Best case trimmer??

I use the Lee trimmer with insert for non-precision cases. I used an older RCBS trimmer, and while happy with it, wanted a bit more control, so I picked up a L.E. Wilson Micrometer Trimmer and that is what I now use for my precision reloading.

Watch the little video in this link:

You may not want to try this since it's a LEE product but I think it works well.

If you want the best case trimmer get the Wilson/Sinclair with micrometer adjustment.
Ditto on the Wilson/Sinclair the only one worth buying!

I hope this doesn't expose me for having gross ignorance, and I'm apparently in the minority here, but I must say I've been using the Lee Deluxe Quick Trim for 5-6 years now for all my calibers and have been very satisfied with it, very consistent per my Starrett calipers.
But although I try to make extremely precise reloads, I must admit I am not in the same class as those that are dedicated precision reloaders and my accuracy goals are likely below that of many here as I strive for for and usually achieve 0.5" MOA at 100 yards which I feel is very realistic given I own strictly factory rifles and my budget for reloading equipment is limited. By that I mean no A&D digital scales, 21st Century Concentricity gauges or Redding T7 turret presses in my even distant future and as much as I'd love a Lab Radar my Caldwell chrono will have to due.
IMHO you are spot on using what you have or can afford as you go is the smart way to go as you pursue your reloading goals. I have found that as I refine what I do with what I have, I am making those incremental improvemnts as I go. Also, eBay has been a good source for equipment at prices I can afford. Have fun!

I've been using the Lyman case trimmer express for about a year and have had very good luck with it. It comes with most of the collets you'll need and is easily put away when not in use, saving bench space (which is in short supply for me). I did have to buy a collet for my 338 Lapua, but that was it. This is the unit: https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-smith-case-trim-xpresstm
It can be bought for less than what Lyman is asking on their site.
I also have a Sinclair/Wilson trimmer that I've had for years that is a dead nuts accurate trimmer as well. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one, for the money, they're both a solid value.

L.E. Wilson w/micrometer for all my rifle trimming. Expensive to get set up, but buy once for a lifetime of absolute accurate repeatable case trimming. I don't trim 45 ACP with Wilson trimmer, must use press to put cases in and press back out of holder. Real pain and slow, still use my Lyman for auto pistol cases.

Rcbs trim pro 2 power model. they have a 3 way trimmer that you can get so it trims, chambers and deburs all at same time. I use it for my long range stuff 300PRC,300RUM, 338RUM. The Lee you have problems with is my "go to" for all other brass. And I have the hornady set up for my 45-110 only. I've never had problems with the Lee but maybe the cutter is just worn out and needs replacemen?

I use a 21st Century for bench rest and a Lee set of trimmers for most hunting ammo. I think the Lee gives more than adequate trimming for anything less than bench rest shooting, but find their collets a PIA to tighten and loosen.

I had a Lee case trimmer with all the inserts for various calibers and eventually got so disappointed, I threw the **** thing away! It wasn't trimming the cases evenly. I contacted Lee and they sent me another bushing that the trimmer arm rests in. No better. It's just not good enough for precision reloading. What is the consensus for the best, most uniform trimmer you can buy?
I use this one. Just like he said....precise and repeatable.
The giraud tool co out of Richmond texas makes an excellent trimmer. it comes with one die install. and you can buy extra dira for different Sizes. I used it for my Precison loads for PRS. I also have the primal rights primer tool which is worth the money as well.

You will get a lot of opinions from this post, I use a lyman collet trimmer that comes with most caliber sizes. Its fast and easy to use, mounted on my reloading bench, would recommend it.

I use the Lyman Accutrimmer with great results. I mounted to a small piece of plywood and use clamps to mount to my bench when needed. Works like a charm. Uses your existing shell holders and comes with 90% of the collets you need. It's extremely accurate and consistent. I think I paid $47 for it. I then use my RCBS case prep center to VLD chamfer and debur.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts