Berger VLDH vs Elite Hunter

You have some very good advice from the members here. I'm the head engineer at Berger and because the Ballistics Lap is under my control, I get to see how all the bullets shoot day in and day out. If properly tuned the 140 VLD will shoot just as accurately as the 140 EH. However, the hybrid profile makes for a more forgiving bullet, where jump distance is less critical and the BC is even better. Terminal performance is indistinguishable between the two.
I personally shoot the 140 EH out of my 6.5-300 Wby and it crushes every animal I have shot to date.

Thank you for your input. It's always nice to hear from an authoritative source. Most of us provide our individual experiences but the information that is provided by industry experts is invaluable.

I hope you'll stop in from time-to-time and provide us with your insight on relevant matters.

You have some very good advice from the members here. I'm the head engineer at Berger and because the Ballistics Lap is under my control, I get to see how all the bullets shoot day in and day out. If properly tuned the 140 VLD will shoot just as accurately as the 140 EH. However, the hybrid profile makes for a more forgiving bullet, where jump distance is less critical and the BC is even better. Terminal performance is indistinguishable between the two.
I personally shoot the 140 EH out of my 6.5-300 Wby and it crushes every animal I have shot to date.
Hey is this Bob, I talked to Bob Monday about a load for my 30-378 , using N570, with 230 Hybrid. Thanks

The seating depth closer to the lands is usually has the rawest tiny group accuracy, but is likely the smallest, like 003 of window before it blows the group. As you get further off touch, the windows get bigger and more forgiving but aren't one hole accuracy. However were not shooting f class, we're shooting animals that are within the shooters ability/range. So an elk has a **** near 2moa vital zone at 700y. If your rifle shoots 1/2 moa day in day out with consistent poi, you're money. I usually shoot for 40-70 jump if I have the freebore to keep bullet psi ring up in the neck.

The seating depth closer to the lands is usually has the rawest tiny group accuracy, but is likely the smallest, like 003 of window before it blows the group. As you get further off touch, the windows get bigger and more forgiving but aren't one hole accuracy. However were not shooting f class, we're shooting animals that are within the shooters ability/range. So an elk has a **** near 2moa vital zone at 700y. If your rifle shoots 1/2 moa day in day out with consistent poi, you're money. I usually shoot for 40-70 jump if I have the freebore to keep bullet psi ring up in the neck.
This is so very true, this is why I have said in the past here that when I verify a load at 600, it is often best to accept the load with a slightly larger average group size in ALL conditions than the one that shoots crazy good only on perfect days. The average will spiral out of control on the funky load in bad conditions. This makes that load inferior.

Cheers.

What a great thread! I'm late to the 6.5 Creedmoor game but am planning to handload and hunt with one this fall. I picked up a box of 140 gr Berger Elite Hunters. Good to read all the positive comments about them.

Two years ago I took a muley buck at about 350 yards with the 180 gr Elite Hunter from my 30-06. That worked out well. I'd previously taken three mule deer with the 115 gr Berger VLD's with my 25-06 with excellent results. Those shots were at about 175, 230, and 400 yards. All instant drops.

Rifle is a Bergara B-14 carbon ridge with a 3-15x Leupold.

Best of luck this season all!

Regards, Guy

Attachments

• Bergara-Ridge-Carbon-Overview-Leupold-VX-5HD-3-15x44-Scope-on-the-Bergara-Ridge-Carbon-Rifle-2...jpg
    Bergara-Ridge-Carbon-Overview-Leupold-VX-5HD-3-15x44-Scope-on-the-Bergara-Ridge-Carbon-Rifle-2...jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
What a great thread! I'm late to the 6.5 Creedmoor game but am planning to handload and hunt with one this fall. I picked up a box of 140 gr Berger Elite Hunters. Good to read all the positive comments about them.

Two years ago I took a muley buck at about 350 yards with the 180 gr Elite Hunter from my 30-06. That worked out well. I'd previously taken three mule deer with the 115 gr Berger VLD's with my 25-06 with excellent results. Those shots were at about 175, 230, and 400 yards. All instant drops.

Rifle is a Bergara B-14 carbon ridge with a 3-15x Leupold.

Best of luck this season all!

Regards, Guy
Good luck Guy, especially with that new fangled rifle - if I recall correctly you're a blued steel and wood guy!

Good luck Guy, especially with that new fangled rifle - if I recall correctly you're a blued steel and wood guy!

Ya.. I know... Synthetic stock, coated action steel, carbon fiber wrapped barrel... Strangeness indeed! :)

Yes, I am quite fond of more traditional hunting rifles, like this Springfield:

Regards, Guy

Attachments

• Springfield Man 9.jpg
    Springfield Man 9.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 42