Best Long Range Shooting / Hunting Scope

I am looking to throw some quality glass on a remington sendero SFII .300 win mag. I will be doing a lot of target shooting at first to really hone my skills, then eventually hunting. I was looking at a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25 power scope. I want something that has a decently high power and has turrets for adjustments, but from what I am hearing a lot of people think the Mark 4 is over priced. If there is something out there that is better for less, why not save the money. Any opinions?
Oh p.s. what kind of mounts and scope rings would you recommend?

Lots of good options out there.

I ran a Vortex Razor this weeken at the K&M Precision rifle class. It performed flawlessly. Great glass, positive clicks, tracked well, and easy to get behind. Good FOV. Constant eye relief. No matter what power I was on the eye relief didn't seem to change (unlike the leupold's I've tried). FFP and zero stop are standard. 35mm tube and 10 moa per rev on the mil/mil model. Good bit of internal adjustment.

I also really like the new Nightforce ATACR. Again, a ton of adjustment in this scope. Just got a shipment this week so I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet but I have taken it out to check the glass out. It's awesome. Sfp might be a big deal to some power, but running it on half power you just double your values. No big deal. The new Mil-r reticle is really nice for shooting movers.

The nightforce nxs 5.5-22 has always been a great option as well. Again SFP, but there is a mark for half power so to me no big deal.

But since you are looking to spend less cash....the vortex pst is getting very popular on the line. Matching turret/reticles are standard. Ffp or SFP versions. Zero stop like mechanism is standard. Illuminated reticle is standard. The Sfp version has the factor located on the opposite side of the power ring. Good investment in my opinion.

I've always like the talley picatinny rail along with griffin armament rings.

I use Mk-4 scopes on all of my rifles.....my favorite is the 6.5-20 power, I think you might find 8.5 on the bottom end a little high for a hunting situation.

This said, I don't believe you will find a better combination for the money, the only way to get better performance is to spend more money. I like the TMR reticle and all of my scopes to look the same so I stick with Leupold. They compare very well to the standard NF scopes and I think they are a step above the Vortex......the Leupold Mk-4 is a workhorse!!

I'm sure you will get lots of Vortex recommendations I've looked through a couple but I'll never choose one over a Mk-4. If you want the best scope possible, look into S&B, March the new Nightforce ACTAR, Beast or the Leupold Mk-8, I have a Mk8 on order since last Sept and the wait is killing me..............

I have a sightron iii 8-32x56 with burris Signature rings and a burris rail on my savage .308 and I don't think you can go wrong with that set up!!! All for about a grand!!! Just my opinion!!!

My Super Sniper is as clear as my Mark 4.Has a bigger field of view,10 mil per rev,and much less cost.I bought it used on this site.Happy so far

Vortex razor hd ebr2b retical . tons of features, and adjustment and probably the best warranty on the market. also seems to be fairly priced around $2000 for what you get.

Talley one-piece are excellent rings.. myself, I'd lean toward them before many others out there..

For a scope.. depends just how elaborate you want to get. BUT, since just starting out (trying to hone skills) I'd strongly recommend giving Huskemaw an honest shot. Their reticle makes holdovers for wind very simple to correct with quickly, with no clutter or confusion about what the hashes mean or what their values are.. and the simpler you keep things, especially when trying to learn, the better you'll become --- in a much shorter time

They're absolutely repeatable, clarity is on par with every competition in that price range (even creditble to say it's above-par, compared to MANY) I honestly do feel a Husky would be worth considering*

I have a Swarorski that performs really well. I talked with one of their reps and asked him about Huskmaw scopes and he said they were Very Good clear glass and were better for shooting 1000 yards. I think that says alot! My next longrange scope will be a Huskmaw!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.