Best Do It All Shotgun?

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it's not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don't offer that option for their stocks anymore.

What do you shotgun aficionados recommend?

Thanks,

John
A400 Xcel Sporting Black Edition wouldn't trade for anything else..

I bought a 20g Beretta a390 for my wife and then young son several years ago. What pleasure yo shoot!
I have an Beretta 12g Camo Outlander a300. Very utilitarian. My son now shoots it.
Bought a 12g Beretta a400 Xplor with the kick off feature. Has an attractive wood stock.
I tried Benelli shotguns, but the inertial recoil felt much harsher than Beretta's gas system.
I just really like Beretta shotguns.
Maybe you have some friends with different models that you can try out
Good luck.

My choice after years of different shotguns is a Beretta 391 12 gauge 28" with synthetic stock for do all.

I tried a few different pumps and unless I use them often I just can't work it nearly as fast as semi-auto. I also prefer the guns with shim systems to adjust drop and cast.

I prefer the low recoil of gas guns over recoil operated since when target shooting I can go through hundreds of rounds.

IMHO the simplicity and robustness of parts and build of the Beretta is far superior to for instance 1100/1187 or Browning Gold.

I shot my first clean round of skeet with this gun. It hunts ducks and geese every October for 15 years. Lots of clays in the fall before waterfowl. And since the bore and major parts are all chrome plated you can use SS brushes to clean dry and it is super fast and efficient.

My $0.02.

JB

I would go with a new Franchi affinity elite 3 upland. Your choice of 12 or 20. I got both gauges and use them both depending on what I feel like that day mostly. The little 20's are light and soft shooting. The 12's will do it all with authority.....you would love one of these, I am almost sure of it.

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it's not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don't offer that option for their stocks anymore.

Thanks,

John
Beretta xtreme or new Remington Versa Max are worth a long look....Versa Max handles all loads with no changes need to eject 2 3/4"- 3 1/2"

Thanks,

John
Pump or Auto
Myself...I've been shooting a Benelli Nova for 15 years....
I've had many shotguns over the years, pumps and autos, the Benelli is tops.
My .02 cents

I agree with the Benelli people, they make a great gun, but if you only use a shotgun occasionally then you may not want to spend that kinda money.
Last year I bought a Pointer over/under in 28 gauge and got to hunt with it this year. I am really impressed with the way it shoots and looks. If you want a shotgun that will stand up to thousands of rounds then a $1300 gun is your tool, if you want one that will only be used for a little practice and a few bird hunts save some money and go for the pointer.

Don't know about many other brands, but Benelli can be had with shims and spacers to adjust the fit of the butt stock just for you. I have an older M1 and it has been 100% reliable, a pleasure to carry and I have the utmost confidence in it. It won't do 3 1/2" shells, but I don't think that matters for your needs. I have not seen the need for the added recoil and expense of the 3 1/2".

Berretta A300. They do offer wood stocks and for the money it's a great all round shotgun. They list between $680 (black stock) and $950 (deluxe wood) with basic wood and camo models coming in at $800. Mine listed for $850 and I picked it up on sale for $620.

First off, I'm a big Benelli fan and if you can afford one and that's what you want, get one. If your going to shoot 10,000 rounds a year get a Benelli. I was going to. I bought my A300 while saving for a Benelli. I was thinking' I'd use it for a season, dump it and get most my money back. Six years later and unless it breaks beyond repair or the government steals it from me, I'm keeping it.

The A300 is a workhorse. It's never going to be a safe queen. The fit and finish isn't as nice as the A400 or any of the Benelli's,. I'm not saying it's bad, it's not. It's a third to half the cost of the others and if put them side by side you will see the difference.

Unlike some shotguns I've owned or used, the A300 points and swings very naturally. The gas system makes it a pleasure to shoot. Also it's not ammo picky. Since I've owned I've put 3000 rounds though it. Mostly low base Wally World cheap stuff, shooting clays. Not one jam. Not one failure to cycle. It's easy to strip and clean. It looks good in my trucks gun rack.

Bottom line, it's not heirloom quality. Nor will you be embarrassed to be seen with it. It's a good shotgun that does what it's suppose to do. Kill things that fly. For me it checks all the boxes. I'm not the only one too think this. Berretta should be paying, I've sold three A300's just by letting friends and family shoot mine.

One last thing... Whatever you end up getting, make sure to enjoy it.

Thanks,

John
Got a Remington 1100, Remington V3 & a Savage Renegauge. I love them all & nary a bit of trouble, (not even from the 45 year old 1100)! The Renegauge practically aims itself with hardly any recoil!

These replies are all over the place..

If you're going to upland hunt as well as occasional waterfowl you ought to go 20ga.

A 686 silver pigeon 28" 20ga barrels will do everything you want it too, be more than enough for duck, but at the same time you won't have people turn their nose up to you if you show up to a quail shoot with something as ridiculous as a 12ga auto or pump.