Best 7 PRC Bullet?

Bergerblaster

Getting close to completing my 7 PRC build and starting to gather some reloading components. Just received my Peterson Brass and I picked up some Staball HD. What bullet would you suggest that will give me the best accuracy but also serve as a hunting round? I have always shot Berger, but wondering if I should try Hornady ELD-X or ELD-M bullets. My barrel is a 24" Proof Pre fit. Thank you!

Nothing on the market has the consistency of a Berger and therefore generally speaking can outshoot Bergers. Having said that there is no guarantee your rifle won't prefer a different bullet. I love Berger and love 7s but have never been blown away with Berger 180s terminal performance. I have never been able to get 175 elds to shoot accurately and have never killed game with 180 elds. Everything I have shot with 168 VLDs has been DRT but I don't love the idea of shooting smaller bullets. I would say if you have a favorite bullet stick with it unless you just want to try another.

Thank you sir! I have always shot Berger 168 VLD hunting bullets. I think the advantage of the PRC is being able to go a little heavier though. I don't have any experience with the Berger 180's, or really any other bullet.

I have heard great things about terminal performance of the ELD-M. But I have also heard of Hornady bullets blowing up in flight, so have been hesitant to try them. Not sure if them blowing up is still an issue or not?

I'd never trust a 180 eldm on game. I had one loose it's jacket it flight and I won't trust them ever . Lots of guys have good luck with them but once for me is one to many.
When was this? I've heard of a few cases of them blowing up, but they all seem to be older reports. I believe they've "fixed" the issue.

Also curious your speed and twist rate.

Bullets not going to blow up in flight unless the twist rate is way off. The eldm's flat out kill stuff.
Actually !! Yeah they do. It was in a 8 twist just a hair over 3000 fps.
07C6BECD-4D9F-49CD-923E-F5813C13AE10.jpeg

Last edited:
When was this? I've heard of a few cases of them blowing up, but they all seem to be older reports. I believe they've "fixed" the issue.

Also curious your speed and twist rate.
Was an older box and yes I was told it's been fixed but like I said I don't think I can trust them and I've never had a issue ever with Berger.

Recent Posts