Best factory rifle?

jstreater69

I plan on "building" a rifle, and by building I mean upgrading What I deem necessary whether that be barrel (I hope not), stock, lugs, mercury tube, brake etc. caliber aside, in y'all's opinion what is the best factory rifle under or at a 2k$ price point?

I hear the Springfield Waypoint is one bringing top reviews for the features/dollar.
May not be chambered in your caliber of choice though.

Unless you get real lucky and get a factory rifle that will shoot, plan on truing an action and replacing the barrel with a GOOD custom. Accuracy is subjective for each shooter. My definition is one that will shoot in the .3s at 100 yards and an aggregate of no greater than half inch. Good luck on your search.

Generally you have a number of very capable factory rifles in your price point. It really depends on your priorities and desires. Weight, feel, aesthetics, and features are all personal choices. If this is purely a hunting rifle, you can get away with a smaller contour barrel. Brands mean little unless you are looking at after market support. Handle several and let the fit and feel drive your decision.

I'm real Happy with, my 3 Tikka, T-3's in,.. .243 Win, 6.5 Creed and .270 WSM.
All 3 are, 1/2 MOA Rifles, "usually' but, could be,.. 3/4 MOA on one of, my Bad Days.
2 are, 7.5 Pounds, the .270 WSM is, 7lbs, 10 oz's and ALL are, good for, Long Hikes,.. in the Mountains
I can afford Custom Rifle's. BUT since, I don't carry my 50 Pound, "Bench" into, the Back country "Hunting",.. WHY ???
Put the rest of, your $$$'s into, a Good Scope and buy Lots of PRACTICE,.. Ammo !

IMHO, the Tikka if shooting light bullets because of typical twist rate. It does very well. If shooting heavy for caliber - Bergara is pretty good for a factory rifle. Attached photos show what a HMR Pro in 6.5 PRC w/handloads can do with a mediocre shooter. One 5-shot group at 1000 and one 3-shot at 100.

I have not tried a newer Tikka in Creedmoor, but I think they now have faster twists.

Attachments

• C23B568C-CFA9-48FA-9B44-30A60514D6EC.jpeg
    C23B568C-CFA9-48FA-9B44-30A60514D6EC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 310
  • 7B55EE3F-D005-4150-9555-8F80651D5CCA.jpeg
    7B55EE3F-D005-4150-9555-8F80651D5CCA.jpeg
    806.1 KB · Views: 288
There's a good bit of rifles out there that shoot well under 2k…. But if you're inevitably going to make changes to it, I think it's worth grabbing a model 700, a Tikka, or a savage used and build off of it. I've have swapped barrels on a model 700 sendero and it shoot great. Had a factory savage with a proof barrel and it shot great. I may be more conservative on the buying and building but I also can't afford a full on 5k plus rifle. Mine have gotten me to 1k yds
and I've had good accuracy. Give me more money for hunts and enjoying them.

Iv had two Tikka's. 7-08 and 25-06. Both shot consistent 3/4 " at 100. For a hunting rifle and the money, hard to beat. Last year I got a Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 CM. It's more pricy, and a different feel. Rigged out with a Vx5HD 3-15x44 it weighs 8.4 lbs. 1/2" @ 100 It's more a cross bench and hunting type rifle. I really like mine so far.

Like someone said, handle some and buy what feels good to you. Good Luck on your new rifle.

You really didn't say what the intended purpose of the rifle. With that being said of factory rifles there are 3 that I favor more so than others. Bergara, Tikka, and Seekins. I had had a few of each of the above and they all had one thing in common they all shot very well.
I'm sorry, the intended use is kind of an all around hunting rifle, everything from white tails to elk. I prefer it to be in the 8-10 pound range and would like performance to be the main factor.

Recent Posts