300RUM berger VLD & accubonds ????

bigrack10

They say the berger VLD bullets needs to touch the rifling to be accurate, Can they be seated long enough in a factory 700 rem action to reach the rifling? I just bought a 300rum and going to try some 180 - 200 accubonds and maybe the berger VLD 185 or 190s. I will be using this gun for elk mostly and if anyone wants to share any loads or comments for these bullets would also be a real help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks Guys

Re: berger bullets ???

I couldn't get mine anywhere near the lands in my 6mm, but they shot like a champ anyway. I'd still buy some, they may fit... they may not. But, you can seat them to fit in the mag then play with the seating depth and I bet you can still get them to shoot well.

Neither of them will fit in the magazine if loaded to touch the lands. My 210's shot great at 3.8" OAL. My 200g AB were loaded to fit the mag at 3.660" and still shot very well. 95g retumbo or 92g h1000 w/the 200g AB was great for my rem 700 LSS.

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought a 300rum and going to try some 180 - 200 accubonds and maybe the berger VLD 185 or 190s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skip the 180 ab and the 180-190 Bergers. If you want a longrange hammer go w/the 200 ab or the 210 berger.

I was able to get the 180 AB's to shoot well in mine although I did not try the 200's. I found one that worked so well that I didn't get there. I took an elk this past fall with it and the performance was very good. I don't have the recipe handy here but it was using Retumbo and I seated them so they just worked in the magazine. I did not have very good luck with the Partitions grouping well for me. I do have a recipe for a whitetail/mule deer load using a 165 gr. Nosler BT that shoots really good as well.

I have a Rem 700 as a lefty LSS with a Vais brake and a recoil pad topped with a Nikon scope and it is a joy to shoot. You will like the RUM. Good luck.
1kstr

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.