Best case trimmer??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ my sentiments also^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have used many trimmers over 25+ years. All, save one, have indexed off the case head. The most precise, by a very small and insignificant margin, has been the Wilson trimmer. My currently used trimmer has been the Giraud and has been so for over 4 years. Most of my shooting these days is long range score shooting and only the smallest shooting rifles will win consistently. My loads with the Wilson were no more precise than the loads using cases trimmed with the shoulder indexing Giraud. Most of the competitors I shoot with that win on a regular basis (regional, state, national events) also use a Giraud. I would say with certainty that if I trimmed 10 cases with each trimmer the Wilson trimmed cases would have less variation but it cannot be seen on target. My benchrest buddies find the same. The take away is use the system that suits your budget and speed requirements; most any system will give the precision required for properly trimmed necks.
Agreed 100%, apples and oranges, They both taste Great, one just goes down faster.

All I saw was the Reloader 26 at first, and thought you were just showing off.
No this is showing off but I am just a small fry I'm sure there are many members that can make me look like an amateur collector
3EFFF0DE-3543-4ABC-8ED8-F760FA518A09.jpeg

I like show and tell. All I see is one blessed, Smart fellow, Congratulations.
Your squirrel powers are strong.
SQUIRREL - A ANIMAL THAT COLLECTS AND STORES FOOD FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Seeing the vast inventory of 338 Dude brings to mind when I was first into reloading as a teenager living at Mom n Dad's. All that explosive stuff in the basement terrified my mother. So, I was only allowed to have 1 ea 1lb can of powder at a time in my reload room ( formerly Dad's Darkroom). Had to have a powder that worked for multi rifles/loads.

Back to trimmers: I bought a Neco Case Gauge about 15 yrs ago off Ebay along with some dies and I can't remember what else. I think the total was $35. Never used it, always used My RCBS which was a present from my kid. After readin' Partiot007 's post 141, have to give it a try.

Last edited:
Weather was crappy outside today so figured I'd do brass prep and got a point of reference for the topic off the Henderson.

Started a stopwatch when I had all the gear out. Did a caliber(length) change from .260 to 6.5 C, measured the first five, ran a batch of 191 cases through mic'd every 10-15 cases, wasn't racing just cruising. Total time was 17:33 FWIW.

Seeing the vast inventory of 338 Dude brings to mind when I was first into reloading as a teenager living at Mom n Dad's. All that explosive stuff in the basement terrified my mother. So, I was only allowed to have 1 ea 1lb can of powder at a time in my reload room ( formerly Dad's Darkroom). Had to have a powder that worked for multi rifles/loads.

Back to trimmers: I bought a Neco Case Gauge about 15 yrs ago off Ebay along with some dies and I can't remember what else. I think the total was $35. Never used it, always used My RCBS which was a present from my kid. After readin' Partiot007 's post 141, have to give it a try.
Yes I was out today and looked at a few fireproof storage cabinets to put my powder in I think it's probably at this point just a good idea

Once you get over the learning curve of the set up, it's all down hill. There are several ways you can set it up to measure over bullet run out. The way I have it set up in the pic's below is how I prefer it, to measure my over all bullet run out.,,, When measuring over all bullet run out. I prefer that the bullet tip free floats, and not sitting in a cone or saddle when checking run out.,,, Ball bearing Blocks are nice on some of these Concentricity Gauges but for extreme accuracy you just can not beat the V-Blocks. Tip, The OOOO steel wool cleaning, "SPINNING" in the drill, makes your cases spin like butter. That means less noise, "CHATTER" on the dial gauge and a more clean and accurate reading.
The bottom pic is my set up for checking case neck run out, and some other cones and anvils. Tip, Be sure to deburr your flash wholes. If there is a burr, it will cause an erratic reading and the case will move back and forth on the V-BLOCKS. Tip, you have to really get your fingers use to spinning the case, and that's where you really have to practice your spinning of the case. If you get frustrated, the dial gauge will measure your hart beat also. LOL.
Also,, My Neco is the 50BMG model, It has a bigger carriage than the older style. My FIL has the older model, it has a smaller carriage and he had to order the second V-BLOCK. I hope this Helps in your set up, just look at the pics down below. If I can help, You know where to find me. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

NecoOverallBulletRunOutDale1224202001.jpg
NecoCaseNeckRunOutDale1224202001.jpg

Once you get over the learning curve of the set up, it's all down hill. There are several ways you can set it up to measure over bullet run out. The way I have it set up in the pic's below is how I prefer it, to measure my over all bullet run out.,,, When measuring over all bullet run out. I prefer that the bullet tip free floats, and not sitting in a cone or saddle when checking run out.,,, Ball bearing Blocks are nice on some of these Concentricity Gauges but for extreme accuracy you just can not beat the V-Blocks. Tip, The OOOO steel wool cleaning, "SPINNING" in the drill, makes your cases spin like butter. That means less noise, "CHATTER" on the dial gauge and a more clean and accurate reading.
The bottom pic is my set up for checking case neck run out, and some other cones and anvils. Tip, Be sure to deburr your flash wholes. If there is a burr, it will cause an erratic reading and the case will move back and forth on the V-BLOCKS. Tip, you have to really get your fingers use to spinning the case, and that's where you really have to practice your spinning of the case. If you get frustrated, the dial gauge will measure your hart beat also. LOL.
Also,, My Neco is the 50BMG model, It has a bigger carriage than the older style. My FIL has the older model, it has a smaller carriage and he had to order the second V-BLOCK. I hope this Helps in your set up, just look at the pics down below. If I can help, You know where to find me. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

View attachment 235972View attachment 235973
Ok Patriot007, thanks, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Back to trimming:
what set up do you use with your drill to spin the cases ?

Ok Patriot007, thanks, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Back to trimming:
what set up do you use with your drill to spin the cases ?
And A Merry Christmas to You and Yours also. This is a pretty quick and straight forward process. You will need a drill of your choice and a case holder and attachment for the drill. "I use the K&M drill attachment for my Neck turner." 0000 steel wool, and I use my RCBS Trim Mate Prep Center to clean the primer pockets and clean the inside of the case neck, and blow it out with 100psi compressed Air.,,, Do this AFTER Annealing, It will cut down on the Chatter on the dial gauge, shaving off a couple of hundred thousandths on your readings. Also, the brass spins on the V-Blocks like butter, if you have a concentricity gauge that has Ball Bearings, It will glide like butter also. Try it.
DISCLAIMER: "Do NOT, Steel Wool your BULLETS"
Well in a nut shell, This is how I do it on my OCD Bench. I hope it helps. Merry Christmas.
CaseCleanProcDal1225202001.jpg
CaseCleanProcDal1225202002.jpg
CaseCleanProcDal1225202003.jpg
CaseCleanProcDal1225202004.jpg
CaseCleanProcDal1225202005.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.