Best powder for 6.5 creedmoor 130gr berger hotm?

the hunter

I'am just gitting into reloading. I'am going to be loading for my 6.5cm .300wm and .308win, but I'am starting by loading for my best friend, I will be loading him up with 127gr barnes lrx bullets. I will be shooting the 130gr berger in my bergara 6.5cm. I'am not trying to hot rod our rifles but would like good velocity and consistency. What powders have been working for you all, I was thinking rl15,rl16 or varget. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'am just gitting into reloading. I'am going to be loading for my 6.5cm .300wm and .308win, but I'am starting by loading for my best friend, I will be loading him up with 127gr barnes lrx bullets. I will be shooting the 130gr berger in my bergara 6.5cm. I'am not trying to hot rod our rifles but would like good velocity and consistency. What powders have been working for you all, I was thinking rl15,rl16 or vargit. Thanks.

H4350 is the universal answer but I've had great results with Varget pushing 130gr Berger AR Hybrids. 40.1gr gives me 2900fps and < .6 MOA 10 shot groups.

John

H4350 is the universal answer but I've had great results with Varget pushing 130gr Berger AR Hybrids. 40.1gr gives me 2900fps and < .6 MOA 10 shot groups.

John
Thanks for the data, that is what I need most so I do not blow up the rifle. Thanks for replies on what powder to use, eny and all data will be a great help, such as how many grs.= how much velocity and with what powder and so on. Thanks everybody.

Another very accurate powder is H4831ss but velocity was on the slower side if I wasn't shooting 1000+yds regularly it would be my favorite powder for accuracy.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned RE26 which seems to be the wonder powder for reloading just about anything today.
I run 47 gr of RE26 under a Berger 134gr CH bullet. Velocity is 2,860 ft/sec and the accuracy is excellent. There are no pressure signs on the Lapua case or Fed 210M primers. I'm sure I could add a couple of grains for more velocity but why bother.

H4350 is all I use in my Browning X Bolt 6.5 CM. Reloader 17 works pretty good too.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned RE26 which seems to be the wonder powder for reloading just about anything today.
I run 47 gr of RE26 under a Berger 134gr CH bullet. Velocity is 2,860 ft/sec and the accuracy is excellent. There are no pressure signs on the Lapua case or Fed 210M primers. I'm sure I could add a couple of grains for more velocity but why bother.
RL26 gets real quirky above 84°F. Pressures really spike. So if you hunt in wide ranging temps, RL26 is not the best choice.

RL26 gets real quirky above 84°F. Pressures really spike. So if you hunt in wide ranging temps, RL26 is not the best choice.

While I have read that on the boards a few times, I have never noticed that to be the case. I regularly shoot in the heat of the summer and always shoot over a chronograph. I have yet to see a spike in velocity or noticed any increase in pressure. I wonder if that phenomenon is cartridge dependent.

you need to run the heavies for re26. I have used varget and h4350... that being said, my varget load was developed in January and gave me pressure in the summer. I know use h4350 with no pressure, 2.9sd, and 2918fps

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.