Best case trimmer??

I don't know if you guys care or think about this....

I use the 2 main trimmer types: CBTM...case base to mouth and SDTM....shoulder datum to mouth

CBTM yields the best precision because it is cutting that dimension. Generally cutting what you measure is best.

SDTM always has slop due to FL sizing variation.....you can get CBTD nearly perfect and you will still have 0.002" variation.

So for precision rifle, I use the Wilson tool with its CBTM. Variation under 0.001". I FL Size first so I'm on the short end after firing. I also really like their case holder as it holds the case super solid with no pilot. I might even add power some day.

I used the Lyman tool for years then put it away with all the rest of my loading gear, due to work constraints. I have recently retired and have gotten back into precision shooting. Due to three shoulder surgeries, I retired the Lyman tool and went to the RCBS prep center with a trimer. Once set up, I made "master cases" to help quickly set the trimmer up. I find it accurate and much easier on the old man's shoulders and arms. Is it perfect, not perfect but good enough for my applications. I can appreciate those chasing the mythical 5 shots in .000". I've been there and still love small groups. To each his/her own. Use whatever tool you're comfortable with cost wise or application wise.

Lots of good replies here, but since the original question was which trimmer is "best," the Giraud wins by a hefty margin. If you factor in things like cost or shelf space, then other options may become more appealing, but once you get a Giraud set up, you'll wonder how you ever used anything else.

Lots of good replies here, but since the original question was which trimmer is "best," the Giraud wins by a hefty margin. If you factor in things like cost or shelf space, then other options may become more appealing, but once you get a Giraud set up, you'll wonder how you ever used anything else.
I think Giraud is complete overrated, but each to their own i guess.

I had a Lee case trimmer with all the inserts for various calibers and eventually got so disappointed, I threw the **** thing away! It wasn't trimming the cases evenly. I contacted Lee and they sent me another bushing that the trimmer arm rests in. No better. It's just not good enough for precision reloading. What is the consensus for the best, most uniform trimmer you can buy?
Savage is right...you are going to get a bunch of answers but I love the Frankford Arsenal one it have....de- burrs, pocket primer cleaner and trims all in one compact machine and does from 223- 45 cal

I used to be a 100% believer in the Giraud trimmer. It does an excellent job. However short cases like the 221 Fireball, 223 Remington and others it is a pain simply because there isnt a lot of case to hold on to.

The Henderson solves all that.

Just like the Giraud, cutters only have to be purchased for that bullet diameter.

Unlike the Giraud, you only have to buy a few collets to hold onto the rim of the case. Also unlike the Giraud, the depth cutting stop method is dead simple and not even $2 to buy additional ones.

The Henderson also has a variable speed motor.

And you dont have to wear a glove when trimming cases.

You also dont have to push in a case, and then rotate to get an even cut.

I ended up getting the LE Wilson with the Sinclair micrometer earlier this year and have been very happy with it. Having to tap the cases out of the case holder is my only concern with the system, but I have not noticed it causing any significant issues so far.
Another vote for the Wilson ! As to tapping the cases out of the holder, I insert a plastic /wooden dowel through the case mouth bottoming against the inside base. Tap the protruding end to remove the brass from the holder. That way I'm not putting any stress on the case mouth/neck/shoulder .

RCBS trim pro works for me. For volume trimming, I have a few of the crow works trimmers. Excellent for MSR applications.

I used to be a 100% believer in the Giraud trimmer. It does an excellent job. However short cases like the 221 Fireball, 223 Remington and others it is a pain simply because there isnt a lot of case to hold on to.

The Henderson solves all that.

Just like the Giraud, cutters only have to be purchased for that bullet diameter.

Unlike the Giraud, you only have to buy a few collets to hold onto the rim of the case. Also unlike the Giraud, the depth cutting stop method is dead simple and not even $2 to buy additional ones.

The Henderson also has a variable speed motor.

And you dont have to wear a glove when trimming cases.

You also dont have to push in a case, and then rotate to get an even cut.
just started using the henderson 2 weeks ago. i've used about everything. Henderson wins hands down

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.