Berger VLDH vs Elite Hunter

The_Whitetail_kid

Difference in the two? Specifically in 6.5, 140 elite and 140 vld. Heard the 140 elite was less finicky but wasn't sure. Any difference on game performance?

Elites have a hybrid ogive that is longer than the VLD making the BC better. The 140 elites is what I shoot on deer here in Texas. I use them on mule deer also. Budding shoots elk with them and loves them for elk. I've shot deer with them since they have come out and they are all DRT. They do that stiff leg drop dead thing everyone is use to seeing on the sendero shots lol. They are less finicky for sure. Easy to load. They shoot awesome.

Elites have a hybrid ogive that is longer than the VLD making the BC better. The 140 elites is what I shoot on deer here in Texas. I use them on mule deer also. Budding shoots elk with them and loves them for elk. I've shot deer with them since they have come out and they are all DRT. They do that stiff leg drop dead thing everyone is use to seeing on the sendero shots lol. They are less finicky for sure. Easy to load. They shoot awesome.
I've got the 140 VLD's shooting great in one of my guns, but struggling to get it to shoot in another. That's why I was thinking about the elite.

I have used both.
They kill the same.
Once you find the searing depth a VLD likes, it is a laser beam.
I do find thenHyb shape to be a bit more forgiving.

But once you find thw depth for each, I don't see any accuracy difference.
Lance is spot on. Ive found theres a .004- .005 window " node " in seating depth were they really shoot if your gun is tuned right.

I'm using the 140 elite hunters in my 6.5 PRC. They were easy to work up a load for. I've not shot any game with them yet but have shot them out to 1200 on steel. I plan on using them this fall for mule deer
Do you mind sharing your load data? I am thinking of working up a load for my prc with 140s.

Do you mind sharing your load data? I am thinking of working up a load for my prc with 140s.
Straight from Berger. In mine I shoot 57 grains h1000 with 140 vld with 15 thousandths jump.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 192
I've got the 140 VLD's shooting great in one of my guns, but struggling to get it to shoot in another. That's why I was thinking about the elite.
Difference in the two? Specifically in 6.5, 140 elite and 140 vld. Heard the 140 elite was less finicky but wasn't sure. Any difference on game performance?
You have some very good advice from the members here. I'm the head engineer at Berger and because the Ballistics Lap is under my control, I get to see how all the bullets shoot day in and day out. If properly tuned the 140 VLD will shoot just as accurately as the 140 EH. However, the hybrid profile makes for a more forgiving bullet, where jump distance is less critical and the BC is even better. Terminal performance is indistinguishable between the two.
I personally shoot the 140 EH out of my 6.5-300 Wby and it crushes every animal I have shot to date.

You have some very good advice from the members here. I'm the head engineer at Berger and because the Ballistics Lap is under my control, I get to see how all the bullets shoot day in and day out. If properly tuned the 140 VLD will shoot just as accurately as the 140 EH. However, the hybrid profile makes for a more forgiving bullet, where jump distance is less critical and the BC is even better. Terminal performance is indistinguishable between the two.
I personally shoot the 140 EH out of my 6.5-300 Wby and it crushes every animal I have shot to date.
Thank you. I have always had luck getting Berger to shoot well close to the lands, but the one gun I'm struggling with, 6.5x284, is extremely long throated and I can't get the bullet close to the lands and still in the neck enough to be comfortable with it as a hunting load. That's why I was wondering about the elite being less sensitive to seating depth.