Best long range hunting shot to date...

I knocked down an antelope with a 338 lapua at 1109 yds. It was a typical episode of Wyo Outfitters Behaving Badly, they were using ATVs driving antelope off public and on to private. Got ****ed off, grabbed the big gun and flattend a doe. DNR lady got a good laugh out of it.

Best for me was a yote at 738 yards that I shot out the truck window with no range finder that day and had to guess the range. One shot done !!
Drove 2miles away and seen another and had to guess him also and dialed for 640 on that one and dropped him one shot.
Went back a couple days later and ranged the carcass and ravens on them and I was within 15 yards on both.
Kids thought I was a **** legend that day 🤣
Funny how the more you practice the luckier you get. Just beats all, huh?

Over twenty years ago prairie dogging in the Medora ND area. Remington VLS in 223, the scope was a 6.5-20 with a duplex reticle. Saw a biggish one standing up and facing us 'way out there', far beyond our antique range finder with almost-dead batteries. With a 200 yard zero and 50gr Nosler ballistic tips the amount of Kentucky windage was profound. Best guess is that I held six feet over and two feet into the wind. It didn't move after that and we finally decided I had actually hit it. The range finder worked at close range (where we didn't need it) so we used that in 100 yard increments taking readings off each other as we walked the distance. Came up with 572 yards, so figuring we hadn't gone in a perfectly straight line we rounded it down to 550. Bullet hole was in the breast bone, bullet had slowed down to the point it didn't expand and went out his back.

I couldn't do that again with a case of ammunition and a month's practice.

Probably my best LR hunting shot is this rock chuck at 399 yard ranged on a Leica RF. My Nosler 2nd's handloads out of AR15 I built from Bushmaster lower/ striped upper and Colt M4 barrel. I was still in the process of building and testing so I threw on a horrible Scopechief scope. Slung with no rest, cold bore headshot. And yes I aimed for the head since he was starring at me.
Update: I forgot to mention since the scope had the worst fisheye I had ever seen this was my luckiest shot too lol.
1648563627000.png

Last edited:
Still waiting for someone to not actually read the post and march on in here all in a huff with the

"Young man (doesn't matter how old the op is either) the eldm is not a hunting bullet, it's a target bullet bullet, we use hunting bullets for hunting for a reason" bit…..

Congrats on the shot, that's a good one! There's a difference between best shot and most satisfying for sure. I think my most satisfying was as a kid, I had one of those CO2 BB/pellet pistols, had tons of fun with it.

Anyways…call it a fluke or a freak, definitely was a one-time only thing…but I honest-to-God shot a barn swallow out of the sky, once. If you know how tiny a barn swallow and how fast and erratic their flight is you know that this is an even bigger deal than just shooting any bird mid-flight.,,,I've missed flying barn swallows with a 12 guage in days since then so that says something.

The other (ah, there's many I guess) was back when my eyes were a bit better (I'm only 30 now but I've had glasses since I was 5, in the last few years I've noticed some pesky floaters that make locking on a bit harder), I was 19 I think, and plinking with dad's marlin 336…not hunting. I taped a 6x6 inch piece of paper on a cardboard box and just for fun went back to 350 yards to see how close
I could get with an iron sighted .30-30 (and the kind of sights that cover the enter target if you aim conventionally).

I was over the moon when I discovered walking back downrange that I put all five
Of the shots I took inside that square! Haven't tried it since, gotta quit while I'm ahead.

Since we are judging long range by the size of our target animal.

Back a few years ago my wife bought me a Remington R15. It was their camo coyote rifle, when they first came out. I was at the range with it just seeing if it would shoot. Factory ammo, with a extra scope I had laying around. Sighted it in at 100yds, went out to 200yds. I was getting great groups. Except for a random "flier" several inchs away 8 to 10 rounds apart. After watching the target and racking my brain, these "fliers" would disappear. So I done what any man would do, I put a stop to my aggravations...

Attachments

• 20220220_163509~2.jpg
    20220220_163509~2.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 166
Those who laugh have obviously never been charged by a wounded bull pigeon. I have scars from a particularly bad mauling after a client muffed a shot. The physical scars are nothing compared to the mental trauma. The grandkids were watching Sesame Street. When Big Bird came on, I had a bit of a meltdown. Still in therapy but making progress. I can even eat chicken again, as long as someone cuts it up for me first.

There is even a book/video series out. "Death in the Short Grass" and volume 2 "Death on the Sidewalk".

Great shot. A called headshot on a pigeon at that range is an accomplishment.

Those who laugh have obviously never been charged by a wounded bull pigeon. I have scars from a particularly bad mauling after a client muffed a shot. The physical scars are nothing compared to the mental trauma. The grandkids were watching Sesame Street. When Big Bird came on, I had a bit of a meltdown. Still in therapy but making progress. I can even eat chicken again, as long as someone cuts it up for me first.

There is even a book/video series out. "Death in the Short Grass" and volume 2 "Death on the Sidewalk".

Great shot. A called headshot on a pigeon at that range is an accomplishment.
I feel your pain. We had 'Golden Mantleds" charge us. We called them timber tigers.

Back a few years ago my wife bought me a Remington R15. It was their camo coyote rifle, when they first came out. I was at the range with it just seeing if it would shoot. Factory ammo, with a extra scope I had laying around. Sighted it in at 100yds, went out to 200yds. I was getting great groups. Except for a random "flier" several inchs away 8 to 10 rounds apart. After watching the target and racking my brain, these "fliers" would disappear. So I done what any man would do, I put a stop to my aggravations...

I believe I saw Jed and Granny doing that on the Beverly Hillbillies with muzzle loaders.

I have some shots on elk out to 500 yds , and a bunch closer not one was a chip shot, and
Finally thanks to this site ,I ordered a dial ,from Kenton inc.,
So I can stretch it out ,if it happens , should be here soon.

I do have a few favorite shots , and I have to call this one instinctive.
Me and my buddies son were backpack hunting blacktails
And we were 100 yds apart , when I peeked over a saddle into a draw , it was steep and rocky with 3 or 4 trees in it.
I looked under each tree from left to right and under the last one a beautiful 4 point ,was half way up out of his bed ,on his front legs ,tail end on the ground ,looking away from me ,but he knew something was up .
So I waved at my buddies son to get him over to let him shoot it , all the while watching it in my scope.The third time I checked back on the buck he turned his head ,and was looking right at me , and I new he'd be gone in one jump ,
So I instinctively pulled the trigger and hit him right above the eyeball , at 99 yds.
When the kid finally got over to me he said what were you shooting at a raven? I said no look under that tree down there, he couldn't believe it.
Lucky he was with me ,it was so steep I went down with half the deer on my back on all fours , while he kinda skied down with the other half , nice to be 20 and fearless .

How many times have we discussed "ethics" and head shots? :cool:

Hitting an unpredictable moving "dime" at 198 with a 264WM isn't for the novice, and runs the risk of breaking a beak, clipping feathers or worse. Then, you will have a really ****ed off pigeon dropping poop bombs on you all the way home. Risky, but you pulled it off.