Best factory rifle?

also something to keep in mind, accuracy isn;t everything, there is something to be said about how a rifle FITS you, and how you like the looks of it, add in function for task at hand, and easy to carry and or use, or weight, size?/ and so on!
just cause its FACTORY made doesn;'t me its the right rifle for the job, even if it shoots sum MOA of your liking!

as hell, rail guns are super accurate, but not what I'd want to hunt with or carry afield!

I have seen very few rifles that I couldn't get to shoot well with basic's
from trigger work, fitting stock better, and working up a load for!

and again, just cause you BUY X rifle based on suggestions from others, doesn;t mean the one your GETTING will be as accurate,
as after decades shooting rifles of all makes and brands and models, I can tell you I have seen a BAD few come from every name brand
hasn't been a one that made everything perfect every time, be it a rifle or a scope or bullet or??
QC if they even have any, typically only checks about 10 % IF that, most check far far far less!
and even when checked, the SPECS< allow for tolerance differences
so even if you took 10 that passed an inspections , odds are they would all shoot differently! as there are not just ONE part to a rifle, so QC doesn;t check each and every PART on it, hell, they could only again check 1% of ALL "X" part made on the rifle
so, odds are 99.9 % of the parts on any rifle were EVER QC inspected!( I have 20 yrs of experience with working with quality control on assemble lines too by the way)
which is again why there are differences in EVERY rifle that leave's a company's factory!

I have multiple Tikka and Sako rifles. .223, .223Wylde, .243..308 x 2 .300 WM, like them all, just keep buying them. Some are beautiful, some are not, they all shoot very well.

I plan on "building" a rifle, and by building I mean upgrading What I deem necessary whether that be barrel (I hope not), stock, lugs, mercury tube, brake etc. caliber aside, in y'all's opinion what is the best factory rifle under or at a 2k$ price point?
Ruger American Predator with a $1500 scope, Vortex Razor 4.5X22 work great for hunting

We recently built a rifle for a customer in 30-06 Ackley Improved on a Rem 700 action. Because it was strictly a hunting rifle, we lapped the bolt lugs, but did not true the action. It is consistently shooting 1/2" groups…the customer spent about $2200 on parts and labor. Having said all this, if you have $2k to spend on a factory rifle, why not save your pennies and build a custom rifle. My suggestion would be a 30-06 for an all-around hunting rifle.
The cost listed above does not include an optic.

I vote Remington M700
Yup,.. the OLD,.. 1970 / 1980's Rem Rifles were, "Awesome" But, some of, the LATER years, "can be",... "Money Pits" !
You "may" have to, True and Re-Thread the action, Re-Trigger them and Time ( Weld, the Bolt's on, properly),.. NO, thanks !!!
I have, an Old 1981 Rem 700 Model that's, Smooth as Glass ( Bolt is, perfectly "Timed" ) and it, really,.. "Shoots" ( IT's old time, Quality ! )
I've found that, the Newer, Rem 700's, "Can Be", a "crapshoot", AKA,.. "Money Pit" !

Last edited:
I plan on "building" a rifle, and by building I mean upgrading What I deem necessary whether that be barrel (I hope not), stock, lugs, mercury tube, brake etc. caliber aside, in y'all's opinion what is the best factory rifle under or at a 2k$ price point?
My opinion is the B -14 Bergara, we got 3 for partner myself and friend, all three shot under 1/2" MOA right out of the box, the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 4 th one was a 6.5 PRC, Unbelievable shooters, one shoots .20 MOA and it's the PRC, shooting Hornady 143 gr, ELD-X , guys took them to Mexico and shot those tiny deer at 475 yds. right in the boiler room. Price is around or when we got them a year ago was around $1.050.00

A tikka in a manners/mcmillan is hard to beat. I just put my bergara Hmr in a mcmillan a6 and I'm pretty happy with it. I will say it had issues with a weak extractor spring and ejector spring causing failures to extract on the clock at a match that made me almost sell it. However bergara got me a bolt parts kit in the mail that fixed the issue. It shoots 130 eldm very very well.
5008C09B-E58F-44B5-B7D9-4AB1F38F2E94.jpeg
9AAD205D-1DFC-4729-940A-86D6B89D091C.jpeg

My $0.02, and it's going to draw some ire, but it's my experience. I will personally NEVER own another new Bergara or Sako. I had 2 of each and they rated between fair for a wood-stocked Bergara to abysmal for the 2 Sakos in the accuracy category. 3 - 3 1/2" groups. The synthetic Bergara wouldn't quite get to 1.5". So no thank you. I've had a few Tikkas, mainly the T3s that were pretty, meh...

The old Sako 75s or 461s, etc. are worth a mint, as I've never had one that wouldn't get 1/2" or better. If you can find one, a Sauer 101 with wooden stock will be your heirloom you'll never put it down. Even the syntheric stocked one will meet your accuracy, feel, and trigger requirements, but that stock is tacky and the finish will scratch off and get every bit of lint, hair, fuzz, etc. stuck to it, and you can'tbget it off.

Howa has a model now with Proof barrel and HS stock in some really cool color schemes. Howas are generally accurate anyway, but I would buy this for the $1600 +/- they run.

Or what I DID do is buy a $360 Savage Axis and turned it into an unrecognizable wildcat that shoots bugholes for $1400 total including the donor Axis. 1.7 lb trigger, fluted bolt, and all.

Most of Browning's stuff is pretty solid, too.