Best Lightweight Long Range Hunting Scope

I have been well pleased with my two March F1's. I decided to go with the 52 mm objective for hunting and glad I did. They are both illuminated, but I hardly use that option.

I have ordered a NX8 direct from NF, but they told me build date would be 3-4 months, so no comments for now.

In the meantime, I have a Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 I'm fixing to mount up on a 6.5-284. Just playing around with it, I like everything I see. Time will tell, but reviews have been positive.

Contrary to many, I am a fan of F1 optics for hunting and they seem to be getting better at reasonable prices.

They dont work
IMG_1236.JPG

My two favorites for keeping weight down with my carry/LR rifles. Since this thread was started s few years back I picked up a March, a very nice scope, but with a cost about $1000 more then the Huskemaws. Both the March and the Huskemaw are under 25oz, but are quite sufficient for 1000 yard work. My Cooper with a 5x20x50 Huskemaw and My Savage/Criterion Chassis with my March 2.5x25x52. Both have nice glass, accurate turrets, and have proven to be quite durable.
35815C4D-C546-4F9E-907E-CD9EB30D9ADC.jpeg0C8F0E72-D5A9-4622-AED4-CA42351BDAF6.jpeg

Last edited:
If clarity is paramount: The only two samples of March and Huskemaw I played with showed me there is no comparison in the class. The March is definitely in a class above the Huskemaw. The March was instantly and obviously better than my Bushnell. Within a couple seconds it was obvious the Bushnell was better than the Huskemaw.

If clarity is paramount: The only two samples of March and Huskemaw I played with showed me there is no comparison in the class. The March is definitely in a class above the Huskemaw. The March was instantly and obviously better than my Bushnell. Within a couple seconds it was obvious the Bushnell was better than the Huskemaw.
No question, the March has superior optical quality. Having said that, using both the March and the Huskemaw over several years, more then a few dozen game animals and coyotes taken unde a wide variety of lighting conditions and ranges from 500-+1000 yards, I don't think the optical difference between them influenced my end result other then a couple of last light cases where the shot would have been questionable anyway. While I would prefer the best quality optic for the obvious reasons, there is a point of diminishing returns in actual practice. I place a higher priority on mechanical performance and turret reproducibility which in which both scopes Huskemaw and March have been exceptional in my experience.

Last edited:
My March has performed well on a lighter weight 300 prc. I plan on getting another one for my next hunting rifle.

No question, the March has superior optical quality. Having said that, using both the March and the Huskemaw over several years, more then a few dozen game animals and coyotes taken unde a wide variety of lighting contains and ranges from 500-+1000 yards, I don't think the optical difference between them influenced my end result other then a couple of last light cases where the shot would have been questionable anyway. While I will always choose(and do use) the best quality optic for the obvious reasons, there is a point of diminishing returns in actual practice. I place a higher priority on mechanical performance and turret reproducibility which in which both scopes Huskemaw and March have been exceptional in my experience.
Yep.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.