My best shot to date!

shortpants

Been awhile since I posted anything. I recently started my own business while still working my old career at the same time. Well anyway I did get a chance to go shoot my rifle this past weekend. Factory Browning A-Bolt II in 300WSM shooting HSM 178 AMAX's. It's got a reworked factory trigger at 2lbs and a brake but other than that it's all factory. As a few of you know I've been working with this rifle for awhile finding the right factory ammo it likes and then learning how to use a kestrel and creating a ballistic profile in my bulletflight program. This rifle has proven repeatedly that it loves these AMAX's. It averages 3/4 moa and even shot a 4 1/2" group at 976 yards last year off the bipod! Well I got a new lot of the same ammo and went out to see if the new lot shot the same. I picked out a rock in the spotter and then pulled out the Vectronix Terrapin rangefinder to get a range. The rock didn't look that far away in the Vortex spotter but the rangefinder displayed 1159 yards. The farthest I've ever shot was 1109 but since I was verifying my drops I figured what the hell. After entering in all the data and cranking the turret up 37moa I got settled in behind the rifle. I called out "on it" and heard those magic words from my good friend and spotter "send it." I touched it off and almost 2 seconds later saw a big puff of white smoke coming off the rock followed by the word "hit!!!" The entire lower right 1/3 of the rock was blown off. Using the reticle in the Vortex spotter I was able to determine that the rock was approximately 22" around and the bullet impacted about 5" low and 9" to the right of center. I know there are many guys out there who can make this shot in their sleep but for me and my factory equipment this has been a very long time coming. I've learned a whole lot in the process and enjoyed every minute of it. In just a few short months my first custom rifle will be complete and I will be all set up to start the next chapter in my shooting career. I can't wait!!! I was planning on selling this factory rifle when the custom arrives but I don't think I'll be able to let it go.

Nice! Wait until you get your custom and get a good load for it. You will wonder why you never went to a custom sooner! I got my first custom back in February(338 LM). Found a load that it likes and it has shot two 4 shot groups on different days that measured 4.9" and 4.8" at 1300 yds. I was extremely pleased but I Havnt shot it again and that was about 2-3 months ago. I did a little write up in the ELR section on it.

What are the details on your custom?

I've said for many years if I could only own 1 rifle to hunt everything in North America it would be a 300win mag. Funny thing is I still have yet to own one. The WSM is a close second I guess but when it came time to build my dream rifle the 300win mag was the winner even after the long topic on here I started about which 7mm I should build. After speaking with a few gunsmiths I chose to have our own Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles do the work. While researching as much as I could about the 300 I couldn't help but be amazed at the results Broz was getting out of his 300 with the 215 Bergers. So rather than try to reinvent the wheel again on this caliber I just decided to copy Jeff's rifle. There are some cosmetic differences but overall they are the same. My shooting partner is also building one, also only cosmetically different.

Stiller Predetor
Broughton 5c 28"
Mini magnum Muscle Brake from CSR
McMillan A-3 w/adjustable cheek piece
Jewel trigger @ 1.5lbs
30 moa rail
5.5-22x50 NXS w/NP-R1
Wyatt's box

I should have it in February! Don't worry I'll be sure to post pics.

Sometimes it amazes me how slow I can be. I don't know why it just dawned on me this morning but I just realized my shot impacting 9" to the right might not have been an accident. Last week I shot the biggest deer I've killed in awhile at 403 yards. One shot and he never knew what hit him. I thought it was going to be a heart shot for sure but was very surprised to find I had hit him 5" to the right of my aim point. Before the hunt I verified my zero and did make an adjustment to my windage turret. I never could figure out how I could have missed that far right but now I suspect I have a zero issue. If I'm correct that means I might be able to improve on this rifles accuracy even more! I don't expect to get much more out of this setup but it has been beating my expectations all along. I guess I've got to explain to the wife that I have to go shooting again!!!

Very well done Jason.

The rifle specs listed are cream. What barrel profile and twist? Fluted? I think you made a great choice on the cartridge as well. 208-215s will do amazing things in the 300wm. I've only ran 208s and 210s in mine but would like to try the 215s. You'll love the A3. I sold all of my HTGs and switched to A3s with one A5. I like the A3 better than the A5. The A3 works surprisingly well for off hand shots as well. Glad to also see you go with the 50mm versus the 56mm.

Can't wait to see it.

M

Thanks Michael. It's very close to a Sendero contour except it finishes at .830 at the muzzle making it slightly heavier. I'm going with 6 straight flutes. Twist is 1:10. Again I have to give Jeff a lot of credit for taking the time to help me put this together. I am definitely going to have to make it to one of his shoots after I get it dialed in. Next time your down here Michael we will have to throw some lead!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts