Best reloading book for beginner?

boattailed bandit

If yall could recommend the best reloading book for a novice loader what would it be? Ive been reloading only one caliber so far using factory data but im looking to expand. I like the lee precision book. Anybody use this? Im hesitant to get a book from a specific bullet company for fear they only publish data for their products and no others.

If yall could recommend the best reloading book for a novice loader what would it be? Ive been reloading only one caliber so far using factory data but im looking to expand. I like the lee precision book. Anybody use this? Im hesitant to get a book from a specific bullet company for fear they only publish data for their products and no others.

That's exactly their reloading manual is geared to do and there's nothing wrong with them.

Check out Lyman and ABCs of reloading.

I have Berger, Nosler, and Hornady manuals. I've reloaded long enough to venture into the wildcat realm, which is a WHOLE different ballgame.

I have used my 3 manuals to load bullets of similar weight from different brands in a particular caliber.

Nosler has always been my go to. The annual Hodgon data magazines are usually interesting as well. Any of them will give you a good baseline to start from.

The Lee manual has quite a few loads and covers a lot of different powders and bullet weights.

I think the Lyman or ABC's of reloading are the best for learning how to reload on your own.

I like the hodgon annual load data magazine along with sierra data they will email you any data that you need concerning their bullets. If you not sure about pressures,seating dept etc. Aron Davidson of gunwerks has some pretty good YouTube videos on reloading for longrange....

For loads, Sierra or Nosler. They give you clues as best shooting loads. For first time reloading, get a mentor. There is so much that is not written that you need to learn correctly. For instance one book I read said adjust your resize die so a nickle will fit between the shell holder and the die. The correct way is to remove the firing pin and resize the brass so you can close the bolt without over sizing. Normally unless its a high pressure load you won't feel the brass for the first several firings. Sizing more than needed will cause MAJOR issues.

For loads, Sierra or Nosler. They give you clues as best shooting loads. For first time reloading, get a mentor. There is so much that is not written that you need to learn correctly. For instance one book I read said adjust your resize die so a nickle will fit between the shell holder and the die. The correct way is to remove the firing pin and resize the brass so you can close the bolt without over sizing. Normally unless its a high pressure load you won't feel the brass for the first several firings. Sizing more than needed will cause MAJOR issues.
. Are you sure that the directions called for a nickel for the sizing die? Most of the time that is used for seating bullets. Depends on the setup it might still crimp with that space in between, but it is where I start with loads when I don't have a shell already loaded to my desired length....

Some may disagree as to the value of these books where a beginner is concerned , but that aside, in my opinion the two books that did more to advance my knowledge
and understanding of handloading were and are " The Precision Shooting Reloading Guide" Edited by Dave Brennan 1995 and "Handloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker 1991.
Read, Re-read, & Read again, comprehend these 2 books & you won't be a beginner any more.

I really like Noslers latest for new powder loads and, for reloading procedure reference the Speer #13.
Have had several manuals but reference the Nosler #7 most often.

Cheers.
gun)

If I had to have just one manual it would be a Sierra. If you work up loads as you should which involves starting at or close to the starting load listed it really does not matter what makers bullet you are using. No two rifles are the same and react to different bullets and powders differently. The Sierra manual has suggested accuracy and hunting loads that you should work up to but it does narrow things down a bit as to which powder to key in on.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.