Best scope in for budget of $300

cody0707

I have searched this forum for the past several days. It seems the best scope bellow $300 is the Leupold VX-2. I have found the 3-9x40 with CDS for $270. I am just confirming this would be the best scope for my attended use.

I plan to use this scope primarily for hunting mounted to a .243. Outside of hunting, I have a gas pipeline I can take extremely long shots on but will more than likely never stretch it past 800 yards.

Is the Leupold VX-2 the best scope for my budget and use or is there something better that should be considered?

When Midway puts it on sale, I like the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40.
It can be had for 300$ when on sale. I have one, and it's clear and tracks spot on....
It's always between that scope and a 10x Super Sniper. I always pick the variable Weaver for hunting. Both are very well made Japenese scopes likely made in the same factory...

If I were on that tight of a budget I'd do 2 things to stretch my $ the furthest.

1. Wait for a sale
2. Scour the classifieds and find a used scope, post a want ad.

What about a nikon? One of the older buckmasters w/ the side focus? Not the biggest objective in the world but I've had decent luck w/ them so far.

I have a VX-2 3-9X40 and I use it on my 270 win. its been a great scope, very good visibility and clarity for what you pay for. Also tough as nails, we where walking over some very wet rocks last season and I slipped and the rifle landed directly on a rock scraping the eye piece and literally shaving some metal off, scope still held its zero and have never fogged up since. the only change I would make if I had to do it again is get the 4-12 version...

If I were on that tight of a budget I'd do 2 things to stretch my $ the furthest.

1. Wait for a sale
2. Scour the classifieds and find a used scope, post a want ad.

What about a nikon? One of the older buckmasters w/ the side focus? Not the biggest objective in the world but I've had decent luck w/ them so far.

I have no issues with going with a Nikon. I looked at the Prostaff 5 in 3-9 also. That's the point of this thread is to see what would be best for my buck and intended use.

Out to 800yds, I'd def get a scope with a parallax adjustment and a touch more power than 9x. A 4-12x or something close.

The buckmasters do have a small FOV, but at their price point and quality I can see past that and haven't had any problems finding my target. I have no experience with all the new nikon #'s.. prostaff xyz's.

Out to 800yds, I'd def get a scope with a parallax adjustment and a touch more power than 9x. A 4-12x or something close.

The buckmasters do have a small FOV, but at their price point and quality I can see past that and haven't had any problems finding my target. I have no experience with all the new nikon #'s.. prostaff xyz's.

Would the parallax be a problem if I decided to keep shots inside of 600 yards?

I'm by no means an expert but here is my take on things. Parallax is never good at any range, further the shot the more detrimental it is to your accuracy.

If you have a 1moa gun, at 600yds its about a 6" gun (theoretically). If you can induce 1" parallax at 100yds, you can induce 6" at 600yds. So your supposed to be 1moa gun can quickly become a 2moa gun based on equipment alone. Add in external factors such as weather, shooting position, adrenaline etc...now your 1moa gun needs a face lift and you wish you had your $300 back.

I don't think I would trust that Leupold to have good tracking and return to zero.
I would buy a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP before the model you are looking at. Or if you want just a really good hunting scope with accurate/repeatable turrets the Weaver Super Slam 2-10. I have one on a short barreled .338 ultra mag and shoot it out to 800 often.

For that price point, I'd go Swfa 10x super sniper without hesitation. Milquad reticle is very nice.

Yes.

Probably the best bang-for-buck out there in a long range scope. Very repeatable, great reticle, lots of erector travel, and parallax adjustment.

Being a southpaw, I really like the rear-parallax adjustment. Easy to manipulate from a bipod shooting position.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.