Daegon

So here goes, I got a 243 win from my grandfather thats an old FNH with a 1:10" twist. I'd like to go as heavy as I can and shoot stable. I will be shooting between 3500-4500' above sea level so I know that comes into play a bit. I've heard mixed feelings on the 105 hybrids and VLDs in a 1:10" twist and I've heard you can get away with the 95 gr. VLDs but don't know if that is true. Berger also makes a 95 classic hunter that will shoot in a 1:10" twist but the BC isn't as high and haven't heard anything about them. My dad has shoots the 215 hybrids in his 300 RUM and really likes them but I'm not opposed for shooting VLDs. Any help would be appreciated so I don't have to buy a million different bullet weights/types; and I don't have any particular powders picked since I want my bullet picked first and go from there. Thanks ahead of time!

You can try the 95gr but probably wasting your money and time unless they are the classic hunters.
If your stuck on shooting bergers just get the 87 gr vldh . They shoot awesome in a 10 twist.

have you tried the classic hunters out? I'm interested in them cuz they are the hybrid ogive and are a little more forgiving on seating depth

I run the 95gr Berger VLD hunting in my Howa 1:10 24"
i use Norma brass and 42.5gr of AR2209 (Australian Powder) which is a 4350 equivalent.
Havent really tried these with game, but they stabilize well and groups at about 0.3" at 100yrds and i shoot it out to 1000yrds no problem.

Hope this helps.

If your stuck on shooting bergers just get the 87 gr vldh . They shoot awesome in a 10 twist

+1!!
I'm doing load development right now on a custom .243 (1-9 twist) using Berger 87gr vld's, H4350, Lapua brass and Federal 210M primers. I followed Berger's seating depth test recommendations and quickly found the optimum depth for my rifle at .015 off the lands. The 87's have shot amazingly well for me as some of my best groups EVER have recently come from this rifle. Give those 87's a try in your 1-10" twist (do a seating depth test) and I'd be surprised if you were disappointed.

morning, 95gr. berger vld. 4831sc, 210 fed. primer
Winchester brass. I shoot this load in my243AI
and 6mmAI. very accurate. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.