Best Standard long range cartridge

Thanks jbosco, figured someone would say it:D the cost of shooting doesn't matter too much because I always find the budget for components and range passes. I think after pouring over tables and this and that-that I will probably go 280AI. I figure that my 25-06 will turn into a 6.5-06 when then barrel goes, or when I want to change it. that way I'll have a nice hot 6.5 and a decent 7mm and not have to shoot more than one magnum. As for elk some day, I have a great shooting 338WM Tikka that fits the hammer role shooting 250's over a full case of 7828ssc.

Find a accurate load with that old 3006 with a 185 berger,208 Amax or 215 berger and shoot it to 1000 and see if it will consistently keep 1/2 -3/4 moa and have fun.

OK, I've acquired a nice savage 110 action and I'm ready to build. I originally wanted to build a 7mm Rem Mag, but after long fruitless searches it seems that a savage long action magnum bolt head is the holy grail. I really want to get this gun up and running and have a good 1000yd gun to shoot and learn on. I have a very accurate Tikka 25-06 but it just doesn't do the best when you really get out there. The savage is a 30-06 so it has a standard bolt head right now. What can I build that will be an effective 1000yd rifle with available components and kill a Midwest whitetail out to 1000???? I'm thinking 6.5 something or 280, but lets hear some opinions.
here you go.

https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1291

for those following, its going to be a savage 110 LA with a 28" Criterion prefit in 284 WIN from northland shooters 1-9 twist. I'm hoping to track down some Amax's or berger 180's and make this into a long range deer getter. the LA and match 284 chamber will allow me to seat those puppies way out and still use the mag. if anyone has any good 284 data, I'm all ears.

for those following, its going to be a savage 110 LA with a 28" Criterion prefit in 284 WIN from northland shooters 1-9 twist. I'm hoping to track down some Amax's or berger 180's and make this into a long range deer getter. the LA and match 284 chamber will allow me to seat those puppies way out and still use the mag. if anyone has any good 284 data, I'm all ears.
At the velocities the .284 Win runs if you intend on shooting the heavies you might seriously want to consider an 8 or 8.5 twist. The lower the velocity the tighter the twist needs to be to achieve the same stability you would get with higher velocities.

thanks greyfox, that's on the short list as well. its really down to the 280AI or 6.5-284. anyone have experience running the 6.5-284 through a savage long action? I figure the body is essentially the same diameter as my base 30-06, so it should feed ok. But is the length too short? or will that allow me to really seat out those heavies?

I have both of these in 111 actions, centerfeed mags. If you run the bolt too slow, the 6.5/284 will occasionally porpoise out of line, but as long as you close it like you mean it, it feeds fine. I run the 6.5 140VLD at 2875 with H4831sc for best accuracy, but did see 3050fps during load development. The 280AI is running right at 3000 with 168VLDs using Retumbo. Both rifles have 26 inch barrels. When the 6.5 is shot out, it will probably become another 280, I expect the barrels to last longer with the 7mm bore and may as well have the increased energy downrange from the heavier bullet.

Nothing wrong with the plain old 30-06. With today's bullet and powder choices, it can take deer cleanly beyond a grand. Using modern components, the 06 will outperform the 280rem and makes a fantastic elk cartridge. No need to buy another gun for elk, the 06 is plenty. 30 cal. 210 grain pills tackle elk with ease. Even big mature bulls. Since you're in Alaska (welcome my neighbor) you'll likely be hunting moose. 06 is plenty for moose as well. 200 accubonds are he!! On big bulls at long range. So is the 180 TSX/TTSX or 200 partition at close range.

I'd say if you did most of your hunting in the lower 48 for deer, lope and elk, I'd vote 280 or 280AI or better yet, the 284 win. The 284 win will outperform the 6.5 version in every category except recoil and including barrel life as well has handles mature elk with a bit more authority. With the 49th state in the mix I'd say 06. That said, I do almost all of my hunting in AK with a 308win. Since you're using a LA, you may as well take advantage of it.

I thought about the '06, but it just wasn't doing for me. I've got a 338WM for moose and bear and it works very well. I also have a 375 ruger for the big stuff, so no need for another boomer per se. I am most of the way into a 284 now. all I need is a scope and a stock, but Christmas will keep the gun at bay for awhile now.

I thought about the '06, but it just wasn't doing for me. I've got a 338WM for moose and bear and it works very well. I also have a 375 ruger for the big stuff, so no need for another boomer per se. I am most of the way into a 284 now. all I need is a scope and a stock, but Christmas will keep the gun at bay for awhile now.

Sounds good. I also have a 284 project going on right now. All I need is the get my blank chambered and fitted.

Best,

M

It's been a while since I've seen 180vlds locally but the wasilla and anchorage sportsman's has 500 count boxes of 168vlds. At least that would get you started. Anchorage had a bunch of 162 amaxs but I haven't seen any in a while.

As far as data, the most popular powder for the 180s in a 284 is H4831/H4831SC.

I've got 168 SMK's, 162 AMAX and 180 VLD's to try out. I've been piecing this together for a little while so anytime I see good bullets I buy them. I wish I could find the H4831sc but nothing yet. I have RL17 and IMR4350 to play around with. I have a 28" barrel so I may try 7828ssc too if the others don't turn out. I have been hearing great things about the RL17 in these short fat cases though. Where in AK are you? South Central at all?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.