berger vs ABLR

deer, elk and beer out to 1200yds

I hope you're not planning on shooting elk that far with a 7mm, you're asking for trouble if you do

Elk is much easier than beer. 😇

Here we go!

L;)L!

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Like many of you I have used Berger Hunting VLD with mixed results in my 7 mag. I changed to Nolser 175 ABLR a couple of years ago. I'm impressed with the bullet. I have killed two elk with them. One at 570 yards and the other at 480. One passed through the other lodged in the opposite hide nicely expanded. There was lots of damage to the lungs in between. I have also found that they like a LONG jump to the lands (.140") In my 7mm mag the 175 was going 2890 FPS. Accuracy was good, 3/4" MOA, from a factory Remington.

Run the ballistics numbers. ABLY says minimum impact fps for expansion is 1800 fps.

I've had bang flop cow elk with exit about half dollar size 7mm 180g Berger VLD @ impact velocity of 2200 fps

I've killed a bull elk (489 yards) and a mule deer (366 yards) with a 168 Berger HVLD in my 7mm RM. The elk was a complete pass thru, bullet went in behind shoulder but I needed to finish him at 539 yards. The deer was DRT. Last year I killed two bull elk (150 and 250 yards) with my 6.5 GAP and 156 Bergers at 2850 fps, both were bang flops. I've never been able to get Long Range Accubonds to group in any of my rifles (270 WSM and 280 AI) and I'm a big Partition fan.

I use the HVLD 140 gr in my 6.5 Sherman Shortmag. It was the most accurate by far. And bullet placement is more important than the slight differences in terminal performance between the 2 bullets mentioned. I Hunt HEAVY Canadian Whitetail and Mule deer here in Alberta. Knowing where to shoot to take advantage of the energy that that VLD's dump into the animal and causes that hydrostatic shock has been key to dropping big bodied deer on the spot.

I find great success with the Bergers with narrow bodies and thin skin animals. I find great success in thicker bodied, thicker skinned, heavier boned animals with a more weight retaining pill. I like Barnes for the bigger heavier animals and Bergers for the lighter ones and using this determination, have never been disappointed in either load. I load my own and have to go back to the old adage that shot placement is always key to successfully dropping an animal. Most of mine are DRT

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.