Best Sub $1K Action With Prefits Readily Available

Area 419 has a few Nucleus actions for $850. I think they are version 1.0 but still good and cheap, with prefits available.

Not a two lug action but still a very good deal.

I got that email too. I already have a Gen 1.0 Nucleus. It's been a great action. I was thinking of something else This time, not that I need another rifle. LOL

Someone ask about Bordin bumps. It's where the bolt body has raised up sections so when the bolt is in battery there is no verticle play in the bolt body. This helps keep both lugs touching when cocked. If you have any slop in the bolt in the rear of the receiver when cocked the seat engagement will lift the rear of the bolt up to the top of receiver. This will put more pressure on the lower lug and lift the top lug off the abutment. When the bolt is lifted and cycling the action the bumps are in the raceway so you have clearence for smooth cycling. Hope this helps.
Shep

No problem. I use Bordin actions whenever I can. They are works of art and precision. I build Bordin bumps into my remingtons bolts when I sleeve them. Learned this from Greg Tannel.
Shep

Why do you sleeve the M700 bolts or is this specifically to add the bumps?

Last edited:
Do not look at a steeper cocking cam as a bad thing. A shallow cam opens nice, but the down side is cock on close or short pin fall. Personally I like a timed action with no cock on close and proper firing pin fall for good ignition. Dont get caught up in how an action feels. Anyone can make one open easy. There is a reason the guys that know better dont do it.

No problem. I use Bordin actions whenever I can. They are works of art and precision. I build Bordin bumps into my remingtons bolts when I sleeve them. Learned this from Greg Tannel.
Shep
I live 40 miles from Greg Tannel. Good guy with lots of skill and knowledge. I've talked to him for 45 min-hour at his shop a few times. From what I understand he makes the rollertip cocking pieces for Curtis.. I assume terminus now also but I may be wrong. He also was and maybe still is , doing all of Bighorn's fp springs and if I'm not mistaken the FP itself also. Floating bolt head also takes care of this issue. No matter how square the action is. The bolt will always tip up when cocked and closed. Only way to fix it is Borden bumps. Or super tight riceway( not good for dirt and grit). Or floating bolt head. I just personally like the floating option. Then my one action can be a 204 or a 6.5saum or anything that'll fit a SA. Shoot my 204 barrel out then if I want a 6.5 creed. Put my new bolt face on and away I go.

Last edited:
I would never say no matter how square the action is. A floating head will always have both lugs touching but if it's not square it will still be crooked. Still needs to have equal lug abutments and a square face to the back of the lugs. But it can have a looser bolt fit.
Shep

I would never say no matter how square the action is. A floating head will always have both lugs touching but if it's not square it will still be crooked. Still needs to have equal lug abutments and a square face to the back of the lugs. But it can have a looser bolt fit.
Shep
Yes if the lug abutments aren't square to the action the bolt head will touch on both sides but be out of parallel with the rest of the action. I should have clarified it a little better

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.