Best Bigbore brake

Cheep Is Ok as long as you don't expect much. You can buy a $50.00 brake that will reduce recoil by 30% and that's quite a bit. (You get what you pay for). you should spend at least $150.00+ dollars if you want more recoil reduction.

A top quality brake will normally reduce recoil by 45 to 55% . A few will exceed 55%.

One other thing, A cheep poorly designed and installed brake can hurt accuracy, A well designed
and installed brake won't effect accuracy and sometimes It will improve the accuracy and shooter comfort.

J E CUSTOM

Ok, seeing as the PSR tests show only TWO brakes hitting 45% reduction out of all tested in various calibers, just where are the "proven 55% brakes"?

Looks like a lot of people are not getting what they pay for as most of the high dollar brakes are not what they claim and simple unsubstantiated marketing hype!

If you know of a 55% reduction brake, send it or the name to he testers and let's see.

Getting started with a 338WM. First big bore (>300 mag) for me. What brake do I want? I am a value guy (ie cheap Scotsman) shooting a 20" bbl Savage hog hunter to be used mostly in the field, if that matters.

Thanks.

Is it .338 WM or .338 Federal? IIRC, it's .338 Federal and it's already threaded for muzzle brake. If that is the case, IIWY, I'd keep it simple and go with Home Page or his friend Ross Schuler that he provides the link (Ross's page). With what you need, you could be out shooting in no time for under $50 ... just saying. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

I have a .338 Win Mag with a custom muzzle brake similar to Holland's QD and Ross Schuler's that the felt recoil is similar to that of a .308 Win pushing 225 grainers.

As you can see, YMMV with many recommendations --- you can make this as simple or as complicated as you want.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting!

Ed

Ok, seeing as the PSR tests show only TWO brakes hitting 45% reduction out of all tested in various calibers, just where are the "proven 55% brakes"?

Looks like a lot of people are not getting what they pay for as most of the high dollar brakes are not what they claim and simple unsubstantiated marketing hype!

If you know of a 55% reduction brake, send it or the name to he testers and let's see.

I went through all of this when I started looking to see if I could re design a better muzzle brake
and got frustrated at the claims of some manufactures. there were a few that actually came very close to there claims but most were ridiculous because there was just enough gas generated recoil.
(Every cartridge has two kinds of recoil, gas recoil and inertial recoil from the bullet being pushed down the barrel. Inertial recoil can only be changed by adding or subtracting weigh to the bullet
or rifle or changing the velocity.

A muzzle brake cannot address inertial recoil, Only gas recoil.

My intentions were to try and improve the muzzle brake by design. If I couldn't, I planed to continue
using the best brakes I could find.

The other problem I found was there was no good accurate way of testing to get good recoil numbers. most were perceived recoil or calculated and there was no good way to compare
(Measure)recoil against other brakes or the calculated recoil with a fully dressed rifle ready to hunt.

We looked at 8 different methods of comparing recoil from one brake to another most would not repeat or could not accurately measure recoil.

I am just a tinkerer, and when I get off into something I have to start from scratch and read everything I can on the theory and go from there. I try not to listen to hear say or my own preconceived theories or thoughts and let the test verify or nullify the results.

The equipment we designed would hopefully end up being very accurate or we wouldn't use it. And and based on many test, the recoil device has proven to be within less than 1 ft/lb (It is slightly
higher) so our numbers are conservative.

Our test were conducted and as many brakes as we could get were used to get the results without targeting any brand, serving no purpose. We tested brakes from the cheapest to the most expensive and ended up with Video of all test to verify the comparisons and used like ammo for all test comparisons.

We also did DB sound test and comparisons to prove or dis prove there was such a thing as a "Quite'' brake. THERE WASEN'T . Through impartial testing we shattered many of my beliefs as well as other "known" rules and theories. I don't claim to be an expert on muzzle brakes but I have learned lots about them and I am still learning and trying to squeeze every ounce of recoil out of a brake so shooting hard recoiling rifles or pistols will not be as painful and improve the sport we love.

I am not in the business of making brakes to sell so I have no dog in the hunt. I have made a few for my friends and continue to test for design improvements. (Not all changes have been successful)
But we learned from the subtle changes)so all is good.

For those that are interested in watching the Videos I have posted a link

www.jecustom.com - Home of the Assassin Muzzle Brake.

There are 8 Videos at present on different test That can help with the selection of a muzzle brake.
There are many good brakes and even the poorest can/will help reduce recoil.

Sorry for being long winded but hopefully it will help.

J E CUSTOM

lots of good brakes out there, I personally not skimp on the quality of the brake. But I think the quality of the installation is more important than the brake itself. A bad installation job can cause poor accuracy and that's just not worth saving a few bucks.

My vote would go out to Terminator Products. Their Terminator series brakes are the only ones I can think of that could possibly push over 50% recoil reduction. And as for PrecisionRifleBlog's muzzle brake tests...Kiwi Greg, weren't your brakes left out at the request of APA?

To this point I haven't seen anyone "test" the Assassin against their brakes. Until I see repeatable video proof that all brakes mentioned are BETTER than the Assassin, I will then believe there indeed IS something better. Until then, I will be purchasing Assassin brakes.

Just my 2 cents...

Jayson

Greg has done testing on various brakes. Check his channel (TerminatorProducts) on YouTube. The only one that consistently comes close to his designs are Kirby's Painkiller brakes... I'd love to see the Assassin brake thrown into the mix though!

Interesting that the brakes that claimed 70% reduction actually did the poorest and only had a real world 13-20% reduction.

A little digging shows that this is huge team effort and not one guy. The team includes a sponsor or two from here, major defense contractors and other professionals that do this for a living.

Also what is interesting is that they start with real measurements from starting recoil to final and not "calculated" like you see a lot of. This is not a marketing video or hype, but real world scientific tests with actual metrics.

I would love them to do a phase 2 and add the other brakes people want and the manufacturers can email Cal Zant and offer to send him one or two for testing.

I personally have always like the big Holland Radial and it did very well in the tests but not the top one.

Interesting that the brakes that claimed 70% reduction actually did the poorest and only had a real world 13-20% reduction.

A little digging shows that this is huge team effort and not one guy. The team includes a sponsor or two from here, major defense contractors and other professionals that do this for a living.

Also what is interesting is that they start with real measurements from starting recoil to final and not "calculated" like you see a lot of. This is not a marketing video or hype, but real world scientific tests with actual metrics.

I would love them to do a phase 2 and add the other brakes people want and the manufacturers can email Cal Zant and offer to send him one or two for testing.

I personally have always like the big Holland Radial and it did very well in the tests but not the top one.

Sorry BH I have to disagree with you on this one.

I will try to address each point so at least everyone will see the other side of this debate.

First= As I said some claims of percent reduction were impossible. That's why we did the testing that we did to try and sort out the bull and end up with the bacon.

My friends and I are not defense contractors or some big manufacture that needs the hype or the money. We just wanted to try and improve on something if we could for the sport.

As far as the research before we started, we use the research done by Julian S Hatcher Major General that had a very interesting career and probably has more experience with firearms and
other things related to fire arms than anyone on this site. Some of his credits are, Olympic committee, director of the NRA 1922 to 1946, Distinguished pistol shot, Winner Webley & Scott pistol Trophy, Captain US International Rifle Team, Officer in charge Experiential Department at Springfield Armory, and the list goes on and on. he also did testing on muzzle brake design for the military that has proven to be invaluable for our understanding of how a muzzle brake really works
and what effect each element has on recoil reduction.

As far as real measurements. you have to start with a calculated recoil value and then prove that it is accurate before you can start testing new designs or it has no validity. If you watch the videos that we made we started with a calculated recoil value then went to a tested recoil value to prove that we were starting at the beginning. after we found that if the test data was used we could predict recoil without a brake to less than 1 ft/lbs ( The range was/is from .6 to .9 ft/lbs) and interestingly enough the test machine has a 1 ft/lb preload to hold the rifle in battery. so the readings are much more accurate than any other test that is at present being used (One of the best I have seen and studied is on average 4 to 5% within the actual recoil value. so I am obviously very pleased with our test platform.

And as I have said in all the videos, we did not target any brand or style but we did test many more brakes that were just too identifiable so they were not shone for the same reason they are good brakes and ranged from 35% and up. I will say that of all the brakes we tested the best factory produced muzzle was the Weather Accubrake that claimed 53% reduction and was spot on.
The only other muzzle brake that met the advertised recoil reduction was the Vais. the best ported brakes was in order of recoil reduction was the 1=Muscle brake 2= painkiller and 3= the Holland. All were top performers and I would still be using them if My brake was not better at reducing recoil. like I have said many times. PS the only reason mine is any better is because armed with all of the theory from Hatcher I can tune the Assassin to squeeze the most out of any cartridge because of the design.

I have already said more than I wanted to because I did not want to mention any names. but I did try to buy as many muzzle brakes as possible and even offered to take anyone's existing brake and test it against the Assassin and then send the results on video to see for themselves how well there brake reduced recoil.

PS: I have never tested a brake that was so poor as to reduce recoil by only 13 to 20% and this is the kind of claims that started all of this and the reason that I don't believe anything that I hear and only 50% of what I see. Only what I can prove gets 99%.

The offer stills stands that anyone that has a muzzle brake that they want a fair and impartial comparison/ recoil reduction test send it to me and If it out performs my brake I will show it on video for all to see.

I learn something every day on this site because I listen to others and I just hope this has helped
some people and realize that some people just wont listen when someone comes up with something better that might improve the sport.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, But I thought It would clear up the accusations at least.

J E CUSTOM

JE

No accusations, but interesting it seems that all the internet claims of high recoil reduction on the "brakes tested so far" are not proving out by a team of people that are from here and experts in the field that do it for a living with very sophisticated equipment.

Like I said, I would love to see a phase two so if you or anyone else has the "super" brake send it to them and lets see where it falls out. I did not even realize you were selling brakes until this last post.

If anyone really has a 70% reduction recoil brake, this test would prove it and they could corner the market literally as the highest so far is 46% or 47%.

Also, like it or not, it is probably going to be the standard test for a long time vs a self proclaiming marketing video which is the norm now. Nothing personal just fact.

Everyone should take a moment and read the link below on the study issues, methodology and equipment and see why this is this will probably be the standard for awhile.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/01/muzzle-brakes-recoil-primer-test-equipment-rifles/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.