Best MOA based Long Range Hunting Scope around $1000??

CarbonLead

I just got a 7mm mag and I am trying to decide what to put on it. It will be used for hunting and some target shooting. I am wanting a 20-25x or so, no smaller than 30mm tube, 50mm obj possibly 44mm, with moa adjustments and an moa based reticle, not real heavy or long under 30oz and 15". I would like to have turret caps because it will be put in a backpack scabbard. I would like to stay around $1000. I have looked at vortex, Leupold, Sightron mainly but I was wanting some input from guys here on the forum. Any info you have reviews, scope suggestions, pros cons, another brand or model I may not have consider etc... thanks!!

As you probably know, Nightforce is the standard for guys on here. And as you also probably know they tend to be a bit bigger and heavier than say a Leupold VX-6. I've got a buddy who switched everything to Nightforce and they do work well but... he is paying around $1,800 each which isn't exactly close to your $1,000 target. So... what to do. I've got two of the brands you mentioned - a Viper PST in 6X24 and a Leupold VX-6 in 3X18. They are both really good scopes but if I was going to stick one on a 7mm RM I'd probably go with the Vortex. It is just a fun scope to use since it is so clear and the reticle is so precise. I imagine you can get a flavor with covered turrets and I understand your reasoning on why you want them covered which I one of the reasons I bought the VX-6. It has the advantage of being very compact with great optics. Also has 20 MOA per rev though some people find the clicks are kind of squishy. Compared to the Vortex where the clicks are amazingly crisp this is true but I have no issue with the VX-6 clicks.

You might want to check out the Nightforce SHV line. Many of those models have capped turrets that are finger adjustable if the need arises.

You might want to check out the Nightforce SHV line. Many of those models have capped turrets that are finger adjustable if the need arises.

Yeah been looking at those the past day or 2. What I have been really looking at lately is the Leupold vx6 3-18x44mm or 50mm maybe the 6-24x52mm. I was hoping to find one at a decent price since the have been discontinued and replaced with the vx6 HD models. I was kinda wondering how well the 18x would be at 1000yds plus.

I got my 3 to 18 VX6 because of the 3 not the 18. I use that scope when I'm in dark timber and might get up close on running game. But I'd rather be using 24X if 1,000 yards is in the plan. I'm not saying you can't shoot good with 18X but more resolution of the target allows you to "aim small and hit small" - assuming you have a steady rest. A case in point - a buddy of mine and I bought identical Savage LRPs in 260 Rem. I had a 6 to 24X scope on mine and he had a Nightforce that went all the way to 42X on his. We used to shoot 600 yards a lot. For some reason I could never beat him even once at that range. We would take turns shooting off the same rest on the same bench. (He had a high dollar rest and rear bag setup that was fun to use.) We'd watch our shots land on a LED monitor hooked by rf video link to a camera I use for such shooting so you could correct for wind with each shot if you wanted since you could easily see right where it went. He died a few years back and one day I was thinking of him and it finally occurred to me - it was the 42X! Or at least I like to think so. Or maybe he was just better than me though I'm not horrible. I was one of the top shooters in my company while in the military (Vietnam era).

Yeah been looking at those the past day or 2. What I have been really looking at lately is the Leupold vx6 3-18x44mm or 50mm maybe the 6-24x52mm. I was hoping to find one at a decent price since the have been discontinued and replaced with the vx6 HD models. I was kinda wondering how well the 18x would be at 1000yds plus.

My first long range scope was an IOR in 3-18x. I was able to connect with a 20" target at 100 yds without too much trouble. I couldn't see my hits but I could tell I hit the steel plate by seeing it swinging.

18x is more than enough for 1000 yard hunting, especially with the glass on those VX-6s. I actually don't like 24x for any distance unless its from a bench rest. Too hard to acquire the target with such a narrow field of view.

1x per hundred yards is all you need for big game hunting. For shooting paper at 200 yards its nice to have at least 16x though. My long range guns mostly wear 4-16s or 3-18s.

I have a couple of the Vortex PSTs and a Leupold VX-6 and I would recommend either one of them. The Vortex is a good bit cheaper than the Leupold, has excellent turrets and reticle, and glass thats pretty decent. The Leupold has glass that is just ridiculous, a pretty good reticle with the TMOA, and the turrets are also pretty good once you replace the knobs with some "TAC dials". Having said all that the Leupy is my favorite hunting scope.

I would probably not get the 4-24x Leupold since it has a 34mm tube. That makes for a bigger scope overall and its more magnification than you need.

Ok cool deal I appreciate the input. Anyone heard of Rudolph Optics and their scopes?

Are you looking to make a purchase soon? Or is this still quite few months off?

Something that fits that bill to the "T" is on the horizon from us...

Are you looking to make a purchase soon? Or is this still quite few months off?

Something that fits that bill to the "T" is on the horizon from us...

Trevor,
Either or I would say. I am in no big rush to put an optic on that project. I still have some work to do with that rifle after I finish with my current project. It is nice to see someone from Tract on the forums here. I was browsing through the Tract website yesterday. What exactly are y'all at Tract coming out with??

Love my 5x20x56 SHV moa illuminated.should be perfect for you .its really nice having a moa reticle and moa turret .i also have mine on a 7mm mag sendero and it makes an excellent package .

Last edited:
Yeah but Burris customer service is horrible.i just got a scope back they have had for over a month and it has the same issue.check out this glue drip on the inside lens .i just got it back Friday and im more than ****ed off about it and there customer service guy is a ***** to say the least .

Attachments

• IMG_3828.PNG
    IMG_3828.PNG
    95.8 KB · Views: 183
Yeah but Burris customer service is horrible.i just got a scope back they have had for over a month and it has the same issue.check out this glue drip on the inside lens .i just got it back Friday and im more than ****ed off about it and there customer service guy is a ***** to say the least .
That's too bad. I've only had to send a Burris scope back once, it fell off the ATV and broke the side focus knob off. They sent me a brand new one in the box, no questions asked.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.