Best hunting crossbow?

The old saying buy once cry once is correct, if anything, don't settle save up and get one you will like. In 2013, when I purchased my xbow, the Top Speed on any was 400fps, now they are pushing 465, of course read the fine print, in 2013 it was with a 400gr arrow, today I see the speed is up, but also see the arrow is now at 370gr to reach that speed. If i was going to purchase one today, I would look at the Scorpyd or Ravin, I would like to hold it first of possible, the reverse limb xbows seem to balance a lot better than the traditional, also weight, think about the weight you are going to lug around. Good luck on your purchase.

Scorpyd nemesis 480 fps with 370 gr arrow. I would up arrow to 425 gr minimum and have about a 450 fps bow. That's crazy impressive. I love my scorpyd so much I am leaning that way for my 3rd crossbow. Scorpyd Nemesis with 180 lb limbs. Smoking fast with top accuracy. Love it.

I started with a Killer Instinct 370 FRT several years ago,nice setup for the money.Bought a R20 last year, absolutely love it, 4 deer last year and 2 so far this year.

I started with a Killer Instinct 370 FRT several years ago,nice setup for the money.Bought a R20 last year, absolutely love it, 4 deer last year and 2 so far this year.
I have had a Killer Instinct for 4 seasons, mine was the 365 and isn't made anymore, but it has a lifetime warranty and I believe it shoots as well as any, even the Ten Points ! But they only cost a fraction of what a Ten Point costs, and the Ten Points limbs are only warranted for 5 years anymore ! I have killed several deer with it ! And they have all been pass throughs ! I use a 125 grain 3 bladed Muzzy broadhead !

Scorpyd Ventilator or Orion 160, even though I have a Vent 135. If was able to cock it, I'd have a Vent 160 Extreme.

I know this is really late but I've used about every top end bow, out there over the last 10yrs and now shoot nothing but Excalibur. Right now the 420TD it's a little heavy compared to some but balances well. I love the fit, feel and didn't think I'd like the take down but it is my favorite part, now. Easy to store and travel, with. Like that I can change strings, limbs or whatever else needs done without paying someone.

I know this is really late but I've used about every top end bow, out there over the last 10yrs and now shoot nothing but Excalibur. Right now the 420TD it's a little heavy compared to some but balances well. I love the fit, feel and didn't think I'd like the take down but it is my favorite part, now. Easy to store and travel, with. Like that I can change strings, limbs or whatever else needs done without paying someone.
They are an excellent X bow, but I was turned off with the safety on them, both my brothers have them and I had to remind my oldest brother to put his safety on, for the safety is not put on automatically when the string is pulled back as with most other X-bows ! Another thing I didn't like was the wide width of the Excalibur bows, they are making them narrower then the first ones were. I have a Killer Instinct 365 and I have not had to make an adjustment to it since I purchased it 4 years ago, no string or cable replacements either, and they have a lifetime warrantee ! The Ten Point products no longer have the lifetime warrantee on their limbs. Again it's a personal choice what everybody likes, another thing I like better is the cam X-bows are easier to pull the string back on and the cost is a fraction of the Ten Points and the X-calibers ! I only paid about $300 for my bow 4 years ago.

They are an excellent X bow, but I was turned off with the safety on them, both my brothers have them and I had to remind my oldest brother to put his safety on, for the safety is not put on automatically when the string is pulled back as with most other X-bows ! Another thing I didn't like was the wide width of the Excalibur bows, they are making them narrower then the first ones were. I have a Killer Instinct 365 and I have not had to make an adjustment to it since I purchased it 4 years ago, no string or cable replacements either, and they have a lifetime warrantee ! The Ten Point products no longer have the lifetime warrantee on their limbs. Again it's a personal choice what everybody likes, another thing I like better is the cam X-bows are easier to pull the string back on and the cost is a fraction of the Ten Points and the X-calibers ! I only paid about $300 for my bow 4 years ago.

I agree on the safety but have shot one long enough now that it's second nature to engage safety as soon as I cock it. The width is a little wide but I hunt large homemade stands and width has never been an issue.
What switched me to Excalibur was the simplicity and they really are tanks. My last cam/cable bow was a Tenpoint, it flew out of my holder while traveling across a cut field on my 4 wheeler and then I ran over it. Would have Completely ruined the rest the year for me (if I didn't have the extra cash to buy another) I bought an Excalibur to finish the season while the Tenpoint was being repaired. Like an idiot the same thing happened again but this time some scuff marks was all that was wrong and even was still hitting the same POI. Since then (about 4yrs ago) it's happened a couple more times and once I actually forgot it on top of my bed cover and lost it on the road. Turned around and found it, had to change the string but other than that, it was good to go.
By the time I got the Tenpoint back, I was a convert and sold the Tenpoint.

yes, I'm forgetful and careless, at times!

I agree on the safety but have shot one long enough now that it's second nature to engage safety as soon as I cock it. The width is a little wide but I hunt large homemade stands and width has never been an issue.
What switched me to Excalibur was the simplicity and they really are tanks. My last cam/cable bow was a Tenpoint, it flew out of my holder while traveling across a cut field on my 4 wheeler and then I ran over it. Would have Completely ruined the rest the year for me (if I didn't have the extra cash to buy another) I bought an Excalibur to finish the season while the Tenpoint was being repaired. Like an idiot the same thing happened again but this time some scuff marks was all that was wrong and even was still hitting the same POI. Since then (about 4yrs ago) it's happened a couple more times and once I actually forgot it on top of my bed cover and lost it on the road. Turned around and found it, had to change the string but other than that, it was good to go.
By the time I got the Tenpoint back, I was a convert and sold the Tenpoint.

yes, I'm forgetful and careless, at times!
As you made the same mistake twice, and was able to make a change ! A person may not get a second chance if they forget to put the safety on, or they perhaps will have to live with grief the rest of their lives ! It would be simple for them to change that issue ! I think a person is more likely to forget when they have made a shot and in the excitement of hurrying to perhaps get a follow up shot or a second shot to put the safety back on! The Excalibur is perhaps more durable, but I would not trade having seen both in action. As I said, they make different models because one model doesn't fit all and everyone likes certain features of different bows, the same as rifles and scopes, or cars and trucks.

The New Tenpoint Vapor......Has the best cocking-decocking on the market. Also has the new micro rail where string wear is 1000s of shots before restring is needed. Shooting 450fps with a hunting weight arrow. Extremely accurate also.

The new Tenpoint Vapor... Has the best and safest cocking-de-cocking in the business. The new micro rail system is easy on strings ,with 1000s of shots before replacement is needed. Very compact and balanced. And at 450fps with a hunting weight arrow ...Fast

The new Tenpoint Vapor... Has the best and safest cocking-de-cocking in the business. The new micro rail system is easy on strings ,with 1000s of shots before replacement is needed. Very compact and balanced. And at 450fps with a hunting weight arrow ...Fast
I have a Killer Instinct 360, have had it 5 seasons and have not had to make the slightest of adjustments to it, nor have I had to replace a string or cable ! The compound X-bows are easier to cock, and all I do to de-cock it is reach into my truck and pull out a small plastic feed sack stuffed with rags and shoot an old practice arrow into it, takes a only a second ! And best of all it only costs a little over $300 when I bought it and it has a lifetime warrantee, even on the limbs ! I am sure they cost more today, but still a fraction of the price for a top end Ten Point or Excalibur ! And the quality I have to say is just as good ! My two brothers and a friend have Excaliburs and mine seems much faster then theirs and they are supposed to be about the same speed. I can't even see my bolts go with lighted knocks, so I quit using them ! I just watch for the hair to change shape or color, that's where the arrow hit ! I did put an Excalibur scope on my KI 360 because the variable magnification allowed me to be sighted in at the different yardages closer. I will only shoot out to 40 yards, because too many bad things can happen when attempting shots farther.

Recent Posts