loading berger vld's

oneshotkyle

does anyone load 30 caliber berger vld's with le wilson bullet seating die?
i see that redding makes a different micrometer top just for seating vld's and it made me wonder if the vld bullet profile can be loaded well using wilson die.

I don't shoot 30cal but seat 26,24,22cal VLDs using Wilson dies. There are occasions when a VLD tip can bottom out in the seater plug, which is all things bad for consistent seating. When I ran into this, I just ran a loose fitting drill bit into the plug to extend the depth & relieve that contact point(bullet tip only).

You might not even run into this issue though.

It is always best to get the right plug for a vld or be careful and pay attention for tip damage. I have seen drilled plugs put a perfect round dimple around the bullet tip as all the force was concentrated to one area. I think some of this could be why there are instances in the field on game that can't be explained. I like to try to get a wide pressure area away from the tip. This is also affected by the amount of force to seat the bullet, and another reason I like to be able to control it with bushing dies and consistant neck tension.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.