Best Sub $1K Action With Prefits Readily Available

I also can understand the toroidal lugs. But you can put a donut crooked in a bowl and it'll still touch all the way around. Doesn't address the bolt tip up issue... Only addresses full contact issue

Last edited:
Just measured both origins I have and the SR3. Sr3 has about .015 cock on close.. .195 total fall. (Standard cocking piece). Both origins have about .005 cock on close (I have zermatts trigger tech cocking pieces in both of em). And they both have a total of .230 fall. My trued rem has .245 total fall and about .027 cock on close.

The Terminus Zeus bolt lift is comparable to any two lug action on the market.
I wouldn't say that, I have a couple, plus many other customs. Kelbly, impact and lone peak are lighter lift. However the terminus helios and hybrid are def the smoothest bindless bolt throw there are in my safe. And the Helios has a 4.1" throw! Far smoother than the origin. Personally I dislike the origin a fair amount, may just sell the thing.

Does the triggertech cocking piece make a difference? This thing has horrible bolt lift, plus it has a tendency to bind up unless stroked perfectly. If I can remedy that I'll keep it for a 22 creed varmint build.
The cocking piece makes it virtually zero cock on close. Makes it feel totally different. I haven't had any binding issues tho.. I would bet if you called up ray and sent your piece in he might trade you out... he's been really good to me... If not, It's like 15 bucks.. Is your origin a first run 2018 ?

Joel. I see the Zeus is 16tpi now? Used to be 18 right? This is a really good thing from my point of view

The Zeus was always 16 tpi.
Be careful when chasing complete "cock on close" as you risk total firing pin fall. Different triggers engage the sear at different times in the bolt operation.
I've seen guys modify the cocking piece to eliminate the"cocking on close" feel and they essentially created an fire control issue. Reduced pin fall to the point of having light strikes. Action timing should be left to the experts like Alex Wheeler, or leave it in the hands of the action manufacturer.
Just my 2 cents... but what do I know.

Yeah for sure don't want light primer strikes. It's easy enough to have the manufacture send a cocking piece designed for the trigger your running, Rather than modify yourself.

The cocking piece makes it virtually zero cock on close. Makes it feel totally different. I haven't had any binding issues tho.. I would bet if you called up ray and sent your piece in he might trade you out... he's been really good to me... If not, It's like 15 bucks.. Is your origin a first run 2018 ?
I'll have to get ahold of them on that then. I'm not too sure actually. I believe I got it from Bugholes around Jan 2019.

Joel is right, ignition is critical to accuracy. The smoothness of a timed action takes a back seat to accuracy. You can get both if you do it right, but if your not willing to do it right, just deal with the cock on close and keep the firing pin fall where it needs to be. The general rule of thumb is .240" minimum so long as the rest of the design is up to par, as in a full weight spring and guided firing pin. If your dealing with a factory action that has drag or a weak spring, you may need more. This is one of those no free lunch things. To have an ignition that gives your full accuracy potential you need enough fall and spring. It is going to open a little stiffer than something with a weak spring or a shallow cocking cam. Anyone can design an action that feels good to run and goes bang. But theres a reason all the top BR actions have similar ignition specs, because they have to be competitive in the only game that measures group size and have learned the right recipe.

My rem 700 had some issues with ingition. Turned out the cocking piece was dragging on the sear.. I took the spring off the FP and set the gun muzzle down on the carpet and pulled the trigger and the FP didn't move. I had to shove it forwards with a punch and it dragged the whole way. Did some research found it was common with Timneys. Put in a trigger tech and performed the same test and it dropped with zero resistance. Haven't had an issue with it since. I Had several unexplained flyers with the Timney and I bet that was the issue. ..

I also can understand the toroidal lugs. But you can put a donut crooked in a bowl and it'll still touch all the way around. Doesn't address the bolt tip up issue... Only addresses full contact issue
Once ignition take place I'd think the bolt face would get flat/even/perpendicular to the action in a millisecond. Same with a two lug system.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.