Best hunting crossbow?

I shoot a Scorpyd Ventilator Extreme 175#, HHA and Leupold VX-R scope. 435gr arrow at 435fps. As Buck Buster says, too many things can happen beyond 40 yards. EVERY crossbow is extremely loud in the woods. You and your buddy need to go out into the woods and each other listen from 50 yards away as you and he shoot the bow. You will be surprised. And the inevitable loud noise it makes has significant implications for whitetail hunting. Here is a true story. Three years ago I shot at a doe standing at 55 yards from me. Before the arrow arrived she dropped about 8 inches to launch, and lurched forward about a foot when the arrow arrived and impacted her high and back. I lost that deer. So I went back and did the math to understand what happened. Using 1156 fps as the speed of sound and a steady rate of arrow slowing in flight, I figured out that the doe heard my Scorpyd crossbow fire when the arrow was 28 yards from me and still had 27 yards to go to reach her....at 435 fps launch speed! With a whitetail's amazing reaction time, that's an eternity. I learned my lesson. The longest shot I will take now is 45 yards, and only under certain circumstances. And I always aim at the heart no matter the length of the shot. Yes most of the crossbows offered today can shoot long distances. I enjoy the challenge of long-distance target shooting. My best 3-shot group at 80 yards is 1.25". And long distance shooting teaches you the importance of how to hold the bow consistently. But don't for a second think you can shoot a deer that far. In Alabama if i shot at a deer standing 80 yards from me the deer wouldn't be standing there when the arrow arrived. A complete miss.

Keith

Another vote for Scorpyd Ventilator. I keep "wanting" something new, but cant find anything that would get the job done better. Fast, quiet and accurate.

Tenpoint's new viper. Smaller and lighter than older tenpoints but still a 400 FPS bow. Great cocking and decocking system.

People think spending a mortgage payment of a crossbow is the best thing to do, well that crossbow the second you walk out the door lost value, that crossbow within reasonable hunting yards 70 yards max will do the same thing as a $250 crossbow. Today's inexpensive crossbows are quality, they are accurate, yes they may not come with a silent crank or de-cocking lever, but they are accurate as hell. I few years ago I purchased a Centerpoint 380 Tormentor same as my friend had this was my first crossbow, I did change out the scope and bolts for hunting. He did the same but he had a more expensive scope and bolts as I did, the reason for my set up was I got it cause of back issues and didn't care to spend alot in case I rather hunt with my Mathews compound. I started the season off with my Mathews then the back issues started, drawing was very painful. So we both have the same crossbow, my Victory Decimator bolts shot the same as his custom made bolts from my crossbow, and he shot both my bolts and his bolts from his crossbow and they grouped the same as well, we shot from 10 yards out to 70 yards.

Now after the season I wanted a another crossbow, I can afford a expensive crossbow, but why spend the scratch? So I went searching and I was going to get the CP400 it's a Centerpoint/Ravin, by the way the company that owns Centerpoint also owns Ravin, but the trigger I didn't like.....So I read up on the Centerpoint 415, it comes in three models: Amped, Heat and Patriot they are all the same the Patriot is a Walmart exclusive......Don't you know I found it at Walmart on end of season sale for $168.00, of course I got it, I wanted a Hawke scope, the one I wanted sells for a average price of $200, local hunter near me had a brand new one still in the box, never used I paid $100, I have the bolts which are sold at Dicks Sporting Goods non lighted nocks when on sale 6 for $20, or lighted nocks 3 for $30 and I opted for them.

I know a two local guys from my state that test crossbows from many makers....they both told me, the expensive crossbows are not 100% made in America as they claim, some parts come from the same place where many inexpensive crossbows are made, when they say 100% American they mean assembled here, there is a difference...The inexpensive crossbows from Centerpoint, PSE, Carbon Express, Bear, Xpedition, Browning, along with other known brands and some smaller brands that aren't known as well as some parts for the expensive brands are made by two companies : https://www.archery-manufacturer.com/crossbow.htm and http://www.poelang.com/products/index.php?language=_eng&fmenu=2&cid=2

The companies that have crossbows made, look at the specs, and the look of their crossbows and compare they are the same, the camo maybe different, or some other cosmetic stuff this is to say to the public this is our crossbow and model......

If you spend a mortgage on a crossbow then do it, just wasting your cash

If price isn't an option which latest and greatest crossbow would you rank the highest for big game hunting. I mostly hunt open country in the Western US so there would be an advantage having a flat shooting, fast crossbow for long range shooting. I would be willing to pay more for quality!
Scorpyd/ ravin

You "hear" a lot of things. I prefer to SEE before jumping off into the deep end. LOL
I almost bought a Carbon Express Piledriver 390 at the Walmart yesterday. They had the package deal marked down to $199 but I fought off the craving. Saving my money so if and probably when my Parker breaks I can afford an Excalibur. I did get a great deal on a Summit Safety Harness package that contained the body harness with about a 20' length of rope with prusik hitch installed and two locking carabiners for $35. The rope and carabiners would cost more than that individually.
I had an ex caliber several years ago not the newer models that they have now and I loved it it truly is the 4 x 4 of cross bows I like the fact that it is simple and nearly indestructible it still bothers me that I sold it to go hunting out of state where crossbows we're not allowed I bought a great compound a Hoyt carbon element but still miss the Excaliber

I know it's an old thread and I'm late to the party.....
I just started using a crossbow this post season. No reason other than it's legal for private lands here and I like to kill deer. I bought a Scorpyd Nemesis 480. Advertises speed is 480 fps but real world hunting speed with 22" black eagle executioner's with brass inserts (forget the total weight) is 465 fps. It absolutely blows through deer. Killed a heavy buck out of state this year that weighed 275 lbs at 61 yds (rangefinder verified before shot). Blew through both shoulders using a Swhacker 100 grain broadhead. Buck ran 30-40 yds and died. A close friend has 2 Ravins, a R20 and another I'm not sure the model. They are sweet and compact. However, they cannot duplicates the speed of the Scorpyd I have shooting the same arrow weight. Not bashing them just comparing. Now they are better in terms of being a compact bow and that can be the difference in a shot or not if you're leaning against a tree in a stand try to get a shot behind you (width matters lol). But if you can pull it (mine is a rope pull/no crank) it's beast and lethal at distance. And hold 1" groups off a rest at 100 yds.

Basically I am asking the same

As far as what's the best..... well that's always in the eyes of the beholder. Most crossbow out these days, whether they're Walmart specials or high end expensive rigs, will be more than adequate. I really like my Scorpyd. It was very expensive, but I had the $ and my wife didn't kill me lol. But I've killed a lot of deer with a vertical bow that shot way slower. Still just as dead. Just be proficient with whatever you choose.

Just got a wicked ridge rxt 400 and so far im impressed. Just for the record , i sold and setup crossbows for several years back in the time frame of them being legalized in Ga . Ive setup and shot 100s of them. Best seller was the excalibur line up . Also sold alot of hortons, parkers, 10pt, pse including the one on an AR lower . None of those shot as nice as this wicked ridge does. Im sold on the reverse limb design. Balance is exceptional . Very little shock when fired. About half the noise level of a 200lbs excalibur . Very compact , but my.long arms dont feel cramped shooting it . Shoots the aluminum bolts , 447gr, at 370fps . Just got some 10pt carbons that weigh 404 gr on my reloading scales . I will crono those tomorrow . 10pt claims the crossbow will shoot 400fps with a 375gr bolt . For the money, its a nice crossbow. I will give more feedback once i get everything dialed in . Today, my daughter and i took turns shooting in the same hole, or within a half inch circle , sitting without a rest at 16 yards, just getting familiar with it. Very fun to shoot !

Shot the wicked ridge through my graph this morning . 404 gn bolt shot 386fps , so im pretty impressed that it should shoot right at advertised speed, 400fps with 375gn bolts.
Just putting this out there. I bought the HHA dial adjustable scope base, just so i could play around at 100yds with it . Just so happens the cocking sled on the accudraw2 hits the wheel on the base. Just something to look out for if you try something similar.

Check out the hawk scope with the speed dial. Basically you dial in your setup after zeroing at 40. No wheel or anything to mess with. Range target, use appropriate reticle aim point and shoot. Had mine zeroed and shooting to 100 yds in no time. Nothing to interfere with while cocking.

Attachments

• 78AC9652-30D3-41FD-8FD0-4471BC9E8747.jpeg
    78AC9652-30D3-41FD-8FD0-4471BC9E8747.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 282
Not the latest, greatest or fastest but, if you want an almost indestructable (built like a tank) crossbow, the Cam X 330 just plain works.

Older used Scorpyds are a good value because that initial deprecation is over and it is very accurate. Their reverse limb design makes for a short, fast and well balanced crossbow.