Accubond or berger VLD ammunition?

buckand bull

Hello All, curious what everyone reccomends for a 300 win mag in 180 grain bullet for deer, elk and bear the berger 185 gr or nosler accubond 180 gr?

Appreciate any info!

Thankslightbulb

Do you reload. If yes, then choose which ever shoots the best, if not then you will likely have more options to see if the accubond will shoot well as there are more factory loadings. Accubonds seem less seating depth sensitive also, which works better if you don't reload.

Recently used a 225 grain Accubond in a 338 RUM to take a black bear and the bullet did a great job. I took a head-on shot and placed the bullet in the center of the chest and found it just under the hide between the bears hindquarters (shot was slightly up hill). The bear went straight down with absolutely no kicking or rolling around. It was probably one of the most devastating kills I have seen. The bullet made a perfect mushroom and retained 49% of its weight. I was a little bit disappointed it didn't retain closer to 60-70% but it **** sure did what I wanted it to. The bullet also grouped very well from the bench in this gun.

:)Thanks for all the info guys!! I dont reload but plan to one of these days, I hust dont want to spend a few hunfred dollars to try both ammunition. I have been using the hornady superformence 180 gr sst and I shot a antelope right behind the shoulder 2 weeks ago that basicaly exploded on impact and he still ran 100 yards. I didnt like that and I know deer, elk, bear our bigger animals so that probably wouldnt happen but I still am not impressed by them. I have heard the accubonds are deadly and usualy retain their weight as well as the berger. So I want to buy a few boxes of either one not cheap of course and use one for the range and one for hunting this winter on deer and bear. Anyways thanks for all the help this site is the best!!

I was thinking of trying the accubonds 180 gr ammo for this year and see how they do.

Last year used the Accubond bullet on a elk went down on the first
shot. Did a fast second to bind the kill.....
This was with a 180gr in an 06 at 2770 fps was unable to recover the
bullets......Would hunt with them again but the sporting goods store was out
went back to sierra this year.........Luck on your hunt.......

I have no personal experience with Berger bullets, however I can say that I have some trusted L/R Buddies that swear by them (all hand loaded of course). Plus I can say after seeing how the Berger guys handled the long anticipated 300 gr .338 bullet, that they are a stand up bunch of guys. They admit when they're wrong, & make it right. Something you just don't see these days. I would try them out based on the honesty & integrity of thier guys alone if I ever wanted a fragnible bullet. Many of thier guys are L/R/H members. But I'm a bonded bullet fan.
My personal hunting style & Nosler Accubonds go hand in hand. I wouldn't dream of changing to another bullet in the rifles I currently own, for thier intended use, & range. I'm a huge Nosler fan anyway, & they're only 15 min from my house.

You can't go wrong with either one. Both are reputable. Both are proven, & both have thier diehard fans.
Decide what you want in a bullet for its intended use, range, & target, then pick one based on those qualitys.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.