175gr Berger Elite Hunter

I run the 175 Berger Elite in my .280AI @ 2975fps. They are ridiculously accurate, and worked very well on game last year.
Impressive velicity. I've just ordered some for my .280 ai to try. What powder and how much are you using? I was going to try re26 to start with.

The 180 eldm worked good on deer and antelope in a 7 saum for me, but quit them after shooting 2 elk with them. I will am shooting the 175 Berger now with RL23
@ 3020 for next elk season. I hope they work better !!

The 180 eldm worked good on deer and antelope in a 7 saum for me, but quit them after shooting 2 elk with them. I will am shooting the 175 Berger now with RL23

Nosler brass
Fed GM210M
RL23
175 Elite

Start low, work up. Probably start around 53.0-54.0gr. My load is over book, but safe in my rifle. No signs of pressure, but just below max.

This is sage advice for the 280AI with the Berger 175 EH. Just shot an OCW with velocities in the 2930-2975 range that are all very good. I'll load for seating depth this week and hope to find a final load.

Loonie,

Could you tell your experience with the 180 eldm on elk. Speed, distance, rifle twist and results.

Thanks

Loonie,

Could you tell your experience with the 180 eldm on elk. Speed, distance, rifle twist and results.

Thanks
7 Saum 8 twist 2970. 420 yards off bipod, shot a bull standing broadside dead center in the shoulder instead of rib shot. Wanted it to drop were he was standing! He just stood there. I figured he would flop over after a minute. when he turned around like he was going to walk I shot him on the other side. Again he just stood there. Then I shot him in the neck, hit a little low under neck bone and he just walked behind a tree and stood there. layed down after awhile and took 20 minutes to die. I couldn't get another bullet in him behind the tree. Could see the holes in him thru scope when he was standing. one of them big like it exploded on impact. Other shot got one lung, not enough bullet left to get both of them. I believe they are too fragile for elk. He should of been dead on first shot !! Would like to hear results of he 175 EH on elk. Shot a lot of elk with the 180 vld. Most of the time they work good but once in awhile they don't seem to open up enough !

Bigngreen

Could you give the conditions of some of the failures? I am wondering if using this bullet as a long range bullet and staying away for the shoulder would yield higher results.

My one experience with elk was positive.

QUOTE="bigngreen, post: 1680865, member: 13632"]Very mixed results!![/QUOTE]

Thanks.

My one experience was positive. 600 yards broadside no shouler. 8 twist 3109 FPS MV.

Wobble and down.

QUOTE="loonie, post: 1681775, member: 59678"]7 Saum 8 twist 2970. 420 yards off bipod, shot a bull standing broadside dead center in the shoulder instead of rib shot. Wanted it to drop were he was standing! He just stood there. I figured he would flop over after a minute. when he turned around like he was going to walk I shot him on the other side. Again he just stood there. Then I shot him in the neck, hit a little low under neck bone and he just walked behind a tree and stood there. layed down after awhile and took 20 minutes to die. I couldn't get another bullet in him behind the tree. Could see the holes in him thru scope when he was standing. one of them big like it exploded on impact. Other shot got one lung, not enough bullet left to get both of them. I believe they are too fragile for elk. He should of been dead on first shot !! Would like to hear results of he 175 EH on elk. Shot a lot of elk with the 180 vld. Most of the time they work good but once in awhile they don't seem to open up enough ![/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts