold was so much brighter and clearer. I haven't mounted the scope yet but for $249 with a CDS dial I don't think you can beat it. Cabelas still has the Leupold on sale.​

best bang for the buck scope on the market. Used to be id recommend a vx2 but the vx1 has closed the gap now with click adjustments and upgraded glass. basically the same glass the vari x III used just a few years ago and nobody called them pour back then! Add in the fact that there warrantee is what the others are compared to and its a no brainer in the 200 dollar class. they've improved so much that I don't know if the upgrade to a vx2 at a 100 bucks more is worth it.
Thanks. Im still kind of leaning toward the leupold vx1, but not sold yet. I like the diamondback. Atleast what im hearing anyways. Im gonna try to get my hands on all of them soon and see for sure.

Not sure if the non-CDS VXII has been changed but my ~5yr old version does not have finger dials, it needs a coin or corner of the cap to dial the scope. Keep that in mind for any gun you may want to dial with (IE get the CDS). I enjoy my scopes that have covered dials with resettable zeros more than my VXII (again it may be outdated).

Glass is decent, and I'm sure its improved as well. I like glass in m sightron big sky more but I'm not seeing any deals on them off hand right now (I got mine for <$300 when I stacked a sale and rebate together).

Thanks folks. Im gonna look at both the vx1 and vx2 as soon as i can to decide for sure. From what ive heard the older vx1 were lacking quite a bit, but the newer ones are on par with what the vx2 used to be? And ofcourse the vx2 is better than the vx1.

The only time I have ever had a problem with a Leupold it was a VX1, the VX2 is a solid scope and in the extremely rare event that you do have a problem, Leupold warranty service is great!

In your shoes I would stick with the VX2.

Bob

This. Sub-$300 & a 3-9x40 screams Leupold VX2. Great scope with great optics, the improvement from the VX1 to the 2 is well worth the extra $. If you want a turret later them send it to leupold for a M1.

I wouldn't touch a low end vortex like the diamondback. You won't find a better value than the leupold VX2.

X10+lightbulb

Solid Gold Advice right there. Plus, Leupold has the best warrantee in the business.

NB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.