Best Long Range Scope Available NOW for <$5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blbrand

I am looking to buy the best scope I can find for long range (1000yd+) shooting and hunting. I am willing to part with some cash - up to $5000.

The scope is going on a Rem 700 5r in 300 WM. I expect to customize that rifle with the goal of reaching .5 MOA.

Scope requirements:

- Variable power required for hunting in timber. FOV at low power is important.
- Max power required for long range shooting and hunting (goal is 1200 yds)
- Tactical turrets
- Illuminated reticle
- FFP reticle, unless I can be convinced it's not required.
- Don't want to wait past June 2014 so that I will adequate time to train before hunting season
- buy once, cry once. I want this scope to last a long, long time

Generally, with these requirements, I felt I could get into a 5-25x56 or thereabouts with high quality glass, tracking, etc. I was heading towards buying a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56, but have nixed that from the list due to the tunneling issue.

So, if you had $5k to spend on a scope, what would you do? Is there an awesome product that fits the bill? Would you compromise on one of my "requirements"? Spend more than $5k?

I would appreciate any advice / recommendations.

Thanks!
Bill

I don't think Tangent Theta is available yet so if it were me a Premier or a BEAST. I thought the tunneling issue was with the 5-20PMII not the 25x? I have no Tunneling issues in my PMII.

I am totally tunnel visioned on scopes. I own Schmidt and Bender for most of my applications. I do own a few Burris and really like the quality in both scopes. I know Burris is not the BIG name on this forum and that really isn't fair for those that do not have a budget for the Schmidt and Bender.
I just today made a deal with another Long Range hunting Member for a combination of a Weaver Tactical and a Vortex. Hopefully this will expand my horizons of of the old stand by Schmidt and Bender. I Do not think you can beat a Schmidt for any amount of money but I would also look at a new comer, March , sold by Kelbys. I might try one myself if others will chine in with there experiences on the March scopes. Kinda pricey for a unknown name but they have some great features.:)

Way cheaper, but consider the Burris XTR-II.
Not saying this is an equal to a S&B PM-II
Been playing with the 8-40 version (MOA reticle). Really like it!

I am totally tunnel visioned on scopes. I own Schmidt and Bender for most of my applications. I do own a few Burris and really like the quality in both scopes. I know Burris is not the BIG name on this forum and that really isn't fair for those that do not have a budget for the Schmidt and Bender.
I just today made a deal with another Long Range hunting Member for a combination of a Weaver Tactical and a Vortex. Hopefully this will expand my horizons of of the old stand by Schmidt and Bender. I Do not think you can beat a Schmidt for any amount of money but I would also look at a new comer, March , sold by Kelbys. I might try one myself if others will chine in with there experiences on the March scopes. Kinda pricey for a unknown name but they have some great features.:)

Heard great things about March.

I like the nightforce beast. I gave 3300 for mine. 5x22x56 moar. Cant wait to get it own my 375 cheytec!

New March 2.5-25x52. Light enough and has everything you need. I have the 42mm model.

Another vote for the March. Light weight, extreme zoom range (2.5 to 25 power), great glass and repeatable adjustments. I have a 2.5-25x42 (SFP scope) and a 2.5-25x52 that should be here in 3 weeks. March also has a FFP model in 3-24.

I am looking to buy the best scope I can find for long range (1000yd+) shooting and hunting. I am willing to part with some cash - up to $5000.

The scope is going on a Rem 700 5r in 300 WM. I expect to customize that rifle with the goal of reaching .5 MOA.

Scope requirements:

- Variable power required for hunting in timber. FOV at low power is important.
- Max power required for long range shooting and hunting (goal is 1200 yds)
- Tactical turrets
- Illuminated reticle
- FFP reticle, unless I can be convinced it's not required.
- Don't want to wait past June 2014 so that I will adequate time to train before hunting season
- buy once, cry once. I want this scope to last a long, long time

Generally, with these requirements, I felt I could get into a 5-25x56 or thereabouts with high quality glass, tracking, etc. I was heading towards buying a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56, but have nixed that from the list due to the tunneling issue.

So, if you had $5k to spend on a scope, what would you do? Is there an awesome product that fits the bill? Would you compromise on one of my "requirements"? Spend more than $5k?

I would appreciate any advice / recommendations.

Thanks!
Bill

Glad to hear someone spending 5k on a sport I love. Thanks god he's not buying golf clubs :)

Do alot of research and especially warranty on a product you chose

Status
Not open for further replies.