Best MOA base angle for long range?

Cuda

I have a Savage 12FV 308 that I want to try some long range target shooting with. I have a mil dot 6-24x50SF turret scope what base MOA would be best for 800yds or more? Should I go with the 20MOA or go with a 30MOA base?

I have a Savage 12FV 308 that I want to try some long range target shooting with. I have a mil dot 6-24x50SF turret scope what base MOA would be best for 800yds or more? Should I go with the 20MOA or go with a 30MOA base?

6-24x50SF??? Is SF the brand? How many MOA of verticle adjustment does it have?

"....best for 800 yards or more"?? How much more. Any less? Is 800 as close as you are going to shoot?

If you are STARTING at 800, go with at least a 40MOA.

The SF is Side Focus for yardage I am not sure on the MOAs up it is 8 clicks not a 4 and I miss placed the booklet. I might have to count them I want to try out to 800yds but if I get a chance to try 1000yds. I would like to get there even if I did not get many or any hits I want to be able to get a shot at it anyway. Just to say I tried or I did get a hit at 1000yds even if it was only one hit. Or should I go with a 40MOA to give it a try? I can always change it if I can not make the 1000yds. But still make it to 800yds if I can.

20 moa is what you want. It'll get you to 1000 easily and still allow you to zero at 100 yards if you wish. Talley is the brand I use.

Like others noted, 20 MOA base is what you need. Below is probably one of the best advice you'll ever get from an optics SME ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

Good luck!

FEENIX now that sounds like good sound advice. So I guess I will be getting a 20MOA base and try that. I just did not want to buy 3 or 4 bases to get one to work. I do have a 30-06 I know would get me there. But I would need a better scope than what is on it 3-9x50 I do not think will do it. But I could use the 20MOA base and the 6-24x50SF on the 30-06 and make it. I still have a lot to learn about long range shooting. The longest I have ever shot was 500yds back early 70s. THANKS for all of the replies!

I would also use a set of burris z rings with inserts, that will give you a little more moa if you need it. I have found out you will want to shoot at 800 then its 1200 then its a mile, the long range shooting drug is very strong and hard to kick the habit. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.