Berger VLD's Help!!!!

Jess

I am looking for any advise out there. I have been working on develpment of a load for my model 70 300 wsm. I have been trying to get the Berger 168 Grain VLD to shoot but with little success.

I also have a model 70 in 25 wssm and was trying to get the 115 Grain VLD to shot but gave up, any pointer would be appreciated.

What have you tried? What loads have you worked up? What have been your results? What's your OAL?

Both rifles are 1 in 10 twist. I have built many loads with RL19 an IMR 4350. My OAL's have ranged from 2.800 to 2.860.

I'm having great accuracy success using Ramshot Hunter powder with the 300 WSM shooting
168 Berger VLD's.

73.1 grains pushes 3,160 mv.

I sure have I thought at first it might have been me but out of 4 shooters we cant get anything tight

My best luck with the VLDs has come with them touching the lands and I shoot a ladder paying more attention to the Chrono than the paper. The middle of the highest node almost always has provided great accuracy.

Jess sometimes some bullets just will not shoot in a particular gun no matter how you load them. I have found that Accubonds have been one the most accurate hunting bullets I've tried. USUALLY if it won't shoot a accubond it won't shoot anything accurate, but I've got one rifle that flat doesn't like them no matter what I do. If you haven't found a load by now I would move on and try another bullet style or brand.

David

I shoot many different berger bullets but nothing in the 300 short mag. I have found that in all but one of my guns shoots best when I seat the bullets .005 into the lands and grooves. I have also found that loading and load development with these bullets requires alot of patience. Also, try grouping at farther distances like 200 or 300 yards, some say that these bullets might not stabilize and group good at 100 but out at farther distances they will group very well. I have not personally experienced this with any of my guns, but there are many that have. Keep trying and make sure that you do everything right before you get to the range. If neck tensions are different, that could cause inconsistancies, if you get sloppy with the powder, that might play a role. All in all if you do your part and make sure things are as close to perfect before you shoot then it narrows the possibilities down. Just keep trying and have patience because when you find a load that works it will be worth all the trouble that you had to go through. Just my opinion though.

I am just starting to get some good results with 175VLDs and RL22 from my GAP 300WSM. I will say I can't just throw loads together with VLD and make them work to their potential. And one of the most critical things that I'm finding is seating depth. The last batch I loaded just makes one black hole for 5 shots at 100. I will be working with powder charges and farther ranges next because they are only in the 2850-2900fps range now.

berger bullets

dont be afraid to try them way off of the rifling I have 3 guns that shoot them all different. the custom 6.5x47 likes them 20thou in or 50thou off they shoot the same group size xr100 in 223 likes them 10tou off the tikka 308 likes 190 10thou in and 168gr vlds a whopping .160thou off all loads shoot sub .25moa

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.