Best Sub $1K Action With Prefits Readily Available

I was recently in your boat, and I'm guessing the "trued R700 vs custom action" thread you referenced was my thread ... received a lot of great feedback on that thread! For me it came down to the Defiance Tenacity and the Gunwerks GRB action. The Tenacity likely would have won out if I stuck to those two options due to the shouldered prefits available, but ultimately I went with the Terminus Zeus. Yes it's considerably more expensive, but I love the fact that I can loosen two set screws and swap a barrel in a matter of minutes right there on the shooting line and be shooting again.
You're correct!
I have a Nucleus three lug already. I have been looking at the Zeus and Vector as well, but have never cycled one. I'd like to know what the lift/cocking is like. I tried a TL3 and was impressed how little effort it took to lift the bolt. Definitely less then I'm used to with the three 3-lug guns I own/owned (Venture, RPR, Nucleus). I may increase my budget to get one of these?

I've messed with a vector. It's heavier than a TL3 to me for sure. Maybe the same or little heavier than the origin... been a while since I shot the vector though.. but the roller tip cocking piece does help and it's smooth.

I've been following the recent thread about trueing a R700 vs custom actions. It just doesn't add up in my mind to go that route when there are all these readily available custom actions.

I'm thinking of putting together another fun gun and I'm thinking of trying a two lug (already have a three lug I love) R700 form factor action. That gives me many options for triggers and stocks. Still haven't decided on cartridge, so if SA and LA are available that's good.

It must take prefit barrels as I don't want to rely on a gunsmith since I live out in the middle of nowhere and already have the tools to do it myself. I'm not partial to Remage or Savage thread pattern, either is fine with me. Barrel nut is fine, shouldered barrel is a bonus. Reasonably priced prefits that I know of are Criterion, Shilen, Proof SS. I'm sure there are others. I'm not a Impact $750 barrel kind of guy with this build.

With that said, what action would you guys recommend?
I've built custom rifles on several (5 different custom actions) and the absolute best is by Jim Borden. Check out his line, you won't be disappointed Kirk

Really won't go wrong with any of them. Pick the one that has the features you like best. Really happy with the cheaper gunwerks action. Bolt fit is really nice and it's straight. The lug has intregal locks built in and the fire control parts are a simple twist with your fingers to get apart. It has dual cocking ramps also. Comes with pinned picitany rail too. Coned bolt nose. I wish I had bought more on the introduction price.
Shep
I got six of them on the intro price, sold 3 to my buddy. They are great actions and also has Borden Bumps on the bolt body. Comes with keyed recoil lug also. The only thing I would like to see is them go to a .062 firing pin, I have a couple buddies that built 6BRX's and 6Dashers on them and had to have the bolts bushed. But they are shooters, we used some in mid and long rang (1000 yard) F-Class rifles and they will shoot.

Last edited:
I see on the website it says that the Gunwerks uses unique barrel tenons. Does that mean no prefits? I definitely want prefits available.
The tolerances are tight and it comes with a card with the tenon specs, with those specs any smith could build you a barrel without the action and it will be clocked and headspaced correctly. Gun works also will turn you up a barrel and send it to you.

I've built custom rifles on several (5 different custom actions) and the absolute best is by Jim Borden. Check out his line, you won't be disappointed Kirk
I love my Bordens and they would be my first choice. I got such a great deal on the Gunwerks GBR's I couldn't pass them up. And the GBR's are nice actions and have some nice features.

The tolerances are tight and it comes with a card with the tenon specs, with those specs any smith could build you a barrel without the action and it will be clocked and headspaced correctly. Gun works also will turn you up a barrel and send it to you.
Gunwerks no longer offers the option to add a barrel to their GRB actions. I always heard they would do it for something like $500 - $600 but I called them back in January and asked about it and they told me they no longer do that. I would have bought a barreled action off them while on that call if they would have said yes. Perhaps once they get moved into their new facility they'll have more capacity to offer this again.

I really don't want to have to buy a barrel and send it to a smith to be finished. I don't think a Criterion, Shilen, Proof or any other decent prefits will hold me back for my usage and abilities. If I was competing in BR I would likely have a different outlook on this. I'm a steel banger and hunter when I can. I haven't ruled any of them out completely, but I'm still much more inclined to go with a nice action that has prefits available.

BTW, what are Borden bumps?

For those familiar with the Bighorn Orgin and TL3: what makes the cocking effort so much lighter on the TL3 than the Orgin. As I've looked into the two of them I see a recurring theme, the TL3S bolt lift is much easier. I would think that the design would be very similar As well as firing spring poundage?

Origin on left. Tl3 on right Bolt .100 longer on TL3. Shallower cocking ramp Shallower primary extraction ramp. being completely honest. I won't buy anymore tl3/sr3. The difference for me is just not that big of deal. The price difference is a few things.. stainless steel is more than chromolly.. the tl3/sr3 is integral lug so the starting piece that they machine is bigger. More money. Tl3 there is basically over 200 ways you can configure it so that adds cost too. they say in a vid on YouTube I believe he says like 240 combinations or something. I can't remember Exactly. So that adds to the price. Origin there is 4 configs. LA and SA. Left and right. I would guess the cocking effort may be on purpose so your not getting the same action for 500 less with the origin.. then there would be less reasons to buy the flagship model. ALL zermatt actions are held to extreme tight tolerances .. I wanna say a video I saw on FB a long time ago they said .0005" I'll have to look and edit if I'm mistaken. Edit (they try for .0001). .. origin is the same. There is no cutting of costs besides the material and the smaller piece because lug is separate.. there is a very slight tolerance stack because of the pinned lug. They have to control 2 dimensions .. the action face. And the lug. Vs the TL3 there is 1 dimension. But the origin is still so good anybody with skill and a print can make a barrel headspace And time without the action being seen. They call it a budget action because it's less money. Not because it's less of an action. Everything they do is for a reason and they seem to really test products before releasing them. And they have the best CS I've ever dealt with .. ray answers the phone and he goes out of his way for the customer to make sure they are happy..

Attachments

• 542D4F1F-A624-4900-A534-29A61939D58D.jpeg
    542D4F1F-A624-4900-A534-29A61939D58D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • F161E817-FAEC-40B6-856E-E12087CBAA87.jpeg
    F161E817-FAEC-40B6-856E-E12087CBAA87.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • A6A99A4A-E3BF-4090-BB03-BF9EA345595A.jpeg
    A6A99A4A-E3BF-4090-BB03-BF9EA345595A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
  • 18920768-507E-413D-9E39-F987A6A6F4A7.jpeg
    18920768-507E-413D-9E39-F987A6A6F4A7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • 6D365E58-7F78-4C2F-85C0-904CE90A36A9.jpeg
    6D365E58-7F78-4C2F-85C0-904CE90A36A9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
So you think the increased effort is so to a taller primary extraction ramp? Interesting that they wouldn't make the primary extraction the same on both actions. Are the bolt and/or firing pin assemblies interchangeable? I'm wondering if both have the same strength firing pin spring?

I like that the TL3 is offered fully DLC coated.

Area 419 has a few Nucleus actions for $850. I think they are version 1.0 but still good and cheap, with prefits available.

Not a two lug action but still a very good deal.

So you think the increased effort is so to a taller primary extraction ramp? Interesting that they wouldn't make the primary extraction the same on both actions. Are the bolt and/or firing pin assemblies interchangeable? I'm wondering if both have the same strength firing pin spring?

I like that the TL3 is offered fully DLC coated.
They aren't interchangeable. Different lengths. Not sure on spring #. Yes I do believe the steeper ramp is why..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.