Best case trimmer??

I had a Lee case trimmer with all the inserts for various calibers and eventually got so disappointed, I threw the **** thing away! It wasn't trimming the cases evenly. I contacted Lee and they sent me another bushing that the trimmer arm rests in. No better. It's just not good enough for precision reloading. What is the consensus for the best, most uniform trimmer you can buy?
I've used a Wilson since 1976 and never had any problems with it. Never changed anything except adding the micro adjustment when it became available.

I believe the Little Crow Gunworks trimmers index off the shoulder also. But those are mostly caliber-specific, and I only use them for high volume 223 and 300 Blackout work.

For precision work, I'd vote the LE Wilson system. I'll be voting that way with my wallet when the time comes. I figure you can be fast or accurate, but not BOTH without spending a mountain of money. So I'll settle for accurate and a pile instead. My LCG trimmers are fast and a pile each, not so sure on the accurate part. Enough for blaster ammo.
Thank you for your welcome insight!

I had a Lee case trimmer with all the inserts for various calibers and eventually got so disappointed, I threw the **** thing away! It wasn't trimming the cases evenly. I contacted Lee and they sent me another bushing that the trimmer arm rests in. No better. It's just not good enough for precision reloading. What is the consensus for the best, most uniform trimmer you can buy?
I use the lyman case prep center and install the cartrage specific lee case length gauge into one of the rotating ports. It is fast, super easy and gets the exact length every time.

About eight months ago I purchased the Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim X- Press Tool
The reason that I purchased this motorized case trimmer is that it trims cases locating off the shoulder instead of the cartridge case length. This ensures that each case will be uniform in length providing you do your part. ( unless I'm mistaken this is the only case trimmer that locates brass from the cases shoulder which will yield similar results from case to case )
Did I mention that this unit is motorized ! Oh yeah I did already. Am I bad?

Additionally I also own two more Lyman Universal Cases Trimmers which work very well but are slower to process brass shell cases with.( changing mandrels out and setting up for the correct depth of cut, is time consuming in my book)

The unit comes complete with supplied bushings to trim all but the most custom of calibers.( can even trim them if the parent case bushing is supplied with this case trimmer)
Additionally it is supplied with a plastic shroud that when rotated will ketch any and all of your brass shell case shavings making clean up very easy.

This is nice because there are no hidden extra charges for bushings ,cutters or collets!

Unit is supplied with a set of carbide cutters that will last a lifetime and has one of the smallest footprints on any power case trimmer allowing it to sit almost anywhere you have a little room to spare.

This unit also has a variable speed control which allows you to get a nice smooth and square face to your trimmed brass.

You can average a trimmed case between every five - seven seconds which makes your case trimming a snap.

Just check out the videos on the internet and you'll agree!
Food for thought!

I know that there are many case trimmer models and brands to choose from and they all will work providing you put in the effort, however some will function a little easier and smoother than others.

So in the end I suggest that you choose wisely, making a sound decision based on your particular needs!
I did not mention that this case trimmer will only work on bottle neck cartridges because of the required shoulder.
Straight walled cases like the famous 45 - 70 can not be trimmed using this case trimmer. Instead you must use a case trimmer much like the Lyman Universal or a similar style

IMHO a trimmer that indexes on the shoulder will give you the best results. The case length from base to shoulder will vary from case to case.

IMHO a trimmer that indexes on the shoulder will give you the best results. The case length from base to shoulder will vary from case to case.
My Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate SS Micro trimer says Your answer is wrong.. In both applications it would require your head space to be exact in a sample group of cases. "FLS or fireformed and shoulder bumped back, Collet and expanded." The only time I find an issue, is with brass from "some" auto's or semi auto rifles AR-15/AR-10 where the base has really taken a beating from multiple firings and reloads. They require a little lite file work to the base and every thing is back in check. I'm sorry if I'm coming off strong but I'm sure the guys using the Girard's are prepping their brass and sorting "Head Stamp" before they trim their brass. I could be wrong on that issue because I don't own one. I will say it like this. As long as my brass is prepped the same, and bases are in spec, and I don't screw up. Every case comes out the same. I measure every one of them so, I know their the same. I ASSUME nothing.
In either case, shoulder or base, the trim is only going to be as good as the prep work put in to it. My little trimmer may not be any where near as fast as the stated. But it's dead up accurate and repeatable 99.9% of the time provided I did not make a mistake some where in the brass prepping.
** The case length from base to shoulder will vary from case to case.** That's true in every case. As long as the Base, Case Body, Shoulder Head Space are Set to The Same Specs, case to case. Why should I care about any thing else. I'm Trimming on the BUSINESS end of the case, as long as that case comes out 1.911 on every case. I'm happy.
JM2C and Opinions do vary on this subject. I say, what works best for you is always the best method at hand. The test will take place down range on the target.

This thread is brutal.....can someone kill it? Is there really this much to be said about case trimming?
:) Let's see, if the cases are to long, you run into high pressure. To short,, groups open up big time.,,, Not trimmed to the same length in stated group,, equals bullets all over the target. The main thing is,, if your cases necks are out of spec from case to case, it equals different seating pressures from cases to case. Which in turn, means your groups will suck on POI. SO, I WOULD SAY, TRIMMING IS A BIG DEAL. I can't say enough about trimming, turning and annealing, case prep is the foundation of your loaded ammo. Don't cheat your self out of that hole in hole shot. I want every bullet to hit in the same hole every shot. That my friend, can be brutal if my cases are not consistently trimmed. I might as well stayed home that day and not wasted my ammo, In my book, there's NEVER enough said about case trimming. .,,, But to each his own.

Last edited:
:) Let's see, if the cases are to long, you run into high pressure. To short,, groups open up big time.,,, Not trimmed to the same length in stated group,, equals bullets all over the target. The main thing is,, if your cases necks are out of spec from case to case, it equals different seating pressures from cases to case. Which in turn, means your groups will suck on POI. SO, I WOULD SAY, TRIMMING IS A BIG DEAL. I can't say enough about trimming, turning and annealing, case prep is the foundation of your loaded ammo. Don't cheat your self out of that hole in hole shot. I want every bullet to hit in the same hole every shot. That my friend, can be brutal if my cases are not consistently trimmed. I might as well stayed home that day and not wasted my ammo, In my book, there's NEVER enough said about case trimming. .,,, But to each his own.
I whole heartily concur with your post!

Wait until he gets a case neck stuck in the chamber and pulls the locking lugs on the bolt off or pull the casehead off!
I want pics of bolt locking lugs pulled off.....can I do that by hand? I must not work out enough!

To short,, groups open up big time.,,, Not trimmed to the same length in stated group,, equals bullets all over the target. The main thing is,, if your cases necks are out of spec from case to case, it equals different seating pressures from cases to case. Which in turn, means your groups will suck on POI. SO, I WOULD SAY, TRIMMING IS A BIG DEAL.
Got any data on that? Pressures do go up pinching the bullet, but I thought BR guys basically proved it has no impact as long as there is some neck and it is not so long as to pinch in the throat that likely wouldn't chamber. Not to mention, I think it is normal for chamber necks to be over cut 0.010"-0.020" too long.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.