Best lite LR scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Topshot, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

Looking at getting a new scope for a rifle that will be used for back packing hunts.
    Needs to be lite weight and have reliable turret adjustments so that I can dial up to shoot out to 1K maximum.
    Want 1/4 MOA adjustments. I also prefer exposed type turrets if possible.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. Airgunner7

Airgunner7 Well-Known Member

Think my 4200 bushnell is titanium?
    Just a thought.

3. Gene Jr.

Gene Jr. Well-Known Member

When weight is a major consideration Leupolds are hard to beat. M1 knobs can be added to most higher end models. It allows you to custom configure something to your needs. I have a 6.5-20X40mm LR with M1 turrets. To do it over, I'd only get the elevation and not both turrets. This scope has been on a carry weight rifle it's whole life and has kills from 30 yards to all but 400.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

There are a lot of fine scopes out there now but there is not much difference in the weight
    of the lighter scopes, so I would recomend the Leupolds for the features.

I would go with something like the 4.5x14x40 VX3L because it weighs 15.1oz, has a 30mm
    tube, side focus,and is short and compact.

I would also get a M1 turret for the elevation only, as Gene recomended.

14 power is my favorite magnification of all the scopes I have and the most usable for
    all types of hunting.

If you want more light gathering the 50 mm objectives add only around 1/2 of an oz (16.5oz
    overall weight compared to 15.1 of the 40mm).

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM

5. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Topshot, I'm with JE on this one. I put that same scope on my 300 WM pack rifle a couple of years ago and it's a nice setup. Mine is the older version VX-III 4.5x14x40 LR with the B&C reticle. I wanted a accurate scope without a lot of extra weight and have been very happy with it. I haven't added the M1 turret yet, but may eventually.