berger vs accubonds 300rum

outdooraddict

I am pondering which to use for elk and deer out of my 300 rum both shot great my only concearn is the thinner jacket on the bergers for elk. I am using berger 210's and accubond 200's. As always thanks a ton for all of your help and knowledge.

Up for the task

My choice would be the AB. In a close range high voloicity impact into a hard shoulder bone, not sure berger would be up to the task. Broadside thru the ribs, both will do the job.
ddgo

I have a hard time believing that a 210 grain bullet out of a 300 RUM would have any problems destroying that shoulder up close. In the neighborhood of 4000ft/lbs up to 100 yards... I just can't wrap my mind around that not doing the job. Just my opinion.

I plan on playing with them (bergers) in the next couple months - Maybe I'll have some first hand results this fall :)

Don't forget about the 210 SMK--very similar to the 210 Berger but with a heavier jacket. I might be using them for deer next season but haven't yet so I can't comment on their performance. I think the Berger is probably better for deer but they won't hold together in my 1:9 twist.

That said, the 200 AB is a wonderful all around bullet. It will hold together and penetrate better but it does get beat ballistically at long range by the other two. I guess it depends on what you think is more important to your particular situation.

Just my opinion

I have a hard time believing that a 210 grain bullet out of a 300 RUM would have any problems destroying that shoulder up close. In the neighborhood of 4000ft/lbs up to 100 yards... I just can't wrap my mind around that not doing the job. Just my opinion.

I plan on playing with them (bergers) in the next couple months - Maybe I'll have some first hand results this fall :)
I am not sure that either bullet is ready for a close encounter with the ball joint of a mature bull elk. We drew the Nevada Non resident sheep tag this year and my son used my 300 ultra with ABs on the sheep. Shot it at 80 yds in the shoulder and left a fist size entry wound with no exit. The bullet did make it to the off side ribs, but did not go thru the off side ribs.
I outfitted Aoudad sheep hunts in Texas, and my "loaner" gun is a Hart barrelled 300 win mag. We shot 175gr Berger VLDs in it for one season and had mixed results. At longer distances (400 and out) they worked well. but had some penetration problems with the closer ranges.
Aoudad sheep are extreamly tough animals, but a big one will live weight 325lbs. Less than half of a mature bull elk. I personally would like to have something a little harder than a AB, and I hear that Trophy Bonded is coming with a poly tip boat tail, with a high BC. Now we might be getting somewhere.
Just my opinon
ddgo

I am not sure that either bullet is ready for a close encounter with the ball joint of a mature bull elk. We drew the Nevada Non resident sheep tag this year and my son used my 300 ultra with ABs on the sheep. Shot it at 80 yds in the shoulder and left a fist size entry wound with no exit. The bullet did make it to the off side ribs, but did not go thru the off side ribs.
I outfitted Aoudad sheep hunts in Texas, and my "loaner" gun is a Hart barrelled 300 win mag. We shot 175gr Berger VLDs in it for one season and had mixed results. At longer distances (400 and out) they worked well. but had some penetration problems with the closer ranges.
Aoudad sheep are extreamly tough animals, but a big one will live weight 325lbs. Less than half of a mature bull elk. I personally would like to have something a little harder than a AB, and I hear that Trophy Bonded is coming with a poly tip boat tail, with a high BC. Now we might be getting somewhere.
Just my opinon
ddgo

That's crazy. I would have bet a lot of money that bullet would have gone thru that sheep. When you say you had penetration problems, how far were the bergers penetrating? That poly tip TB sounds interesting. Thanks

That's crazy. I would have bet a lot of money that bullet would have gone thru that sheep. When you say you had penetration problems, how far were the bergers penetrating? That poly tip TB sounds interesting. Thanks
Most of the close range Aoudad encounters (less than 400yds) would not have an exit. Aoudad's have a course hair that is always full of dirt from their daily dust bath. With no exit, blood trails were almost never there.
If the bergers entered one shoulder and broke it, then it would only make it to the inside of the off shoulder with only a small percentage of weight left. Aoudad's are built like brick houses, and their heart and lungs are well forward in the chest cavitity, protected by the foreleg and shoulder. It takes a heck of a bullet to shoot thru one.
I don't intend to bash bergers or AB's I shoot both in some of my longrange guns. They are accurate and deadly, but both lack a little in penetration.
We shot several rams with 180gr old Scirocco's in both the 300um and 300 Jarrett. and they worked pretty well. I understand now that the Scirocco II's are built on a little tougher jacket. I do know that they list the BC for the sciricco as the same as the Nosler, but in several guns that I have, the downrange drop was always less with the Sciricco's. Usually by 3 clks past the 400 yd mark. I called them and ask them if they were sure about the BC on the 30 cal bullets and they said yes. When I told them that across the board on the 30 cal bullets we were seeing about 3/4 min less drop than bullets with equal BC. She told me that I was not the only person that had said that, but could not explain it. A friend of mine shoots a Hart barrel 7 ultra with a 28" barrel and he found the same to be true with his gun when shooting the Sciricco's.
Sorry about drifting off the Berger AB trail with my Sciricco experience.
And maybe Trophy bonded will come on with their poly tip boat tail bearclaw. And we can have something else to hash over.
Thanks for your time
ddgo

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.