factory match rifle

Guy M

Interested in shooting competition? Didn't like the idea of a $2500 - $4500 match rifle and maybe you don't have a real match-quality riflesmith in your area to build it anyway?

Say thanks to Savage! They've made it incredibly easy to get into F-class competition with a choice of two factory built, very competitive, match rifles.

12-F-TR-Target-Rifle.jpg

This is the .308 version, and sells for just under a grand at our local gunshop. They also make a 6.5-284 version for those who want a flatter trajectory and less wind drift. The grand doesn't include the scope or bipod of course... Sheesh... I borrowed the photo from Savage, hope they don't mind.

Introduced just this year, these things are making waves at regional matches already and Team Savage will have them on the line at the Nationals, in Raton New Mexico. These rifles are competitive, at 1000 yards, with custom rifles costing three times as much, or more. They represent an awesome deal for anyone who's interested in F-class competition.

What's F-class? In a nutshell, it's prone competition out to 1000 yards, run by the NRA. It's a subset of NRA Highpower competition, and in my opinion it's the easiest of all competitions for a basic rifleman to enter. Get your rifle, get some good loads, put it on a bipod, dial in your scope and blaze away. A typical match is three strings of twenty, with a couple of sighters before each string of fire. F class is further split into "open" and "F/TR". Only .308 and .223 rifles are allowed in F/TR. In "open" you will see pretty much anything short of a .338 Lapua mag! The match winner at our Washington State 600 yard championships yesterday was shooting a 6 Dasher - an awesomely accurate small-bore wildcat.

These Savage match rifles have been producing some incredible groups.

Which one is for you? Depends. For an entry level shooter, I recommend the .308 version. A .308 is very easy to load for, factory loaded match ammo is readily available if you don't want to roll your own. And, barrels last a long time. I generally get 4000 - 6000 rounds of accurate barrel life from my match .308 barrels. Many 6.5-284 competitors trash their barrels in 1000 - 1500 rounds. I don't know how these Savage barrels will hold up yet, but I'd imagine they will do fine.

The other good thing the Savage has going for it is that it is very friendly to home gunsmithing. With my Winchester & Remington precision rifles I have to take the rifle to a smith and have him chamber, thread and fit a new barrel every time I wear one out. With the Savage, a fellow can order pre-chambered match grade barrels from Pac Nor, Shilen and other sources and put 'em on in his own home/garage shop! It's easy!

So there ya go. Give it some thought. I have absolutely no connection with Savage Firearms, and frankly I don't even own one. My entry into match shooting was a long time ago. I have however been very, very impressed with what I've seen. Savage is trying very hard to field a factory built rifle that will be truly competitive, and they've succeeded. To me, this means it's easier than ever for more guys to get into competition shooting, and that's a good thing for all of us.

Strongly suspect that one of these rifles, in either .308 or 6.5-284 is a reasonable option to consider for someone getting into long range/precision hunting too...

Regards, Guy

Remember this also, the 308 comes with a 30" barrel in 1-10 twist.

add $150 for a rechamber to any other 30 caliber and $50 for another bolt head now you have 300 RUM, 300 WSM etc added to the $925 cost of the gun (Savage Shooters and Northlander selling them).

Bottom line is $1200 and brand new very good LR gun!!

I have got an LRPV 223 in the 1-7 twist that is great. That is the target action also.

Hmmm something to give careful consideration to:D

BH

What do they call this rifle and does Savage make it in a 223?

It sounds really good. Savage has been making some fine factory rifles latley. My buddy has a new Savage 12BVSS in 243 that he uses for long range varminting, it shoots really well. He has shot many .4" inch groups at 100 yards using hand loads. He uses the 75grn V-max with a velocity around 3450fps using 45.5grns of H414. This combo is devastating on ground squirrels out to 500 yards. He averages 1/2 inch groups with this rifle. He has made many kills out to 600 yards with this set up. I would highly recommend a Savage rifle if you can't afford a custom set up.

This is my friends Savage long range set up:
1. Savage 12BVSS in 243, 26", 1.9.25 twist barrel.
2. Leupold M1 LRT 4.5x14x50mm scope.
3. Leupold base and rings.
4. Harris Bi-pod.

Total cost for this long range set up ran around $1750.00 with tax. It's a great long range varmint set up for shots from 100 to 1000 yards.

As mentioned above, his stock Savage 12BVSS rifle has shot many .4"groups. He has currently had a bedding job and a Holland Muzzle brake added to the rifle. The rifle, with these added features, has shot .3" groups at 100 yards and is averaging .4" groups at 100 yards. Remember, these groups were shot using hand loaded ammo. Not bad for putting $320.00 into the rifle.

Wildcat

Anybody know of an after market stock to use with the TR action? Seems that the receiver bolt is forward of other savage actions. I was hoping that the B&C varmint stock would work as I can get it for $73.

Anybody know of an after market stock to use with the TR action? Seems that the receiver bolt is forward of other savage actions. I was hoping that the B&C varmint stock would work as I can get it for $73.
It is my understanding that if the stock is for the new single stack Savage action it will fit, if the stock is for the staggered magazine Savage action it will not fit.
James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts