Best scope for the money

good luck finding a razor 2 for a grand.

1000 bucks is a weird spot in the price point. If you go down a little or up a little there's a ton of options with good quality. Right at 1000, I've not been happy with a lot of the options available there, very few have tested well.

The above stated, here are some that I've tested extensively and been satisfied with.

Burris XTR II, OUTSTANDING optic for the money. There is no better deal or better fit than this for your stated purposes.
https://www.swfa.com/burris-4-20x50-xtr-ii-34mm-rifle-scope-11.html

SWFA SS, solid, reliable, inexpensive, durable. Best bargain going.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-11.html

Leupold VX3 - Loopy's entry level to their higher end offerings. This is a hell of a good deal.
https://www.swfa.com/leupold-4-5-14x50-vx-3i-lrp-30mm-riflescope-9.html
https://www.swfa.com/leupold-4-5-14x50-vx-3i-lrp-30mm-riflescope-8.html

Sightron SIII FFP, high quality, less expensive 30mm main tube (rings cost 1/3 as much as 34mm rings).
https://www.swfa.com/sightron-6-24x50-siii-30mm-riflescope-17.html

If you're keeping your distances under about 800 yards then the SWFA 3-9x HD gives better turret cap design and better glass. If you can deal with 3-9x instead of the higher mag options (9x is good to longer than most people can shoot well) then you get a big glass upgrade without driving the price up.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

Here's a link to a search that I've pared down to just things that should roughly fit your criteria and in brands/models that I know are routinely doing good stuff.
https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html?brand=Burris,Bushnell,Leupold,Nikon,Sightron,Steiner,SWFA SS,Vortex&brand_model=HD,Monarch 3,SIII First Focal Plane,SS Classic,VX-3i LRP,XTR II Riflescope&focal_plane=1st&price_sale=381.00,1031.00
I will have to agree with the Burris.I have had a lot of scopes's over the year's and the Burris has got my vote

I'd be curious to see if anyone has field experience with the new Tract Toric UHD 30mm. The spec list is certainly impressive with Schott HT glass, pop-up locking turrets, and a pretty good feature set on top of it. Reticles are meh... but everything else seems pretty solid. Bergara was repping them pretty hard at Shot Show and people I talked to who got to look through them said they compared favorably to glass several tiers more expensive.

I'm looking to get a new setup, my first thing looking for is my scope, Whats the best scope you can buy for $1000 , now if i have to wait for a used one to come around i will. i was looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 5x25x50 , i will use it for some hunting and long range shooting, Thanks Guys
I too am in the market for another scope. I was going to just purchase another NIGHTFORCE NXS until I saw the Vortex Viper PST GEN 2- 5 X 25 X 50. It's the NF's NXS Baby Brother! SIDE FOCUS, CRYSTAL CLEAR, MOAR style Reticle, 2 Zero Stops. Tracks, Ranges, Veiws just as GOOD as my NF does for LESS THEN 1/2 the COST! My minds made up; I'm buying the Ortex Viper. I strongly suggest you do the same. You're getting a Helluva scope that's within your BUDGET! THATS A BIG BANG for your BUCK! Theosmithjr

SWfA SS HD 5-20x50. Glass as good as scopes costing $2,000 or more. The non-illuminated version can be had for around $1200.

It depends a little on how much you will be hunting vs long range shooting, and at what ranges doing each. I have a Vortex pst ii 3-15x44 - 30mm tube on a 7mmRM which is great for hunting - compact and light, but still very capable. The smaller objective and tube would limit it in long range target shooting. A Burris XTR II 5-25 is on my semi-auto 308, and it takes a beating. With 34mm tube, this one can and does go longer range, but it's heavier, so less of a hunting scope IMO, though it's been used effectively for that. Just bought an XTR II 4-20x with the Horus reticle for a bolt action 6.5mm CM rifle set up for prs/nrl type shooting - love it! Also have an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 that sits on my semi-auto 223. Hasn't gotten the usage of the others, but nice.

That's a reasonable collection of 1k range scopes. They all perform very well, but of all of these if a few ounces more of weight is not an issue, I prefer the Burris. I do have a couple of scopes that were over 2k, and while awesome scopes, except for special applications, it's usually not worth the extra money.

I would love to try the Tract Toric scope. Those are my go to binos, and the glass and quality of construction are outstanding. I've taken them mountain hunting all over, and had the chance to compare them to alphas multiple times. Just an awesome product and a great value for the money. Scopes are probably equally good.

I'd be curious to see if anyone has field experience with the new Tract Toric UHD 30mm. The spec list is certainly impressive with Schott HT glass, pop-up locking turrets, and a pretty good feature set on top of it. Reticles are meh... but everything else seems pretty solid. Bergara was repping them pretty hard at Shot Show and people I talked to who got to look through them said they compared favorably to glass several tiers more expensive.
I've heard some good things about these scopes. Saw and looked through one at the range not to long ago and was impressed. Very new to the market though would be my only concern.

Leupold vx5hd, zeiss v4, Nightforce SHV, vortex viper pst gen 2. Pick your poison, but do not go full on LRP they suck, and are about $200 more then they are worth.
My Vortex PSTs (3 of them) have all had QC issues. I'm done with them. I agree on LRP. It's an okay scope at less than 500 yds. VX5 HD has been good but obviously not a 1000 yd scope for sure. I tried it at 1000. Mixed results. Out to 750 is was great. Try to find one with a zero stop. Agree on the Burris XTR. For the money, it's been good. Although I don't have it on a magnum caliber.

I am going to be in the market for a scope in that ball park as well for my 7STW. Thinking about the new Meopta Optika6 in 5x30x56 or 4.5x27x50..... price should be in the 700-900 dollar range for what I have seen. I think they will be out in May

Got rid of all my Vortex HST and PST scopes, not going there again .... kept my Sightron Slll and Burris XTRll scopes, adding another XTRll and the new XTRlll when it is available,

for plus or minus $100 around a grand you will be hard pressed to get a better scope than the Burris XTRll
I've got the Vortex Viper Pst genII on my 6.5 Creedmore and has performed flawlessly out to a mile. Can't go wrong with that combo. I haven't tried it on .338 yet but plan too this spring.

I'm looking to get a new setup, my first thing looking for is my scope, Whats the best scope you can buy for $1000 , now if i have to wait for a used one to come around i will. i was looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 5x25x50 , i will use it for some hunting and long range shooting, Thanks Guys
The Gen 2 is a great scope for the money. Put one on one of my rifles, good clarity, they finally put a actual zero stop on them, the illuminated reticle is a must due to the fine crosshairs, so in low light you wont have any trouble. Recomend putting it on an moa rail, to maximize your vertical adjustments. My opinion hard to find a scope that's better for the money.

In that you assigned a CAP for the $$$ and you indicated that you want to hunt and deal with longer ranges. I will recommend the Burris Veracity. It is a First Focal Plane and has the recitals and the knobs to allow you to do both of these things. You can choose your magnification from 5 X 25, 4 X 20, 3 X 15 or lower. I prefer the 3 X 15 X 50 as it does everything that I want but I do have a 4 X 20 X 50 on my Antelope rifle which is a 25-06 that I shoot out to 500 yards with no issues. I am also going to recommend that you put a level on what ever you choose. I don't believe that you can be accurate enough without it past 200 yards. I found that I can deviate as much as 4 inches at 200 yards without the level. It is cheap, $25 or less, and you will appreciate it.

This would be a useful video. I find his opinions on several $1K scopes to be similar to mine. I own a SHV 5-20, a PST Gen II 5-25 and I like them both. I put my hands on the newer Nikon Black 1000 and was surprised that it was decent looking glass and the turret clicks were good in the well under $1K range.

Its also worth saying that I was at a gun show last month and I looked at the 27X Vortex Razor, and when I tried to pick it up i thought it was glued to the stand it was on...nope, it was just really heavy. Really really heavy. I'm surprised it comes up so often in conversations around hunting rifles, but I guess if you weren't planning on pack hunting then it might be ok. No knock on the scope, I would put it on my 338, the glass was great... Just not a hunting scope IMHO.

I own an older Zeiss HD5 5-25 as well and it is great glass and super light weight (26oz) for the amount of zoom it has. Probably better or at least equal clarity to my PST Gen II or the SHV. It tracks spot on and you could pick one up used for well under $700. The newer versions of this scope are probably a good bet as well. I think the Zeiss scopes are still SFP though. I like simple crosshairs on anything in the SFP. That way I cant make the mistake of measuring something at the wrong zoom setting. I like milling style reticles on my FFP scopes only.

Worth adding on my long range hunting rig I have a March F scope. Yeah its a $2300 scope but I have seen them floating around for $1900. Its the lightest scope I could find with 24X zoom, FFP, and crystal clear glass. If you are building a long range super light mountain package, this is unbeatable.

If you plan to shoot anything 500-800 yards, you could easily do it with a 9X scope, but the issue is without hauling a good 2-3 lb spotting scope with you, you cant identify/qualify the legality of what you are shooting. I like to be able to at least count antler points at 600 or so through my rifle scope so I can leave the spotting scope behind on a long walk. Super clear glass makes it much easier. Blurry glass or low magnification makes it a guessing game often leading to a bad decision. If you plan to have a long range rifle, try to settle on ONE do-all rifle and put great glass on it. You will be glad you did.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.